BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MND affecting resists?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Merits
    BG Level

MND affecting resists?

Yo.

I'm playing on my DRK at the mire, which I loathe as DRK, because my friend invited me to a two BRD party there. I'm not really using Absorb-TP on the imps because they have a god awful resist rate being Darkness based and all, so I save the spell for flies.

About 30 minutes into the party the WAR asks me why I'm not absorbing imps. I tell him it's because they resist. He then calls me stupid and tells me that they wouldn't resist if I used Absorb-MND, they wouldn't resist. I tell him that MND doesn't affect Absorb resists and besides that, Absorb-MND wouldn't land anyway. He tells me it's because I have no INT macrod in for Aborbs, and he calls me stupid again. So I laughed at him for TPing in an Osode and had him kicked from party.

Later, we're talking about retards in the ls and we mention the WAR. An ls RDM tells me I made an ass of myself because MND does affect the resist of all magic spells and also acts like Magic Defense Bonus. He cites the wiki as his proof and then defends everything he says by saying "it's in the wiki man." After a while, I tell him his mom's a whore. He starts screaming about how she's dead. I tell him that just makes it worse doesn't it? He logs out for a few days.

Fast forward a couple months. Now, another MNK is making the exact same arguement about casting Absorb-MND to reduce Absorb-TP resists and that when I'm BLM I should always cast Shock for sticking nukes.

Am I missing something or are people getting dumberer?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Re: MND affecting resists?

Lowering a target's MND with Abs-MND or Shock only boosts the potency of White Magic enfeebles (Slow/Paralyze) and damage from Divine Magic (Holy/Banish). I don't know what exactly affects the potency of Absorb-TP (has anyone figured out the formula?), though I would suspect it's just Dark Magic skill.

Or, if you wanted a one sentence answer: Yes, there's always an abundance of stupid people around.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Dark Magic Skill + INT.

The end.

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

i heart zam

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I've always gotten a lot more resists on WHM mobs than other jobs; I still believe that MND affects all resists.

But that doesn't mean the WAR wasn't an idiot; an imp's dark resistance would still dwarf any effect from lowering its MND.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

whm mobs have a job trait known as "magic defense bonus"

*edit*

To quote how the wiki currently words it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    MND increases resistance to White Magic spells as well as reducing their base damage.
    Some people believe that MND increases resistance to all spells, not just White Magic (numerous tests back this claim up, but few actually post the results of their testing)
    Personally. I would try and land absorb-int, then worry about the others.

New Merits
    BG Level

I've never seen any more resists on a WHM mob than any other mob. I don't think INT affect Absorbs and Drain/Aspir for the same reason MAB wouldn't.

When I first leveled DRK I used to cast Absorb-MND and Absorb INT to help stick Drains and help BLMs land nukes. I stopped casting Absorb-MND when I noticed it wasn't helping my resist rate and it had no effect on BLM's nuke damage. I stopped casting Absorb-INT when I realized it didn't help my Drains/Aspirs and I didn't party with BLMs often. Then I started to realize it was just a waste of 33-66mp and 4-8sec to cast them for a slight benefit and stopped using Absorbs altogether unless it was right before Wsing an HNM.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

WHM mobs have "Resist Magic" job traits. End of story.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

int will not effect resist directly as much as +skill will.

However IF the spell lands, the potency of the spell (since its black magic) will rely on int vs int. Assuming the absorbs can partial resist in potency like enfeebs/elemental magic.

Granted I only have drk 37 for CSS. But I do remembering tanking at the lower levels and absorb vit was handy.

New Merits
    BG Level

I always thought the Dark Magics that are vampiric in nature were not affected by MAB or MDB since my Drains seem to do the same on WHM and WAR mobs. I still don't think INT affects it for the same reason MAB doesn't.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

In dynamis xarc..WHM demons seem to resist sleep more than other normal mobs well besides PLD....

If this is any form of proof of MND affectcing resist, it should apply to all magics

Ashira

Probably has something to do with the fact that the game manual makes mention of MND affecting magic resist. I recall that as well and thus always cast both Shock and Burn.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Ashira
    I recall that as well and thus always cast both Shock and Burn.
    Generally I toss Burn first, then Shock and while I'm at it Choke. But then again those all stack nicely with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidanoir
    In dynamis xarc..WHM demons seem to resist sleep more than other normal mobs well besides PLD....

If this is any form of proof of MND affectcing resist, it should apply to all magics
    i'd always presumed that was an artifact of shell, though i've never had any proof or read any studies proving either way. i can guarantee that MDB does not affect sleep duration though, because if that were the case, your rdm and whm (and to a lesser extend, brd and blm) would wake up long before the melees if they got slept, but i rarely see this to be the case.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hanyoko
    However IF the spell lands, the potency of the spell (since its black magic) will rely on int vs int. Assuming the absorbs can partial resist in potency like enfeebs/elemental magic.
    After getting my RDM to 75, I did some tests with Absorb-MND, and I can definitely say that INT plays no factor into absorb spells' potency (at least on the receiving end). The only thing that affects Absorb potency is skill, and that caps at very low levels.

I tested between DRK37/RDM18, RDM75/DRK37, and BLM75/DRK37. Naked RDM with 200 skill and 63 INT absorbed 18 with Absorb-MND. BLM with 296 Dark Magic and 120ish INT still absorbed 18 (presumably the cap). Going to my lowbie DRK, I only ended up absorbing 12 points with its lower skill.

Whether or not Absorb-TP follows the same rule, I cannot say. Absorb-MND and Absorb-VIT are both strictly Dark skill, which caps at low levels, based on the tests I did.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I've always heard and I believe that MND affects resist rates and INT affects base spell damage. Do I have proof of this? No, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now, put me on the C. Body lot list for my aerial wyrm build. >(

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Therin
    I've always heard and I believe that MND affects resist rates and INT affects base spell damage. Do I have proof of this? No, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now, put me on the C. Body lot list for my aerial wyrm build. >(
    Do you mean on all spells(Black Magic especially)?

If so, then you are wrong. If you want to be right, then you should stop believing that.

Generally I toss Burn first, then Shock and while I'm at it Choke. But then again those all stack nicely with each other.
    Same here. Burn, Shock, Choke in that order. Ups Black Magic potency, then White Magic, then helps the meleers deal more damage. (And for DRK's, ABS-INT/MND for Black/White debuffing respectively)

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Therin
    Do you mean on all spells(Black Magic especially)?

If so, then you are wrong. If you want to be right, then you should stop believing that.
    It was more of a joke, but I was referring to any sort of resist-able magic damage (hence my aerial wyrm comment). If they do affect it at all the difference is negligible anyway. I haven't seen proof for either standing though (maybe I just haven't searched enough?).

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreth
    Same here. Burn, Shock, Choke in that order. Ups Black Magic potency, then White Magic, then helps the meleers deal more damage. (And for DRK's, ABS-INT/MND for Black/White debuffing respectively)
    Choke should always be first in that cycle, as your melee are going to swing a dozen times each, if not more, by the time you finish the cycle. minor nitpick..