+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Is any one digital home phone better than another?

I just signed up for on of those digital phone/cable/internet deals for my new place. I don't really *need* the phone since I mostly just use my cell, but figure it would be nice to have in general especially if I ever needed to provide a phone number to someone I don't want to have my cell number...So I'm looking at different places online and see sets for $60 to $200 and a ton of different varieties. I just want something simple like 1-2 receivers at most and an answering machine. So my question is, is there any real quality difference between the price ranges or is it just the extra features that bump up the price? Even if I don't end up using it much I still want the call itself to sound good, so would like to know if phones quality is a "get what you pay for" kind of deal...

Re: Is any one digital home phone better than another?

Why would you pay $200 for a phone you would probably use only 1% of the time? Just get whatever is on sale, IMO.

Most companies offering the Triple Play Package deal Cable/Internet/Phone, most of the time if you ask them they give away a free phone also, or maybe $25 (I forget)

Just ask them maybe you could get 1 for free and add another one for a little more $$$$

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I don't suggest getting vonage even though it is decent and cheeper you don't get a dedicated line so you will hear clicking and if your torrenting it fucks you over. So go with Comcast or someone that can give you a dedicated line.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

or just get a good cell plan. That's what I do at college.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I had to go with Earthlink/Time Warner since it's the only cable service that runs to my building at the moment, which really fails compared to everything else out there considering Internet speeds are only 7m down compared to like 20-30 that Optimum and Verizon offer.

I've been using just a cell plan for the last 5 years or so, but I'm past my college days and have just bought my own place that I'm going to be living in for a long while most likely so I want something a little more permanent for the place so I don't have to rely on my cell phone all the time when I'm home.

I have no intention of spending $200 for a phone, but I don't want to buy the cheapest thing out there then end up having any calls I do use it for sound like shit. Though maybe just the fact that the phone signals are digital means that I won't have to worry about that anyway...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Sorry Roger, you tiger now.