Thread: Sushi + Haub on pld...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Sushi + Haub on pld...

Is there seriously a problem with this ? This party (full of JP retards and some moron whm) just bitched me out because I was tanking in Haub and RK Breeches and using sushi instead of going full AF with tacod and defender. I've been lvling like that since lvl 50 or so, with the exception of colibri where I went AF + defender + lolterras since I cant use food, and I havent had any problems untill now. I've even been doing Erucas since 63, and Incinerates havent been a problem till today, 5 deaths in about 90 min, and I was labeled a "{Too Weak}{Paladin}". Untill today, this setup has never pulled in less than 6k/hr

Does anyone else have a problem with that kind of PLD setup in todays era ??

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Re: Sushi + Haub on pld...

Well Part of me wonders why you'd use sushi with an A+ weapon and a haub on (I assume you keep parade on so you lose acc on neck but your ring and waist slots could go towards acc since I dont think you have a swift anyway), otherwise unless the mobs are fucking trucks I don't see the problem.

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

My love for you is like a truck

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Sometimes mobs like making fuck.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Ryko
    Well Part of me wonders why you'd use sushi with an A+ weapon and a haub on (I assume you keep parade on so you lose acc on neck but your ring and waist slots could go towards acc since I dont think you have a swift anyway), otherwise unless the mobs are fucking trucks I don't see the problem.
    No bard, only 1 sword merit.
    My only deaths in xp were from Erucas that 1shot me with Incinerate, hasnt been a problem anywhere else.

I dont believe I was getting rocked around. I was getting hit for 30-90, crits went pretty high though, 180ish.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Your setup wasn't the problem. Your party members were the problem.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I got the opposite response from JPs when I was exping with Haub/RK breeches/Rajas/Woodsman. Only difference is that I ate tacos cuz the defense boost is very noticeable and my accuracy from gear was acceptable. One of the JPs sent me a funny /tell saying you (Paladin) very cool!

Sushi might be excessive and IMO not worth losing the defense from a taco, especially if it's a pickup exp party. :\

I hate AF-wearing exp PLDs.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Don't wear that bullshit. Sub Nin if you're going to do that, and go full damage and haste.

Earth Staff? You gave up the Paladin's number one damage reduction tool, and took away your A+ sword. Get with the times.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

When I get back to PLD, I'm planning on going more or less the same route.

If you're not overhunting like a total dumbass, shield alone is plenty of damage mitigation as long as it's capped, the defense difference between DD gear and AF isn't that much and it's not like PLD is lacking in hate-grabbing ability, so the +Enmity isn't a dire necessity.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Stelaereous
    Don't wear that bullshit. Sub Nin if you're going to do that, and go full damage and haste.

Earth Staff? You gave up the Paladin's number one damage reduction tool, and took away your A+ sword. Get with the times.
    If you're refering to when I was lvling on colibri, I went full enmity and defence gear. My role there, my only role there, was to keep hate off everyone else to the best of my ability. That A+ sword is gonna work great when I'm getting feather tickled all the time lulz.

And yeah, I noticed the difference between Haub and AF Body
    DEF:47 VIT+2 Enmity+2 HP+20
    vs
    DEF:45 STR+5 DEX+5 ACC+10 ATK+10

I'm pretty sure the offensive bonuses counteract the 2 enmity loss

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

On Erucas, I'd save TP for start and open with Vorpal Blade. Even if the mages are too retarded to keep up Shellra and Barfira, Incinerate damage is HP-based.

Macro in your future Tiamat +Fire resist/Magic -% setup on Erucas for the lulz if you can make the room in your bag for it.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

I barely have enough space for my fire resist setup when actually tanking Tiamat, let alone to carry with me for exp parties...

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Every paladin I partied with leveling on my most recent job who wore a haub was a terrible tank. Not that I think the gear is the reason - they just decided they were damage dealers and tanking ability be damned. If party had been in a rut with the same terrible paladins, and then you come along, and just have the usual bad luck with Erucas (Incenerate at the beginning of the fight is going to do a shitload of damage. It happens), they might lump you in with the rest.

Of course, it also sounds like your party sucked, so it could just be that they were morons.

I am a Cockwhistle
    BG Level

I just recently did PLD to 75 a few months back, this was my experience, long post, so :/ Hope it's useful, and not just longwinded

Once you can wear a Haubergeon, put it on. In almost every situation, it wins over Gallant Surcoat for XP PT purposes. About the only time it's not is if you're stuck in a PT severly overhunting, in which case, you probably want all the DEF/VIT/Enmity you can get. I had 6/8 Sword Skill merits as I leveled (and 2 Shield Skill), and mostly wore Haubergeon/Sniper x2/Swift Belt (or Lifebelt), and Sole Sushi (VT) or Tavnazian Tacos (IT). The Tacos really help take the edge off those IT+ mobs, but don't forget that even a VT will occasionally rock you hard with lucky crits.

Do everything you can to keep Shield Skill capped, aside from the massive damage reduction provided, Shield Mastery is a great tool for building TP. I didn't have the best WS gear possible or anything, Voyager Sallet, usually STR+3 rings, Lifebelt, Haubergeon, Chiv Chain, and even without a BRD, I could hit an average 300 Vorpal Blades, 400~ with crits or DA, 400~500 with a BRD, as long as Dia II was on the mob. Not enough to be a real DD, but couple with Flash and Voke, the DoT + 300+ Vorpals, mobs rarely turned from me.

@70 it'll change alot, with O.Hat and Joyeuse, especially if you invest in some more Sword Merits (I had mine from BLU). 72-73 becomes extremely nice, because you can pop on your Suppanomimi, and if you have a PT capable of allowing you to /nin pre-37, GET A JUSTICE SWORD >_> Some people think it's LOL, but grab a BRD, eat meat (you should have like 270-280 Sword Skill by this point I believe) and go to town. You're a THF too, so probably have plenty of Heca to ding into, which should make your Vorpals nicers, where as I really had to rely on my DoT and swinging as fast as I could, and Flash, and saving Vorpals for the start of fights. Farm some Virtune Stone pouches ahead of time (Took me about 13 pouches to go from 73>75 including 20k~ buffer.)

Mamools you'll be doing 300-400 Vorpal Blades still probably, but MUCH more frequently than before. PLDs A+ in Sword Skill really shines post 70. Even if you're /WAR, DA still procs nicely, Shield Mastery, and Berserk when you can on WS can put out decent #s.

If you're main tanking (and you probably are) just make sure to keep SOME enmity on (I usually had High Breath / Hercules / AF1 hands/legs, etc...) Because if you're /NIN, that Flash is all you have to hold off all the crazy melee popping WS at like 90% of the mobs HP, and if you've not taken any damage, and your hate JAs are down, the melee is screwed til you can cure them for hate, short of finding the rare melee who knows where to stand during Cover.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

How do you get oneshotted by Incinerate, exactly? Tanking eruca on NIN, in fire weather, and getting incinerated off the pull, the most it ever did was 800 even.

Banned.

BG Level

Taru PLD? Incinerate DMG depends on the Eruca HP?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

ive had it hit 980ish before, so its possible.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by cthalupa
    Every paladin I partied with leveling on my most recent job who wore a haub was a terrible tank. Not that I think the gear is the reason - they just decided they were damage dealers and tanking ability be damned.
    Tanking wasnt a problem for me, I know how to hold hate, cept when retard players go walk up and do 700 dmg WS's before while my voke and flash recasts are still at 20 seconds.

As far as me getting 1shotted by incinerate: I've only got around 1150 HP on my pld. I dont keep myself capped on HP durring all scenarios, and I think those rdm's I was with had problems landing slow (by problems I mean casting slow in light/dark staff), so my attempts to get myself past 800 got interrupted.

I would contend that it depends the type of mob you're fighting. If you're reaching (IT++), then go defensive. If you're on the higher end of the mob (T-VT), then go more offensive.

Also, if you're doing something like Dhalmels in Bibiki Bay (no, seriously, hear me out), then a PLD should absolutely go for a more defensive build. Imps in Caedarva Mire though is a total "Bust-out-that-Hauby" situation; both regardless of level.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Talint
    I would contend that it depends the type of mob you're fighting. If you're reaching (IT++), then leave the party. If you're on the higher end of the mob (T-VT), then go more offensive.
    Fixed.

As for Dhalmel's, I tanked those things (before sentinel update, before auto-refresh) without anyone capable of casting erase (one party the only person with the erase spell was a bard who would sing the 2 songs for melee and 2 for mages and afk) and did fine. Paladin is all about that shield these days, which is straight -% damage if you have massive defense or not. If I managed to tank with -50% defense (from dhalmel move) then I don't think a huge defense setup will matter.

This was back when this form of tanking wasn't heard of so I came with defense food and gear to camps and started with it. Then peeled it off and didn't see an increase in damage. That happened for as long as I could wear a hauby so I've given up on thinking a defense set really matters for exp. I never went hardcore on DD though, basically just hauby/life belt and some macro swaps for ws.