+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Star Ocean 1 & 2 Remake/Port for PSP AND future SO4

To those who don't know (I myself only found this out a few days) SE announced remake of SO1 and a port for SO2 on the PSP. (it's kinda unclear if so2 is port/remake, but I'm assuming port w/ updated stuff)

They also announced SO4 for a next-gen console.

http://the-magicbox.com/0705/game070510c.shtml

^some ss of SO1 remade, Ratix looks gay i think <.< SO1 battles redone into SO2 battle system look cool though.

(itt discuss remake/ports and the original games, since there aren't many screenshots/info yet. NO TALKING ABOUT SO3, SUCH A GAME DOES NOT EXIST)

Personally I just happened to be playing through SO2 on my psp(<3) and was curious what party everyone likes to use. I just recruited Opera for the first time ever (lol) so I'm thinking of doing Claude Opera Bowman and Chisato. (Bowman also recruited for first time ever <_<;)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Re: Star Ocean 1 & 2 Remake/Port for PSP

Heard about this a few months ago when it was announced... all I've been hoping for since then is that they complete SO1. Could personally care less about SO2 (I played that game to death, put in over 200 hours). By completing SO1... I mean fucking making it so you don't rush into the final dungeon the instance you hit Farget (sp?).

And Julian? I see I'm not the only one whose confused why the next Star Ocean is 4... Last one was the second released for the PS1 right!?

As for me, my personal favorite party was Ashton, Claude, Dias, Rena. Keeping in mind, this was far from the best party heheh.

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

o_O Star Ocean 3 (Till the end of time) was on the PS2, wasn't it? I was just playing it again for once the other day.. Fucking amazing though, Star ocean series rules.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rysan Wulfric
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I remember playinig the partial SO1 translation by DeJap. The game was pretty fun. SO2 though has been the best one released so far, imho.

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    To those who don't know (I myself only found this out a few days) SE announced remake of SO1 and a port for SO2 on the PSP. (it's kinda unclear if so2 is port/remake, but I'm assuming port w/ updated stuff)

They also announced SO4 for a next-gen console.

http://the-magicbox.com/0705/game070510c.shtml

^some ss of SO1 remade, Ratix looks gay i think <.< SO1 battles redone into SO2 battle system look cool though.

(itt discuss remake/ports and the original games, since there aren't many screenshots/info yet. NO TALKING ABOUT SO3, SUCH A GAME DOES NOT EXIST)

Personally I just happened to be playing through SO2 on my psp(<3) and was curious what party everyone likes to use. I just recruited Opera for the first time ever (lol) so I'm thinking of doing Claude Opera Bowman and Chisato. (Bowman also recruited for first time ever <_<
    D: I really like Bowman, fuck that machine chick (Precious maybe?).

Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Looks like crap so far, would have rather had original ports. W/E can just emulate them.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rysan Wulfric
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

D: I really like Bowman, fuck that machine chick (Precious maybe?).
    Prisis iirc. I always got the Doctor guy after I my first run through the game with that annoying brat.

I liked Precis, made me laugh. Actually the only character I didn't use properly was Bowman...

And why not talk about SO3? Apart from the story (which is very good up until you know when) it's still a loooooooooooot of fun. Once you get used to Fury (and ways to keep it) some of the fights you do are fuckin' inteeeeeeense.

Can't wait for SO4, hopefully they do something interesting with what they've given us.

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

SO4 is also coming out for one of the next gen consoles according to their site.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    I liked Precis, made me laugh. Actually the only character I didn't use properly was Bowman...

And why not talk about SO3? Apart from the story (which is very good up until you know when) it's still a loooooooooooot of fun. Once you get used to Fury (and ways to keep it) some of the fights you do are fuckin' inteeeeeeense.

Can't wait for SO4, hopefully they do something interesting with what they've given us.
    Because the plot twist was the most retarded in the history of gaming. That alone was enough to crush and destroy any enjoyment the game gave me.

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

I actually thought the plot twist in SO3 was awesome :\

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rysan Wulfric
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I had a lot of fun playing S03. Cliff annihilated everything lol, especially once he got Fists of Fury and Aerial Assault.

Storywise though, I preferred SO2. I also enjoyed the synthesis system more in SO2.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I'm currently on my second attempt at SO3, now that I found an ISO where someone replaced the english voices with the original JP ones. Gotta say that adds quite a bit to the game >.>

Story-wise, I like SO3 better so far compared to SO2 (never played #1) but then, I have yet to reach that plot twist. I also thought the SO3 characters were cooler (<3 Nel).

They really should make an anime based on SO3 but make it not suck like the one for SO2 ...

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Vinen
    Because the plot twist was the most retarded in the history of gaming. That alone was enough to crush and destroy any enjoyment the game gave me.

And what was retarded about it? (small text for people who didnt finish it I guess) >_>

Spoiler: show
    I admit the execution was poorly done kinda, creating contradiction between the dictionary entries, some npcs and the story cutscenes, but the whole thing worked from a science fiction standpoint. Creating an universe within another and controlling it through super computer is 'doable'. Having people inside that manmade universe escape is also possible from a physical standpoint...hell, it's not different than lightspeed travel and wormhole.

Of course, if you see the Eternal Sphere as a huge binary computer, it's going to be lame, but that's not the case. It's no different than creating a blackhole and building an universe within that closed space. There is still a few problems with the "game" aspect of Eternal Sphere, but they play no importance in the story. You could literally omit it and story would still works.

It DID kinda make the first 2 games insignificant. I mean, you didn't save the universe. You were a character in a game saving a game universe. As soon as the plot point hit, my heart fucking sank when the realisation hit me. It was like ONLY what these noobs were doing actually mattered.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

It DID kinda make the first 2 games insignificant. I mean, you didn't save the universe. You were a character in a game saving a game universe. As soon as the plot point hit, my heart fucking sank when the realisation hit me. It was like ONLY what these noobs were doing actually mattered.
    I don't think you give enough credit to the "Eternal sphere" being. They did say explicitly that your character aren't controlled that way, same goes for the other billion of sentient being. SO1 and 2, assuming they happened in the same universe could easily be the result of the inhabitant action. You did prevent planet from being destroyed and you did save many lifes in the end.

Until recently, the Eternal Sphere was only an experiment/science project. They created an universe, watched it expand and develop, studied it and shaped certain part. Imo, they should have let thing that way for the story, because the rest is not needed. Actually, the "game" aspects is the only thing that introduced plotholes in the story, and some of them pissed off people by making it sound like everything was pretermined or scripted

Everything imo make much more sense when you ignore the unecessary "game" part of the Eternal Sphere, and look at it as a "reality show" or something similar. People dont create their character, but simply follow someone in every day life. In the story, Elena is the only instance of someone from 4D world who went in the Eternal Sphere (Nel is the only one who figured it out and realize she come from the other world), and she was doing it illegally.

Either way, they are free from the computer now, and the universe exist on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    I don't think you give enough credit to the "Eternal sphere" being. They did say explicitly that your character aren't controlled that way, same goes for the other billion of sentient being. SO1 and 2, assuming they happened in the same universe could easily be the result of the inhabitant action. You did prevent planet from being destroyed and you did save many lifes in the end.

Until recently, the Eternal Sphere was only an experiment/science project. They created an universe, watched it expand and develop, studied it and shaped certain part. Imo, they should have let thing that way for the story, because the rest is not needed. Actually, the "game" aspects is the only thing that introduced plotholes in the story, and some of them pissed off people by making it sound like everything was pretermined or scripted

Everything imo make much more sense when you ignore the unecessary "game" part of the Eternal Sphere, and look at it as a "reality show" or something similar. People dont create their character, but simply follow someone in every day life. In the story, Elena is the only instance of someone from 4D world who went in the Eternal Sphere (Nel is the only one who figured it out and realize she come from the other world), and she was doing it illegally.

Either way, they are free from the computer now, and the universe exist on its own.
    yeah I get that. But even if you did save a world, in the end it was only a show. Something to entertain people and keep them occupied. The destruction of the 4D world still seemed very insignificant compared to what was at stake in SO1 and 2. In SO2 I felt like if I didn't stop these people the shit was gonna hit the fan, in SO3 I felt like if I didn't stop the man behind the plan I would never play the extra content.

Also, the build up was SO good. I'm serious. The universe was being destroyed, everyone was panicking and all was going to hell. It was like FF9 when by the end it seems like there is no hope, then all your characters jump into the real world and all the tension disappears. It doesn't feel like the universe is in peril anymore because you aren't there to experience it, even worse they trivialized it so much.

I think the idea was decent, but .hack did it a lot better and it certain doesn't work with SO series. The game had so much potential to be the best SO story wise if they didn't twist the plot like that. I don't even think excution was the problem, it was just a bad idea.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Seriously.

SO1+SO2 had so much potential to make different strong story lines, why did they have to go there?

Underdeveloped planets, alliances, treaties... so much potential;;

(I don't even remember much of what happened after that plot twist in so3 lol, maybe I should replay it -.- I don't mind it too much, I just don't like how it makes the previous games feel so insignificant)

and this was just why I didn't want so3 discussion...

Anyway, onto SO2. So, this is my first play through having recruited Opera, and I must say, she's a fucking beast. (I gave her bunny shoes I stole :D)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

yeah I get that. But even if you did save a world, in the end it was only a show. Something to entertain people and keep them occupied. The destruction of the 4D world still seemed very insignificant compared to what was at stake in SO1 and 2. In SO2 I felt like if I didn't stop these people the shit was gonna hit the fan, in SO3 I felt like if I didn't stop the man behind the plan I would never play the extra content.

Also, the build up was SO good. I'm serious. The universe was being destroyed, everyone was panicking and all was going to hell. It was like FF9 when by the end it seems like there is no hope, then all your characters jump into the real world and all the tension disappears. It doesn't feel like the universe is in peril anymore because you aren't there to experience it, even worse they trivialized it so much.

I think the idea was decent, but .hack did it a lot better and it certain doesn't work with SO series. The game had so much potential to be the best SO story wise if they didn't twist the plot like that. I don't even think excution was the problem, it was just a bad idea.
    Yeah, I agree there is problem in the presentation and execution of the story after the gate, it could have been much better if done differently by keeping the "universe is in peril" feeling to it. However, I still like the overall idea and don't think it make SO3 an horrible game, or inferior to its predecessor. I liked SO2 a lot, but I can't say I'm particularly fond of the 10 Wisemen either. Hell if I had to critisize SO series, I would say the final boss are pretty weak for all 3 games...the scenario inbetween was always much better.

Anyway, I can't wait to play SO4, probably the rpg I want the most beside Xenosaga 4 (but this one wont happen...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia

Yeah, I agree there is problem in the presentation and execution of the story after the gate, it could have been much better if done differently by keeping the "universe is in peril" feeling to it. However, I still like the overall idea and don't think it make SO3 an horrible game, or inferior to its predecessor. I liked SO2 a lot, but I can't say I'm particularly fond of the 10 Wisemen either. Hell if I had to critisize SO series, I would say the final boss are pretty weak for all 3 games...the scenario inbetween was always much better.

Anyway, I can't wait to play SO4, probably the rpg I want the most beside Xenosaga 4 (but this one wont happen...)

Well, I can still play SO3 over and over again. So it doesn't ruin the game for me, just the story. And in the grand scheme of things it doesn't bother me that much. I might've been severly let down if the gameplay wasn't so good, and dispite the plot twist I think the run up to it was very very impressive. I don't forget the awesome start and middle because of a let down at the end (so many games have crappy endings, even SO2's generic ending was lame).

And the 10-Wisemen thing was pretty lame in explaination, but in experience it was pretty cool. Especially how they beat you down quite a few times. I remember thinking after that I couldn't beat them in the fight you're supposed to

In anycase, I can't wait for SO4, SO3 was so impressive battle wise that this should be fucking mindblowing. Sometimes my friends would just watch me kill stuff and bosses because it looked so freakin' cool.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast