+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls IV     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Elder Scrolls IV

Anyone played it?

Is it worth grabbing?

I take it you haven't played it before.

Then yes it's worth getting for the PS3.

It's probably the best game currently out on the entire market for anything. And that's obviously debatable but it's possibly the largest game content-wise with great graphics and it's as non-linear as an RPG can get.

By that I mean you essentially play out the story however you choose, be it at a slow or fast pace. Hundreds and hundreds of quests which are very cool. Totally customisable character, and great voice-acting adds to the great story.

It's basically a first person/third person Action RPG. Probably the best way to describe it. It'll fucking blow you away with it's scale, draw distance, and graphical detail if you've never seen it before.

I haven't played any of them, I'm downloading a torrent of the PC version at the moment to give it a try.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Worth getting for the PS3? Not worth it for the 360 or PC

PC is probably the best version, with all the mods and everything. Although the PS3 version looks better, 360 has all of the content available for download.

Very awesome game, though. I didn't like Morrowind too much, but Oblivion fixed pretty much all of my gripes that I had before.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Best offline RPG I've played in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Alina
    Worth getting for the PS3? Not worth it for the 360 or PC

PC is probably the best version, with all the mods and everything. Although the PS3 version looks better, 360 has all of the content available for download.

Very awesome game, though. I didn't like Morrowind too much, but Oblivion fixed pretty much all of my gripes that I had before.
    Well Shuemue has a PS3... Unless Shuemue's PC can play it at the same caliber of the PS3 I would get it for the ps3, lol

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I played a few from the series. Personally, I never finished a single one of them. Too open-ended for me to the point where I lose track of continuing the main storyline and just rerolling a new character. I'd say its like an offline MMORPG. You can easily put in 100 hours doing stuff though.

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Elder scrolls 4 is fucking awesome for the PC. I haven't played such a good offline game in my life. It's definately more worth it to get it on PC because of the mods and stuff. I torrented it too but personally I think I might actually go buy it soon. I'm at like ~150 hours of gameplay and haven't even done like half the quests.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have it for the 360 and I think the graphics are insane compared to other 360 games. Really smooth and the environment is very life like.
    I like the open world where you can just do about anything you want. Definatly the best non online RPG I have played in a long time too.

I could spend ages trying to make a toon that doesn't look like they have down syndrome...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    I could spend ages trying to make a toon that doesn't look like they have down syndrome...
    I made a half decent looking Dark Elf, but yeah...the characters in Oblivion have chronic ugliness. However, since you (should) play through the entire game in first person, at least you don't have to look at yourself.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

One of the best, if not the best, single player action oriented RPGs out there.

And I highly, highly, highly, highly recommend getting it for PC. The mod community for the Elder scrolls series is beyond huge. It can add so much content and custom aspects to the game, that you can almost never run out of stuff to do.

Just make sure you have a PC that can run the game with decent graphics settings, so you can get the full experience, because the graphics are really amazing.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Before you start playing it download OOO, Oblivion overhaul mod or something. By far one of the best mods out there.

I've grabbed the main game and Shivering Isle, I'll install it today and have a play with it.

To those suggesting mods, which websites in particular can be trusted?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alina
    Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    I made a half decent looking Dark Elf, but yeah...the characters in Oblivion have chronic ugliness. However, since you (should) play through the entire game in first person, at least you don't have to look at yourself.
    I didn't find it to hard to make a pretty looking face, but the standard hairs are garbage. The thing I hated was when I turned into a vampire, it 'forgot' what my face was supposed to look like, and I ended up with a manface
    There are mods to fix both my problems though, and lots of good pre-made faces floating around.

And for the original question, the game is simply amazing. When I got it, I completely forgot about FFXI for about a month, and I ended up spending way more time at the computer.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by Ins
    Before you start playing it download OOO, Oblivion overhaul mod or something. By far one of the best mods out there.
    This is the correct answer. The console versions are good, but the PC version that can be modded is amazing.

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul completely changes ES:IV for the better. It pretty much completely removes the auto-scaling feature where mobs and NPCs are always scaled to what your level is. ie. go into any dungeon at level 1 and you will only find rats and goblins, but go back to the same place at level 50 and it'll be crawling with Daedra and bandits wearing full glass or ebony armor. Removes any sense of accomplishment when the enemies you face are ALWAYS somewhat challanging. There's no reason to level up beyond getting new skills and abilities as you could conceivably beat the main story as a level 1 character. Anwyays, OOO takes all that out and adds static level ranges for nearly every mob, dungeon, NPC, and guard in the game. There are now 'easy' and 'hard' places to delve into and don't even think of facing the main story end boss until you're at least level 30.

OOO also packages in a lot of the post popular mods for ES:IV that add new armor, weapons, capes(!), better looking hair and faces, and new environment textures as well as a wealth of other gameplay enhancements.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    I've grabbed the main game and Shivering Isle, I'll install it today and have a play with it.

To those suggesting mods, which websites in particular can be trusted?
    Here are the two biggest mod pages out there. I have honestly downloaded hundreds of mods from these two sites, and never had a single virus problem:

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/
    http://www.tessource.net/

I recommend just looking at their "top rated mods" sections and you will find the best rated/best quality mods out there for download.

And just a warning...Oblivion was one of the reasons I completely stopped playing FFXI for about three months, and just recently picked it up again after a long break... :D

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I need to upgrade my computer so I can start playing this again. It's such an awesome game but it lags so badly on my computer that I have to turn the graphics to complete minimum or I can't play it.

Thanks a ton guys, I'm grabbing OOO atm, will install it before I start playing :D

This was the first of the Elder Scrolls games I've tried. It's so good I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out for the next ones.

I also recommend the Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles expansions if you enjoyed Oblivion and ran out of things to do. You get some pretty sweet equipment in the expansions.