Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What does Kurayami do?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

What does Kurayami do?

What does Kurayami (Ninjutsu Blind) do exactly?

Is it just an accuracy down which basically does nothing if the mob has enough accuracy?

Or does it impose an accuracy cap, which will make mob miss not matter how much accuracy it has?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Re: What does Kurayami do?

Gives good hate. The rest I hardly care about. Never rely on Blind spells. >_>

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I can't remember the last time I actually cast Blind on a mob...

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco
    I can't remember the last time I actually cast Blind on a mob...
    Soloing... ?
    NIN doesn't get EVA bonus trait like THF does, so for solo I use kurayami since its cheap and helps a lot.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Long, long, very long ago, there was a thread at allakhazam where 2 ppl argued Kurayami's effect. One was stating that Kurayami temporarily removes a fixed number of accuracy points, while the other was sure it was a percentage. I don't feel llike searching for this thread (mostly because Alla is some kind of Mordor to me), but if you're really curious about that matter, you should try to.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Gives good hate for such a cheap tool and is the best all-around blinding spell until RDM gets Blind II. If the xp mob you're facing has naturally poor accuracy, kurayami helps a bit, and definitely helps when facing off against anything T or lower. Combine this with the evasion bonuses from Signet, and your NIN will be very difficult to hit.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'm thinking it removes a percentage, because if it didn't, it wouldn't be useful by the time you hit 75, and it still is. People who say that Kurayami isn't useful have never tried to EVA tank anything, I guess. And while that isn't as good as def tanking in most scenarios, it isn't useless.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Yutuyu
    People who say that Kurayami isn't useful have never tried to EVA tank anything, I guess. And while that isn't as good as def tanking in most scenarios, it isn't useless.
    Well, except for elemental defense tanking (fire resist gear for Tiamat, stuff like that), it's pretty hard to rely on your defense as a NIN, since most of the gear you can/should wear has paper-thin defense. Or maybe you're talking about PLD tanking, I don't know, it's still early in the morning

But I agree, kurayami is a great spell for it's effect, the hate it generates, and the low price of the tools.

Old Merits
    BG Level

You only really see the difference if you're evasion tanking, if I tank in my DD gear I maybe see one or two misses I wouldn't get otherwise, but that's about it.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quit tanking in your DD gear then Fallso! :D

Old Merits
    BG Level

Tanking in DD gear onry! With march/min and haste I can keep up shadows even with like -35 eva, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa
    Long, long, very long ago, there was a thread at allakhazam where 2 ppl argued Kurayami's effect. One was stating that Kurayami temporarily removes a fixed number of accuracy points, while the other was sure it was a percentage. I don't feel llike searching for this thread (mostly because Alla is some kind of Mordor to me), but if you're really curious about that matter, you should try to.
    I thought Kurayami is better than Blind II?

Any testing on kurayami without the accuracy formula would have involved a lot of guesswork considering the accuracy vs effective accuracy relationship was poorly understood. Blinding the mob is obviously useful any time its accuracy won't remain at 95% while blinded, which is most of the time. Its not gonna say "blind makes the mob miss" but it'll still cause it to happen. Even a PLD will have a better than 5% evasion chance against stuff that isn't too high level, and stacked with a reasonably quick Flash stream, it will improve the miss rate regardless of the mob.

Whether it is a static accuracy reduction or a percentage reduction could be tested easily by a NIN, in 2 phases. Pick a set of gear to have a set amount of evasion, aggro an EM Steelshell, let it attack you for say 30mins while parsing its accuracy. Then cast Kurayami and keep it on for the next 30 minutes, compare the result. This will tell you the amount of accuracy lost (2 * % difference). Repeat the same test on a Robber Crab, see if the difference is the same amount or less in % (make sure your evasion isn't so high it's accuracy rate will hit bottom cap while blinded or results will be useless).

And no, I'm not going to test it myself, at least not for a really long time.

Numerically I can't give you an stats, but I can say from experience that it definitely makes a noticeable difference, and that Blind and Blind II suck. My experiences with this are based on EVA tanking Charybdis something like 10 times now, and with enough EVA gear it's always been really easy. One time I showed up, I realized I had forgot to restock on Sairui-Ran, and figured, "Well, just use Blind on it then, no big deal." I was getting hit a LOT more than I should've, and actually ended up dying because of it. Another time I tried with Blind II before slapping Kurayami on just to see, and it really wasn't comparable either.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rentwokay Champignon
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Rentwokay
    I think that this thread is officially over now.

After seeing that everything posted prior is insignificant and irrelevant.

omglol

Subduer of the Squenix
    BG Level

::stares slack jawed at the screen::
    just... speechless

The answer btw is C.

A and B happen on some sort of regular basis (really).
    D happens (roughly) quarterly.

Wow.

You forgot an option:

E: Never post his picture on BG again.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rentwokay Champignon
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin

Wow.

You forgot an option:

E: Never post his picture on BG again.
    Actually, I'm kinda surprised you don't look like some white-haired, yellow-eyed, handlebar-mustached mad scientist of sorts.

...or Asian, for that matter.

...at least you don't look Asian.

...maybe got some Tiger Woods action going on up in here.

...I don't know.

/em walks away.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast