• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

FFXI Performance - Pentium 4 vs. Core 2 Duo E6600

Ok I have been curious about this for a while now.

At the moment I play FFXI using a Pentium4 2.8ghz 800Mhz FSB processor with 1GB of RAM. However I am building a new computer within the next couple months and will probably be using a Core 2 Duo E6600/6700 with 2 GB of RAM.

Considering the fact that FFXI is mostly a CPU bound game and doesnt make much use of the graphics card (plan on getting a Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB if it makes any difference), how much of a performance boost will I notice using the Core 2 Duo?

Will the amount of lag be substantially less in areas like Whitegate, Dynamis, and Besieged (assuming full graphics settings and editted registry resolution settings)?

Re: FFXI Performance - Pentium 4 vs. Core 2 Duo E6600

If you don't get the core 2, you'll regret it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Well I am going to build the computer with a Core 2 Duo regardless. Was just curious how much of a performance increase it will have compared to my old Pentium 4.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alt
    Well I am going to build the computer with a Core 2 Duo regardless. Was just curious how much of a performance increase it will have compared to my old Pentium 4.
    my brother and I basically found the comparison of a 64xx series core 2 duo was about 3x more powerful than my p4 3ghz with hyperthreading, so even if thats inflated a bit, you can assume itll be pretty hardcore

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'm using an E6600 right now, works fantastic. I can enable supersampling with no drop in frame rate in all but the most crowded areas. The one I'm using (Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz) easily overclocks to 3.1GHz with a stock fan with no instability issues, as well. Getting a good motherboard with bios overclocking options will be well worth your while.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I don't mean to threadjack, but I have a quick question:

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde
    I'm using an E6600 right now, works fantastic. I can enable supersampling with no drop in frame rate in all but the most crowded areas. The one I'm using (Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz) easily overclocks to 3.1GHz with a stock fan with no instability issues, as well. Getting a good motherboard with bios overclocking options will be well worth your while.
    Wow, stock fan at 3.1GHz is pretty good, but what temp are you running at?

Anyways, that's not my question. My question has to do with Everest: when you're trying to find out what temp your CPU is running, there are 3 possible candidates... Core #1, Core #2, and CPU. My Cores are usually around 40 each, but my CPU is anywhere from 25-35, which I'd like to believe is my CPU temp. If that's the case, I believe I have room to overclock myself (still running at the stock 2.4GHz, and while that's performing just great, those huge .rar extractions or .avi conversions could always go faster).

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I run my p4 at 3ghz (its a 2.4c) with stock cooling, so when people call intel heatsinks weak I always go wtfga

2.4c's have a pretty good reputation for overclocking, a friend of mine got his stable at around 3.2 I think.

evilbau

E4300 is a good overclocker also. This deep into a product cycle, a lot of times they are only slighly lower quality than the chips that they sell at higher speeds, just set lower for marketing purposes. Thats what I'm planning to do, I want to see how good these chips scale

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Idles around 37-41 degrees per core, CPU 37-38C. As far as I can recall, running FFXI it can get up to 53C or so, but that's never incurred any problems.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

This makes me wounder about quad core CPU. Any idea when will they drop in price ?
    I will build a new PC after this summer, i heard quad cores will be like the standard thing this coming fall.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Don't know anything about that, but I made sure my motherboard would be able to support both.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotsu
    This makes me wounder about quad core CPU. Any idea when will they drop in price ?
    I will build a new PC after this summer, i heard quad cores will be like the standard thing this coming fall.
    Seeing how there's only 2 IBM quad cores out currently with AMD not giving a straight answer when there's is going to be released, I doubt that the price will drop that much anytime soon. I'd say earliest of this winter with next spring being the more likely time frame is when quad cores will drop a little more and be more common place.

Intel stock coolers are good for old pentium 4's. My pentium 4 2.4 runs at like 25-33c and the other zones are always at or below 30.

My parts for my new PC should be getting in tonight, E6600, Asus mobo, gtx 8800 768mb gpu and 2gb 1333 ram. I plan on building it and overclocking it to at least 3.0ghz tonight. Still haven't decided if i'm gonna buy ffxi for my PC seeing as i don't play, i'm more just curious about the graphic increase from my PS2 and the graphics were one of my fav things about the game.

Other than that i finally get to play nwn2 and run warcraft III in ultimate perfection.