Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

At Fafnir as BLM; equipment questions.

So last night was my first time really using BLM for anything apart from Sea or soloing (Went to Fafnir as BLM, usually PLD or BRD); I had a couple decent 1300 + Burst II etc. I know everyone has seen those 1700 + nukes on him, but I was wondering if that's normal or just random.

I have full 8/8 HQ staves, 5/5 Ice/Thunder merits, 4 Elemental merits / 4 enfeebling merits, unlocked Burst II, and my gear is as follows:

HQ Stave
    AF Head
    Phantom Tathlum
    Uggy Pendant/Elemental Torque
    Loq. Earring / Moldavite earring
    Weskit
    Z mitts / AF hands
    Diamond Rings x 2
    Rainbow cape
    Penitents rope
    Jet Seraweels
    Rostrum pumps

Listen, I know my gear isn't all that great as opposed to career BLM, so I guess I'm asking what career BLM use to boost their damage on HNM. If anyone could provide tips on what I should pick up I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

most times the really high ones are when its lightningday + 2x weather with obi on.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

HQ staves, loq earring, ugg pendants, etc... then knowledge rings?

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva
    HQ staves, loq earring, ugg pendants, etc... then knowledge rings?
    Sorry, I have Diamond rings; not completely awake yet.

That gear is fine. Prism cape and Snow rings or omniscient rings would be nice. The huge epeen MBs are gonna be with af2 legs, af2 gloves, static earring, sea obis, JSE ring. Those can really increase the dmg by a lot.

So yeah, you're headed along the right lines. You definitely need sea obis and some af2 would be nice situationally.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Why the fuck do people wear Loquacious on BLM?

Edit:-

If you argue for fast cast, we "all" know how great warlock mantle is, so why not get that as well? /sarcasm off

If you argue it's for the 30MP, you belong to the group BLM's that wear Astrals to nuke.

Quote Originally Posted by wop
    Only time I ever wear Loq on BLM is when I'm soloing. Otherwise I don't see much of a point in wearing it either.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by izembo
    most times the really high ones are when its lightningday + 2x weather with obi on.
    This is correct. Also a Novio Earring with the magic attack ring can also increase the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by wop

Edit:-

If you argue for fast cast, we "all" know how great warlock mantle is, so why not get that as well? /sarcasm off

If you argue it's for the 30MP, you belong to the group BLM's that wear Astrals to nuke.
    You try to manage having 7 jobs at 75 and keeping all the gear on one character.

I am elvaan, the MP helps. I don't see how an extra 2 INT is going to help me when I already have about +40 or so on my BLM when Nuking.

Shuemue, thank you for not being cuntish and giving me an actual reply that was worth reading.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Is there any reason not to just wear the loq, than macro the int/MAB/static earring in during the casting of a nuke, and gain the effects of both? That's how I do everything on brd.

Yigit body -> macro errant in and out for debuff
    Rostrum pumps -> macro sha'ir in and out for debuff
    Loq. earring -> macro melody+1 in and out for debuff
    etc.

As a long time BLM, I stopped worrying about putting out those big numbers quite awhile ago. It's better to stay alive and throw 10 nukes that do 1000 each rather than throw 3 nukes that do 1400 and end up with your face in the ground y'know?

To answer your question though, here are some gear you can get to boost your dmg:

Desamilion Earring (damn you elvaans)
    Snow Ring x 1/2
    Sorc's Ring (and force yellow obviously)
    Prism cape/Merciful cape
    Goliard Clogs
    AF+1 helm or demon+1(lose mp and -enmity here though)
    elemental obis to macro in for the day

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Jackyl
    As a long time BLM, I stopped worrying about putting out those big numbers quite awhile ago. It's better to stay alive and throw 10 nukes that do 1000 each rather than throw 3 nukes that do 1400 and end up with your face in the ground y'know?

To answer your question though, here are some gear you can get to boost your dmg:

Desamilion Earring (damn you elvaans)
    Snow Ring x 1/2
    Sorc's Ring (and force yellow obviously)
    Prism cape/Merciful cape
    Goliard Clogs
    AF+1 helm or demon+1(lose mp and -enmity here though)
    elemental obis to macro in for the day
    Yeah I'm a career BLM and yeah this is going to sound weird, but I agree with Jackyl here. I've learned in the last few years to manage hate very well and concentrate almost solely on survival. I still have my super-omgwtf gear though in case we get the call to go all out. For a BLM on this game its having the ABILITY to go super-fucking-saiyan when you want to but not doing it all the time (hardly any of the time is more like it).

Your numbers and gear are fine for Fafnir OP. Fafnir is an lolHNM who doesn't resist much and even people without elemental magic merited or with a lot of elemental gear can land decent numbers on him. If you truly desire high numbers, you need obis + AF2 pants + AF2 gloves + merits and lots of MAB gear. Other than that, there's no point in getting these items for anything other than a little epeen blast every now and then (Yeah I nerf myself numberwise and boost myself magic skill+ wise for normal nukes and every now and then if we MB/I get bored I'll put on all my blasting gear). The only upgrades you might want to make are the aforementioned cape + rings. Other than that you're going to find you function just fine in most cases. Unless your shell manaburns wyrms or other HNMs in which case you need upper-level power mages, you should run into little to no problems no matter where or what your shell is fighting.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Sorcerer ring (and the associated zenith, astral signa, asklepios, etc to trigger latent - gonna take a bit for elvaan) and obi's are the two easiest ways to gain a big boost in damage. Once you go sorcerer ring, you won't want to go back.

And yea, I wear loq. earring on my blm (left side) - I'm not a career blm, and haven't done Apoc Nigh yet to get a better earring. I don't think anyone was advocating using Phantom over Loq., those are both 'trash' in comparison to the other alternatives.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

to add to hap, i dont feel like posting a wall of text.

better to get avg good dmg than 10 nukes of 100.

af gloves and elem. torque. go full nuke setup(Upendant, zenith) when eseal is up unless your ls isnt confident in winning without sleeping

you wont see 1900 burst II's without day, weather, jsering, obis and situational effects like threnody landed or added bonuses from cors or smns

when you can land over 1100 consistently then remove some eskill

imo , 1200 is respectable, anything over 1500 is damn good, 1900+ and your about to get chomp chomped! lol

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Use full ele skill if you're freenuking. If you're magic bursting, go all out. You won't get resisted on Fafnir. Get a Sorc. Ring and some gear to force the latent before you worry about snow rings, prism cape, etc. Yigit Crackows if you can get enough AP. Replace the head with AF+1 or better yet demon+1... the enmity- will not make a difference ever. Go get sea obis. It only takes a couple hours to get rairin/hyorin/anrin, the important ones. Get a better earring. I'm assuming you took Rajas so you'll be stuck needing a snow ring eventually, but worry about the 1 INT upgrades last.

Other than that, you'll need AF2, static/novio, all HQ gear, etc. Get a Spirit Lantern if you're bored and really want epeen numbers. Anyway, Sorc.Ring is the most bang for your buck if you can get gear to activate it.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I usually do a good -enmity build so i can just free nuke whenever the fuck I please. During Weather time though...lol, full int/mab for some sick dmg but i keep my errant cape on. I've landed 2k burst'2 and didn't pull hate.

HQ Staves
    AF+1 hat
    Weskit
    Zenith mitts/AF hands
    Phantom tathlum or lantern
    Moldavite/abyssal/
    Tamas/Omniscient
    Penitent's rope/obi if weather/day
    Mahatma slops/AF2 legs if weather/day
    Rostrum pumps/crackows
    Prism cape

That's what I nuke in, 'cause I'm too broke/lazy to afford a sorcerer's ring. But I try not to get into yellow HP, don't want to screw anything up for moar e-peen.

I usually just stick to Water III, Water IV, Thunder III, and Thunder IV. Burst II under 10% onry.