+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Researching a new car     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Researching a new car

So today I found out that to get my ac fixed, i'd be looking at 1200 roughly after labor, which i promptly said fuck that to. So I'm starting the whole research part of getting a new car so I don't make the same mistakes i made on my last one. Besides consumer reports, is there any other reputable review site out there for cars. I'm also interested in opinions on what's out there.

This is what I want car wise.

4 door with plenty of leg room. i'm 6'3, 270lbs, i'm not cramming myself into a hatch back again.
    Automatic Transmission
    Automatic Windows and Locks
    CD Player
    25+ MPG

This is what I don't care particularly about

Performance. This isn't for picking up chicks in or anything. I want point a to point b with reliability as cheaply as possible.
    No hybrid's. There too new still and you pretty much have to get raped by the dealer if you want repairs.
    No hatchbacks, minivans, mini coopers, pt cruisers, etc. I don't particularly care about looks/performance but i won't stoop so low as to drive something that fugly.

Price wise i'm looking at trying to stay below 15k preferebly, but this isn't a hard cap, i'll go over a bit if I think it will be worth it.

CHELLLLLLLLLLLLL
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Garnet Cat
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Re: Researching a new car

Volkswagen Jetta

Quote Originally Posted by Ddz
    Volkswagen Jetta
    these are decent cars, or the "new" rabbits.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Volkswagen Jetta
    For the price, performance, etc. etc., this car is what you are most likely looking for. And they don't look bad either. VWs generally have pretty solid maintenance/repair plans too.

CHELLLLLLLLLLLLL
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Garnet Cat
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Remy0
    Volkswagen Jetta
    these are decent cars, or the "new" rabbits.
    Yeah but the OP said no hatchbacks

The Jetta will be too cramped for him.

VW's require lots of service too.

get a honda something then.

Mazda 3 might be what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    Ding ding VW's start to shit on you after 50,000 Miles, usually, I'd go for a Matrix a very decent car.
    Im personally going to be buying my car soon, Aiming for a Civic/Accord/Maxima/Altima <3 modern sedans

CHELLLLLLLLLLLLL
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Garnet Cat
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Sefier
    Ding ding VW's start to shit on you after 50,000 Miles, usually, I'd go for a Matrix a very decent car.
    Im personally going to be buying my car soon, Aiming for a Civic/Accord/Maxima/Altima <3 modern sedans
    Yeah but aren't all of those cars above the $15,000 bracket?

If you want to spend like 15k..

Consider a used Mercedes-Benz.

15k will put you in the ballpark for lots of nice cars in the 98ish range with 100k miles on it, you'll get another 200k from the car no problem just as you would for buying a new ford but as a bonus you'll get a much nicer car

The place by me has a 2000 S500 (5.0 liter) 4 door with 93,296 for $11,995.

Matrix's are decently affordable, and come w/ a load of features.

also, what the fuck is wrong with your AC that your looking at a 1000+ bill....get a second opinion i work with cars, and have NEVER seen anything that pricy....(service wise) specially for a fucking AC haha

also, what the fuck is wrong with your AC that your looking at a 1000+ bill....get a second opinion i work with cars, and have NEVER seen anything that pricy....(service wise) specially for a fucking AC haha
    do you sell cars, or are you a mechanic? my experience is most salesman don't know shit about working on them. Anyway I got quoted for about a grand for my 97 Interpid to get the compressor replaced (bearings got fucked), I told the guy to go fuck himself, since I didn't go in there for that and thats was a little less than half of what I paid for the car, and I knew if I really wanted to have air I could get a compressor for m the junkyard and replace it myself.

HE's gonna have to go around and actually sit in cars to find out which have acceptable headroom and maneuverability.

You're gonna want something in the mid-sized range, you're looking at a camry/fusion/milan type thing. That'll give you the gas mileage you'll need as well as the size for your body type.

all of those hover around the high teens 20kish range, but if you aren't an idiot you can easily negotiate. Make sure to look for dealership fees and whatnot, and only, i mean ONLY buy the gap insurance, do NOT buy any type of extended service plan the dealershiop offers, i don't care how hard they try to sell it, it's always a ripoff.

you can easily get a 19k vehicle for 16k if you know what you're doing between rebates and just negotiation. I worked at a car dealership so please take my word for it.

For cost/quality a mercury milan/ford fusion is just about identical to each other, so go to both dealerships and see who gives you the best deal. If you wanna go foreign get a camry as toyota's right now are the best vehicles on the road as far as durability and gas mileage. Toyota's though you have less negotiating power, they present you with options pretty much and you either take it or leave it...although there is some room of course as there is with any low cost dealership.

goodluck with it, PM me if you have any questions about particulars of hidden things with dealerships, i'd be happy to help.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Volkswagen Jetta
    I'm only 6', but my friends 6'3" ~ 6'5" have no problems and are excited to drive mine.

My one friend went in with his family and got a huge deal on 7 Mazda 3's though and they are all happy with em so far, but go scope out nissan/ford/etc. Just stay away from Hyundai/Kia/etc

Quote Originally Posted by Remy0

do you sell cars, or are you a mechanic? my experience is most salesman don't know shit about working on them. Anyway I got quoted for about a grand for my 97 Interpid to get the compressor replaced (bearings got fucked), I told the guy to go fuck himself, since I didn't go in there for that and thats was a little less than half of what I paid for the car, and I knew if I really wanted to have air I could get a compressor for m the junkyard and replace it myself.

I majored Auto, so yeah, there deff. fucking with you, NO Service should really be that expensive, ill get some estimates gimme a dew mins.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

well i looked online for parts and yea, parts were going to be about 2-300 alone, and i've had multiple mechanics all say the cavalier especially late 90's were a bitch to work on. Also this mechanic has done work for me, my brother, or father, and this really was the only ludicrous repair bill i've scene, so i doubt there trying to take me since they've been doing work for my family for a few years now. as for jetta, i've heard horror stories of them breaking down after a couple of years, and after the nightmare that was my car, i do want to avoid it.