BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Early Bird Catches the Wyrm without Chainspell Stun

I didn't want to make a new thread just for this, but I asked in random questions and didn't get an answer.

Basically, I want to know what is a comfortable amount of BLMs you would need to do this without Chainspell Stun. My LS has done this fight before multiple times, but we've always used CS Stun. I'd like to not have to rely on this in order to use more orbs.

I assume the gist of the strat is to Light Skillchain when it's close to 70%, then MB. Then instead of chainspell stunning, you do a normal stun chain while nuking and having RNGs go nuts to get it back down?

Thanks.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

We use 8 and have no problem..

Strat is get to like 75% or so ...

SC and MB (or Just nuke) it then flies and is already at 50%, one more volley she lands again....

Can have one or 2 rdm/drk and just toss a stun or two while it flies

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

We just nuke then stun with about five BLM, while having RNGs go nuts.

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

We did a number of runs of this BC just fine without many Rng or Blm. We had 1 Rng & I think 4-5 Blm. Had melees setup an SC to go off around 71-72%, Blm bursted off that and then follow it up with Stuns/Nukes. Wasn't all that bad really, we did bring Rdm/Drk in reserve so that if the fight did get ugly you always have that option in case it's needed.

Either Nin or ???/Nin for tanks though, Wyrm hits incredibly hard when it gets below 30%.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Think we had.. 4 blm and 0 rng? Not the fastest fight in the world, but in no danger of wipe or timeout.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dammerung
    Think we had.. 4 blm and 0 rng? Not the fastest fight in the world, but in no danger of wipe or timeout.
    4 BLM no RNG...

Did you have some other jobs stun locking it? Cause flame blast is pretty gay

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Fire res tanks, the blm died alot

x2 nin/drk and at least 1 other rdm/drk

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Blu headbutt stuns this also.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

the ls im in have been doing this latetly, first time we used 2 nin/drks, but the wings were a real pain, today i went pld/nin instead and the tank party was in a good hp range the whole time, the fire damage is almost nonexistant with 300+ fire resist, flame breath wasnt that bad either.

The one thing that I really hated was the Hurricain wing.

Also pro tip, make sure no one runs in at start when the tanks are engaging, breath challenge is not fun lol. (good to start with a stun, and have someone else ready to stun right after in case he decides to do it right after the stun)

overall, i find this bc a lot easier than the Behemoth one :s

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Re: .

Quote Originally Posted by weeee
    the ls im in have been doing this latetly, first time we used 2 nin/drks, but the wings were a real pain, today i went pld/nin instead and the tank party was in a good hp range the whole time, the fire damage is almost nonexistant with 300+ fire resist, flame breath wasnt that bad either.

Also pro tip, make sure no one runs in at start when the tanks are engaging, breath challenge is not fun lol. (good to start with a stun, and have someone else ready to stun right after in case he decides to do it right after the stun)

QFT.

My LS was on something like Round#6 or #7, always prone to a bit of sloppiness. I had just started to go in to position it and pretty much the entire alliance ran in straight behind me, Wyrm then did Breath directly forward at them, killed like 6-7 people. Wasn't too bad to recover though, he's pretty wussy that first 30%

Once we figured out that Hurrcane Wing is not wind based but water based (barwatera -really- shines) and thus got the right bars up, my LS has been doing this with 5 blms and a few sam/rng's and a blu (I really love Cannonball) without chainstun. RDM's are still /drk, because additional stuns are always useful though.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aihree
    Once we figured out that Hurrcane Wing is not wind based but water based (barwatera -really- shines) and thus got the right bars up, my LS has been doing this with 5 blms and a few sam/rng's and a blu (I really love Cannonball) without chainstun. RDM's are still /drk, because additional stuns are always useful though.
    water based???

I assumed the element of a wing from a wyrm was the same as the status effect inflicted (plague = fire, paralyze = ice, slow = earth, blind = dark, etc).

Ashira

Quote Originally Posted by Mashu
    Quote Originally Posted by Aihree
    water based???

I assumed the element of a wing from a wyrm was the same as the status effect inflicted (plague = fire, paralyze = ice, slow = earth, blind = dark, etc).
    It'd be dark based if paralleling other wyrms, nor would a fire based mob have a water based move. Furthermore, a barspell alone wouldn't do squat for damage resist except for the odd 10% chance of helping (did Barfira at level 25 ever *really* do much for Gobbie Bomb Tosses in Kazham or Barwatera/-aera for Cursed Sphere wherever (whichever your WHMs decided the element was )); need much higher numbers than that.

We do Fire Resist NIN/DRK tank(s), one person outside alliance on original pull to avoid drawins to breath (I know now from previous thread on this same thing that that's avoidable, but just easier to coordinate), fight like Fafhogg first 33%, BLMs scatter and chain nuke until it's down another 33% (10k damage), and then back in for Fafhogg style again to the end.

TSwiftie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Vrtra is dark, but causes sleep :/ You'd be able to tell if Hurricane Wing is actualli water based just by the mdb% on a bar-meritted WHM. Is it realli water... I've never heard any conclusive evidence for which element faf/wyrm hurricane wing was.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Garret

QFT.

My LS was on something like Round#6 or #7, always prone to a bit of sloppiness. I had just started to go in to position it and pretty much the entire alliance ran in straight behind me, Wyrm then did Breath directly forward at them, killed like 6-7 people. Wasn't too bad to recover though, he's pretty wussy that first 30%
    Same thing happened to use, but instead it nearly wiped our entire group. We lost about 9-11 people and had alot of trouble raising because most of those people who had died were the ones with raise.

That breath can get really nasty if your not ready for it.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Nerfed has done a couple of KS99 runs, and we always tend to lose the first and win the rest (probably due to complacency). Normally we start with NIN/DRK stunning, then a second stun as everyone runs in and gets into position (though there was this BLM that kept managing to get breath'd at the start of the fight on our first set of runs). Then go in, SC +MB once or twice (with the BLMs nuking lightly to keep MP for when it goes airborne). Once it flies, RNG and BLM unload on it to get it on the ground again, and melees SC once or twice more. Also, barfira/carol is put on when it goes into the air (all parties, depending on availability) and tanks have +resist or -magicdmg%

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Sidanoir
    We use 8 and have no problem..

Strat is get to like 75% or so ...

SC and MB (or Just nuke) it then flies and is already at 50%, one more volley she lands again....

Can have one or 2 rdm/drk and just toss a stun or two while it flies
    almost exactly what we do, except we just have the blms in a "stun order" for random stuns while it flies. Up and down in about 20 seconds.

4-5 blms in a stun rotation is about the min you can roll with due to recast times, going out of turn and resists.