Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Redmage specific merits     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Redmage specific merits

What, in your opinion, is the best way to spend the section 1 and 2 merits?

I have a buddy whose a RDM, and I'd love to give him some informed info ^^ From my first glance(Note: I'm not a rdm, so please tell me if I'm wrong), maximizing earth and ice would be best, to maximize the chance to land slow 2 and paralyze 2.

Section 2, I'd guess 1 into bio 3, 1 into phalanx 2, 2 into slow 2 and 2 into paralyze 2, for a well rounded RDM.

What do you think?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Re: Redmage specific merits

Quote Originally Posted by Tulun
    What, in your opinion, is the best way to spend the section 1 and 2 merits?

I have a buddy whose a RDM, and I'd love to give him some informed info ^^ From my first glance(Note: I'm not a rdm, so please tell me if I'm wrong), maximizing earth and ice would be best, to maximize the chance to land slow 2 and paralyze 2.

Section 2, I'd guess 1 into bio 3, 1 into phalanx 2, 2 into slow 2 and 2 into paralyze 2, for a well rounded RDM.

What do you think?
    It depends on what you do as a RDM.

A RDM in my Salvage LS agreed to merit Phalanx II, as its use in Salvage is common in some areas.

If you don't have a specific use for Phalanx II, I've found most RDMs seem to put 3 into Paralyze II and 3 into Slow II. But again, it depends on what you do a lot.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by WizerdRemora

A RDM in my Salvage LS agreed to merit Phalanx II, as its use in Salvage is common in some areas.

If you don't have a specific use for Phalanx II, I've found most RDMs seem to put 3 into Paralyze II and 3 into Slow II. But again, it depends on what you do a lot.
    I'll talk with him specifically, but I'd imagine he'd be a more all purpose RDM (could be placed in any situtation and do okay). I'll ask him when I see him log next ^^

Are my earth and ice merit suggestions on the money?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tulun
    Quote Originally Posted by WizerdRemora

I'll talk with him specifically, but I'd imagine he'd be a more all purpose RDM (could be placed in any situtation and do okay). I'll ask him when I see him log next ^^

Are my earth and ice merit suggestions on the money?
    I think most do Wind and Ice but I could be mistaken. Gravity/Silence are usually more important than Slow, especially since Gravity builds resistance.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

be a solo rdm! 5 convert, 5 ice, 3 bio, 3 w/e

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm not a rdm but if I did have it lvled (and felt like I hated my life) I would just max earth/ice and slow2/para2 and just wear more mind gear to increase the potency of both. For stuff like silence/gravity, there is no scale of power based on mnd etc, so you would wear just full enf for that stuff.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I still haven't finished my Group 1 RDM merits mostly because I've been trying to decide how to break them up.

ATM I've got:
    3 Slow II
    3 Para II

3 Ice acc
    2 Wind acc

I may end up going 5 ice acc, 2 wind acc, and 3 earth acc(lolwut?). I really don't have problems landing silence or gravity(unless it's a nearly impossible to enfeeble mob) anyway so I figure it might help to make sure my Slow II lands 100%. ¯\(O_o)/¯

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Usually people tend to focus more on Wind/Ice. Tier II enfeebles, like AM2 nukes, have built in Magic Accuracy.
    Convert merits are also nice for a lot of things. Personally I have 4 Convert 3 Ice 3 Wind for category 1.

Category II, generally, the big winner is Slow II. Unless your friend is meriting as part of a team where someone else has that merited, they'll probably want to get that.

Outside of that, what they'd find a use for. Paralyze II is not too impressive. Dia and Bio III have a duration of only 30 seconds for base. That could be useful, could mean you burn a lot more MP. Blind II...I think there's a person or two on each server that has merited. Could ask them >_>

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

common accepted practices for a HNM red mage when it comes to category I merits was always 5ice/5wind. And the biggest reason for Wind is definitely Gravity when it comes to HNMs/Sky/Sea....you're not going to silence them with any reliability no matter what enfeebling skill level you have. I've seen 340+ RDMs go entire God fights without landing crap, and I've seen 302 RDMs land silence on Kirin (hell I've seen BRD land Silence on Kirin firsthand, not just the screenshots on forums).

Earth Accuracy merits "might" have a place now with the addition of Slow II, which is by far the biggest win of the RDM category II merits. In my opinion every RDM should at least unlock it, and someone in every endgame shell should max it out. But honestly, spending 5 upgrades in Earth Accuracy would be completely lolworthy. It only benefits one spell, doesn't benefit a useful nuke, and a resisted slow isn't nearly as deadly as a resisted bind, gravity, or silence.

The current trend in category I seems to be a combination of covert recast merits along with either ice, wind, or a mix of the two. Many RDMs max out convert recast, not just soloers. It has its place in endgame events, meripo parties, etc. Personally after I finish leveling up BLM and return to my half merited RDM, I do plan on throwing 3 upgrades into convert to drop a minute off of it, but not the requisite 5 that many will. Then it will likely be 3 in wind and 4 in ice (currently 2 in each).

Category II merits should be balanced among RDMs in your endgame shell. Someone should have Bio III, someone should have Dia III, and preferably at least 2 upgrades in them for at least the 1 minute duration, considering the MP cost. Someone should have fully merited Slow II and someone else Paralyze II. If you find yourself frequently in tank parties in Dynamis, or as mentioned earlier supporting in Salvage, a fully merited Phalanx II has its place...it can do wonders on MNK type mobs. Blind II is about the only trust "waste" of merits if you ask most RDMs.

Tough part comes if you're a merc. RDM that shell hops a lot. In that case the most "accepted" way to spend your merits would likely be 2 in slow II, 2 in para II, and 2 in Dia III, esp. if your shells do a lot of meleeburn of endgame events. If they are more PLD/WAR straight tank organized, 3 in Phalanx II, 2 in Bio III, and 1 in Slow II is a good option.

A final note- most RDMs agree (this one too based on anectdotal experiences) that a once-merited Slow II is more accurate than Slow, but a once-merited Paralyze II isn't as accurate as a Paralyze, or at best its the same. Just something to ponder over.

I have no idea tbh
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I went 3ice/3wind/4vert for tier 1.

Of the tier 2 spells Slow2 is the clear winner and worth capping. Dia3 generally favored over Bio3.

Depends what you do. Avesta went 5 ice, 5 vert or so i hear....he also went 8xenfeebling but most of us don't do that.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

For the Tier 2 Merits definately put 3 into Slow 2, the % of slow and accuracy gained from this is well worth it. The other 3 in this catergory are yours to do as you please with really, but its not worth only putting 1 into dia/bio3 as at stage 1 they only last 30 seconds.

For the tier 1 merits so far I have 3 ice and 2 wind, with 2 on vert. If you fully merit Slow 2 you shouldnt particually need any earth acc.

I've gotten Slow II merited to full, working on Phalanx II. Phalanx II's been more useful than I thought it'd be, especially when working with other RDM's who normally drop Paralyze II on a monster. It's nice being able to soften the hits on people, saves quite a bit of healing in the long run when you have that one person who can't seem to avoid being slapped...and it's just fun to toss on people, watch them start getting the occasional 0-damage hit and freak out. Dia III is situational (I'd single-merit that for the now-and-then DEF down boost), Bio III VERY situational (DoT solo, basically), and most folks will tell you to skip Blind II entirely.

Likely going to drop my merits into Convert, Ice and Wind 4/3/3. I figure the fully merited Slow II should be fine, and that's about it for Earth- Ice works for Paralyze/Bind/Blizzard III, Wind for Gravity/Silence, and cutting some time off of Convert means more MP over time.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

For Group 2 I went 3 Phalanx II 1 Dia III 2 Paralyze II.

I have lv3 Phalanx II, my other 3 points keep getting mixed around (too much indeciveness on my part) I'll probably eventually go with bio III to be honest to Lv3 and call it quits on touching rdm tier II

tier I: I don't care for earth cause the things that are hard to slow, it's often called on to have a ES slow order with rdm and whms, Ice is good for solo work, for blizzard III and bind.

Wind merits.... lol, sorry, accuracy of gravity is high even with "built up resistance". It's the duration resistance on repeated gravity cast that hurts the most, and wind acc merits do nothing to slow down or prevent that duration resist build up.

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

3 Slow II, 2 Paralyze II, 1 Dia III is what I'll end up doing. Have to delete the Phalanx II I already got.

Subduer of the Squenix
    BG Level

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15417

To summarize:

It's all about how your friend wants to play the game. RDM is an extremely versitile job and can do a lot. Someone who predominantly solos with have different merit priorities from someone who does small team farming (eg duo with a NIN) vs someone who does mostly HNMs.

Group 1 favorites:

Earth Acc
    Ice Acc
    Wind Acc
    Convert Recast

Group 2 favorites:

Slow II
    Phalanx II
    Paralyze II
    Bio III
    Dia III

note: if you are going to stick merits into Bio III or Dia III PLEASE know how to use them..

If the RDM is predominantly for soloing, Bio III is decent. Dia III is best used for a skillchain on a HNM as it's duration is short for a high MP cost.

My RDM Merits:

Group1:

5/5 Convert Recast
    3/5 Earth Accuracy
    2/5 Ice Accuracy

Group2:

3/3 Phalanx II
    3/3 Slow II

I mostly use my RDM for small group things. (Farming duo with my friend, assault, salvage, xp). Phalanx II is fantastic for duoing things and for salvage. Slow II is great for.. everything. I use almost full MND gear for it since I have no problem landing it. Since I do a lot of small man stuff with my RDM and I'm often the only/primary healer, Convert recast is essential for me. Since I didn't have a problem landing slow II in max MND gear with 3 Earth Acc merits, I threw the other 2 into Ice Acc to help with Paralyze.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Honestly, you should have your friend ask him/herself since that would be the only person who knows what he/she wants to do with said merits.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My thoughts on Slow/Para distribution (i.e. 3 in one, 2 in the other, if you don't cap both) were slightly different. I figured, the biggest difference you will see with 1 extra merit would be in Paralyze II, not Slow II.

For Slow II, you'll get another 2% out of it, but for Paralyze II, it may mean the difference between a proc and no proc. Not sure exactly how Paralyze works, but if it doesn't go off, it's useless. On the other hand, Slow works no matter what, the extra merit is just the difference between 34% and 36% (or whatever the cap was).

Now, if the only difference it makes for Paralyze II is +2% chance to proc, then that'd be pretty gay and probably not worth it. But I'm not sure how Paralyze works, so I guess its more placebo than anything.

New Merits
    BG Level

Convert merits are godly: +20% MP over time is useful no matter what you do.

After that, whatever mix of Ice, Wind, and Earth Acc you prefer.
    Ice: useful for Bind, full-MND Paralyze, and (C-skill) Blizzard III
    Wind: Grav and Silence can be cast in full +skill gear but they're incredibly important to stick so these merits are useful on tough stuff
    Earth: Useful for full-MND Slow

For group II, it's worth noting that multiple RDM with diverse merits will be stronger as a group than a bunch of RDM who follow some conventional wisdom.

That said, Blind II and Bio III seem kinda meh. I heard Kurayami:Ni overwrites Blind II, and it's unlikely that Blind II is potent enough to make HNMs miss. Bio III commits the cardinal sin of overwriting Dia, and is less dmg per MP if you use Bio for solo kite kills.

The other 4 merit spells are all quite strong--I'd recommend picking two and maxing them since they're not really worth the MP until they hit Lv3 modification.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Depends heavily on what you do with RDM, but the MAcc gains are rarely going to be as downright useful as 5/5 Convert, provided you can actually spend all your MP in 8:20.

Phalanx II is situational, if you do a lot of Salvage or a lot of Wyrms and are a tank-party RDM a lot, 3/3 is godly.

If not, 3 Slow/Para II is probably the best way to go.

In my opinion, you just don't get enough out of Dia/Bio III to make it worth spending merit points on them, you have to give up too much to make either decent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast