Thread: FFXI and graphics cards.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Haomarush

FFXI and graphics cards.

I know ffxi is based off of processor speed. Was wondering what exactly a graphics card does for ffxi other than boost the graphics, and if you buy a super good graphics card maybe one too strong for your processor(dunno if that's possible) would that slow your performance down on FFXI. I guess im wondering if a PCI-E would speed up or slow down ffxi more/less than a PCI.

Re: FFXI and graphics cards.

The general rule is PCI-E>PCI. You'll get better performace with a PCI-E video card compared to a PCI one.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Haomarush

you have the answers to all my questions. such a pro.

+50 DKP
    +5respect

-thanks

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Go with a PCI-E graphics card. If you're playing FFXI mostly, go ATI.

Whats your budget?

Blackice

Nvidia cards are actually best for FFXI, not ATI.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Blackice
    Nvidia cards are actually best for FFXI, not ATI.
    Cue the swarms of people who've bitched about their spanking-new Nvidias not working properly with FFXI.

I started with an ATI 9800 PRO in 2003, switched to Nvidia 7800 GS last September, and didn't have much of a problem with either. The old ATI would artifact, but that was due to a combination of overclocking, poor cooling, and power issues. The Nvidia will just straight bluescreen on me.

Upgraded the rest of my rig last week though, hopefully my problems will clear up.

pci-e is much faster then pci. But agp speeds are more then enough for ffxi. If that's an option; I wouldn't go and spend money on old technology of course.

The only thing graphics cards seem to do is render the actual environment the character animates in, (if that at all). Better graphics cards seem to be able to handle larger draw distances more efficiently if you're using the windower plugin. If not, it's basically pointless because a 64mb geforce 4 should be enough to render most environments in ffxi.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the massive load ffxi puts on the cpu is from the huge amount of work it has to do decompressing the DTX3 textures on the character models.

Of course this is all debatable due to driver inconsistencies.

evilbau

Quote Originally Posted by Avanarius
    pci-e is much faster then pci. But agp speeds are more then enough for ffxi. If that's an option; I wouldn't go and spend money on old technology of course.

The only thing graphics cards seem to do is render the actual environment the character animates in, (if that at all). Better graphics cards seem to be able to handle larger draw distances more efficiently if you're using the windower plugin. If not, it's basically pointless because a 64mb geforce 4 should be enough to render most environments in ffxi.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the massive load ffxi puts on the cpu is from the huge amount of work it has to do decompressing the DTX3 textures on the character models.

Of course this is all debatable due to driver inconsistencies.

you are right avan and agp is more than enough. why there are so many threads about upgrading for ffxi is beyond me. I still run it on a 5 year old computer with everything turned up to max.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferien
    Cue the swarms of people who've bitched about their spanking-new Nvidias not working properly with FFXI.

I started with an ATI 9800 PRO in 2003, switched to Nvidia 7800 GS last September, and didn't have much of a problem with either. The old ATI would artifact, but that was due to a combination of overclocking, poor cooling, and power issues. The Nvidia will just straight bluescreen on me.

Upgraded the rest of my rig last week though, hopefully my problems will clear up.
    Simply solution to Nvidia not working = don't use Vista.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Vertabreaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferien

Simply solution to Nvidia not working = don't use Vista.
    Who the fuck said I used Vista? Still running on XP Pro here, and I don't plan on switching.