+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FFXI, Vista, and Ventrilo     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

FFXI, Vista, and Ventrilo

Whenever I have FFXI maximized, my Ventrilo push-to-talk button doesn't work. I have to maximize vent while I'm playing in order to talk.

It doesn't seem like this problem happens when anything else is maximized; for example, I may have an internet window open and I will still be able to use vent.

I went on Vent forums and say that someone else had the same problem, but he fixed it by going to some kind of User Settings on Vista and changed some configurations.

Problem is, the Vent Forum Moderators locked that thread before someone could say how to get to said User Settings and what actual setting to change.

You could either:
    1. Disable UAC
    2. Run Vent as Administrator

If those two don't work, I might have one more solution but I'm not at my Vista box right now.

Patron of Yin

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Snowknight26
    You could either:
    1. Disable UAC
    2. Run Vent as Administrator

If those two don't work, I might have one more solution but I'm not at my Vista box right now.
    what is disable UAC?

and how do I do that?

thanks.

go to start menu, at the bar at the bottom, or it might be run(i switched back to XP a month ago) and type msconfig, then go to one of the tabs and find disable UAC, disable it and restart..I didn't think it was possible to play ffxi without disabling UAC so idk if that's your problem, but I didn't have it for the month I used vista

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Re: FFXI, Vista, and Ventrilo

bump

bf is having the same problem with vista, it was working for a bit but now when he plays ff he has to maximize vent to be able to talk.

Anyone find a good solution for this at all?

He said he didn't want to disable the UAC since that's something vista needs to run. @@;

Run vent as administrator.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

enable direct input?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

upgrade to XP

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Snowknight26
    Run vent as administrator.

he ended up doing this and it worked XD ty

Patron of Yin

BG Level

Ksandra, get away from Vista, immediately.

I """""""downgraded"""""""" to XP and i've never been more happy.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Most of the problems people seem to have with Vista can be traced back to UAC. It's a piece of shit designed for idiots, I disabled it and never looked back, and aside from some problems stemming from DirectX incompatibilities, I'm not really having any problems with it.

I can see the uses for UAC... they're called "stop my mother fucking up yet another sodding computer"

An OS designed for people like my mother - this is a truly terrifying thought considering she called me at 3am one night saying "I've deleted the internet".

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have a problem with Ventrilo (and skype) on XP Pro that is different from the OP though. I open/run ventrilo like normal. After about 10 minutes, my frame rate drops by 3/4 and the "Camera" behind my character freezes. I can still move freely around the screen but the camera no longer follows me. If I manage to zone it resets for another 10 minutes then glitches again. This only happens when I run vent/skype. Sorry if it strayed away Daahan but this seemed like the best place to post this XD.