Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weapon question for war     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Weapon question for war

I am in kind of a strage spot on my war. After talking with a few friends i was still stuck because many said different things... I have blu blm and rdm to 75 and 8/8 sword merits last night i dinged 70 main handing Fransisca and then in my off hand I placed my trusty Joyeuse. Shortly after my party broke and a 75 mnk friend of mine said the norm grats checked me liked joy but said i needed to upgrade my main axe bad. I have Maneater waiting for 73 but at 70 there isnt much of an option for axe's under a mil.

So now it comes down to this for a exp pt i am thinking

Company Sword in a full exp pt D58 Deley 264 VS Rune D45 276 and last option I seem to have is a Nadziak D46 312 deley

I like rune better and company sword the best since vorpal is a 4 hit weapon skill and rampage is only one more but the first hit at half with the same mods.

I am new to real melee so i am sorry if this is to newb for the newb forums but any help I would appreciate Thank you

Assuming you cant borrow a jugger, and dont have a lolRidill- Company Sword is as good option until woods/maneater. With sword merits your skill should be about even on axe/sword. Vorpal is pretty good damage with merits.

Yea there about the same. Thanks i was hopeing it would work for a little while company just seemed good for now but the general idea i see is lolsword and lolvorpal but seems strong to me when i use it if i am geared correctly.

Thanks again i dont want to be one of the gimp wars walking around ^^

go camp for a Acha d'armas, offhand joyeuse.

problem solved.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fusional
    go camp for a Acha d'armas, offhand joyeuse.

problem solved.

^
    QFT

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Fully merited, Company Sword will probably come out either dead even or on top of Acha d'Armas.

Pre-ToAU I would agree that you should camp the Acha, but now that you can go from 70-75 leisurely in less than a week there's no sense in it. Company/Joyeuse will work well, especially with your sword merits.

rampage > vorpal blade

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Right, because one extra swing in WS is going to make up for the extra DoT you're doing because of the lower delay AND 8 extra base damage.

guess i should go 8/8 sword merits and go company/joy, too, then.

Oh and trust me I now have 61 K-Seals 125k gil lots of beast seals and 10 lv's of shield on my rdm from solo'ing that damn axe. I went 0/8 and lv'd slowly while i camped it but now that I hit 70 comp was sitting there thats all ^^.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Windred Sayna
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Turalyon

Tabarzin at 71 should be pretty cheap.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ferien
    Right, because one extra swing in WS is going to make up for the extra DoT you're doing because of the lower delay AND 8 extra base damage.
    More like half a swing, since Rampage's first hit is only half damage.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Fusional
    guess i should go 8/8 sword merits and go company/joy, too, then.

Is your WAR 70 without a Juggernaut? Because that's pretty much the only way it's better. Parsing against a Tabarzin at 71, which is *gasp* better than Acha d'Armas is at 70, with 7 merits, Company was dead even. However, better axes (like the standard Juggy, Maneater, or Woodville's) will beat it, as will a higher skill differential between Axe and Sword (such as you get after 70).

If you're going to be an asshole, make sure you're doing it to people who haven't actually fucking tested the combination. From 60 until you get either Juggernaut, Maneater, or Woodville's Axe, bastard-class Swords will outparse any axe of the same level.

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Gonna ask this in here since I just had this crazy, possibly stupid idea.. but at lv54 (Rampage after merits), would it be stupid to offhand Mercurial Kris until some better axes/swords? WAR has B- in Dagger.. just wondering if the 2-3 attacks would do good for spamming Rampage at that level.

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

I'd say yes. Rampage isn't even all that zomg until you get merits, endgame gear, VT mobs and crap. You'd probably be much better off keeping your melee average higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferien
    ownage
    wow hehe

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Late 60's does kind of suck for weapon choices, since the Franny is starting to fall behind.

You could camp Acha, I know a few people that went 1/1, I myself went 0/13 and my buddy went 1/9.

Tabarzin at 71 is a really nice choice, and I would go for this until Maneater.

If you can't afford a Juggy and have capped Sword, use a Company/Joy combo. I tried this out a few times and parsed almost the same Franny/Joy and Company/Joy.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Furionstormrage
    Late 60's does kind of suck for weapon choices, since the Franny is starting to fall behind.

You could camp Acha, I know a few people that went 1/1, I myself went 0/13 and my buddy went 1/9.

Tabarzin at 71 is a really nice choice, and I would go for this until Maneater.

If you can't afford a Juggy and have capped Sword, use a Company/Joy combo. I tried this out a few times and parsed almost the same Franny/Joy and Company/Joy.
    Capped Sword merits give you a phenomenal option for that area: Espadon +1. It's got an amazing DPS rating and some extra attack tacked on. It makes for some pretty powerful WS as well...I hit my highest Vorpal Blade (998) at 67, and didn't beat it until I could equip Woodville's.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I talked to Damon in game, suggested the Company Sword / Joy combo as well. Decided to mess around with the Company Sword in dynamis as well, landed a 1300 Vorpal Blade lol. At 75 I prefer Axe / Axe and Meat; but you could still pull off a ME + Joy combo then.