Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paladin Gear-Swap Macros?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Paladin Gear-Swap Macros?

I looked around for something similar to this but found nothing. If there was something already posted feel free to re-direct me. ^^

Simple question: Do any other Paladins here gear-swap (blinking gear or non-blinking gear) for Provoke/Flash/Other JAs? I personally never have, everytime I'd read something about it on lolAlla or KI or somewhere else I'd always just laugh and never bother with it. I felt it was a waste of time and not worth the effort. Recently I've been wondering if there was something to it..

I almost never wear my full enmity gear for tanking (especially in farming such as IxDRK/DRG/Limbus/Etc...) I'd rather wear Shield Skill+ and JoyToy (for fun lol) On HNMs I use Macua+1 and depending if I'm /NIN some haste+ gear. But talking to our main tank, he was mentioning that he has gear-swap macros for most of his JAs... and I can never seem to even make the mob look at me for more then a second and then it's back to him -_-;

So I was just wondering how often other tanks do it... I consider myself a good PLD and many other's have told me that I am. So I'm semi-curious on how other people handle it.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Re: Paladin Gear-Swap Macros?

For Flash, Voke, Shield Bash, Defender, Warcry and Cures I macro in a non-blinking change, the +3 enmity on Harmonia's Torque is well worth the macroing in and it can be written into the JA macro itself. I also macro in a Knight's Earring (or is it Knightly? Anyway, the one with spell interruption rate down) for cures.

The other gear swaps I have are for Sentinel (Valor Leggings for Gallant Leggings and back again) for the extra 10% damage reduction and then an almost full gear change for Weapon Skills.

So, yeah, it's always worth making a few gear-change macros.

Blackice

I blink for almost every single thing I do on PLD/NIN.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

If you're anal enough, than yah i'd macro in enmity for JAs and cures. However I refuse to do the enmity route on flash and stack haste for that one.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I do what Tuggler said and macro in harmonias for JAs, but beyond that I try to limit my gear swaps to things that won't make my character constantly blink. In limbus or merits or farming you can get away with that stuff but (from my expierences of being in the tank party more than a few times on RDM) there's nothing more annoying than a tank that constantly blinks in and out. Sure, a good mage might make a macro with your name in it or just keep retargeting you, but it never hurts to try to make their life a little easier and to minimize the risk that you can't be targeted when your HP goes critical.

I swap in all of my haste gear for Utsu, and find a good balance of haste and enmity for flash (Aegishjalmr, dusk gloves, dusk feet, etc.).

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

I only swap neck for flash and ninjutsu, swap ear back and neck for shadow casting. I'm one of those guys who don't blink if they don't have to, none of my macros have visible gearswaps aside from my resist set. Any visual gearswaps beyond that are manual changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    I do what Tuggler said and macro in harmonias for JAs, but beyond that I try to limit my gear swaps to things that won't make my character constantly blink. In limbus or merits or farming you can get away with that stuff but (from my expierences of being in the tank party more than a few times on RDM) there's nothing more annoying than a tank that constantly blinks in and out. Sure, a good mage might make a macro with your name in it or just keep retargeting you, but it never hurts to try to make their life a little easier and to minimize the risk that you can't be targeted when your HP goes critical.

I'm almost constantly doing something, be it curing, flashing, ichi ninjitsu on the mob, or casting shadows on myself. Because of this, I think I'd be in a permanant non-visible state throughout almost any fight if I was swapping ideal gear in for each action. I prefer to find a nice balance of enm/haste/fast cast gear etc, and stick with it for the duration of a fight, as I think its just as important to make your mages life a little easier as it is to have perfect gear for everything. The extra enm you may be able to macro in for certan actions can be made up easily by simply peforming more hate building actions.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I swap in and out gera on every action I do for PLD. However I do not blink my char ever, unless changing to totally new set like MDB, Kite or somehting. No matter what people think, mages hate seeing their tanks blink. It's just lazy not to swap in enm and hastefor different things.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Thank you all for the responses. I'll try it out, I DO swap gear alot but I ussually do it manually and never bothered doing it for Provoke or flash... so that's where I was confused I suppose. The most gear swaps I have are 3 macros, one devoted to full Shield Skill for those "o-shi" situations, one for God/Jailer/HNM tanking, and one for Kiting lol... the rest of the time I just manually changed gear :/

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

During the course of tanking on either /WAR or /NIN I don't have any macros that will make me blink out. Flash and Provoke macros have the following items macro'd into them for swaps:
    -Hercules' Ring
    -Harmonia's Torque
    -Toreador's Cape

The only difference between my /NIN and /WAR macros are that my NIN Flash keeps the Harmonia's Torque on full time, except for Utsu casting. Then for Utsu I macro in the following items:
    -Shield Torque
    -lolBlitz ring
    -lolQuick Belt

Basically, for tanking Utsu macros I try and pump as much Haste (as meager as it might be) and Shield Skill as I can to decrease the chances of getting interrupted. I'm saving up for a Loquacious Earring for Utsu casting now that I can stack some Fast Cast with my Homam Cosciales. I've got enough Haste gear in my Utsu macros so that, with Haste and double Ballad, I can get my Ichi casting down to around 12 seconds (if I'm recalling correctly).

The only time I actually blink out for any gear swapping is throwing on my Crimson Cuisses when I have to kite something, say during a Gunpod farming run of Proto-Omega where I need to switch between kiting and straight-tanking on the fly. Otherwise I keep my visible gear the same to make things easier for the mages if and when they need to get a cure or fix a status effect on me.

FYI Here are my standing gear setups:
    -Macuhatil +1
    -Koenig Shield
    -Lamia Kaman(NIN)/Bibiki Seashell(WAR)
    -Walahara Turban(NIN)/Koenig Schaller(WAR)
    -Harmonia's Torque(NIN)/Shield Torque(WAR)
    -Ethereal Earring
    -Knight's Earring
    -Gallant Surcoat +1
    -Homam Manopolas
    -Topaz Ring(WAR)/Woodsman's Ring(NIN - sometimes)
    -Sattva's Ring
    -Boxer's Mantle
    -Warwolf Belt (Working on getting a Trance Belt)
    -Homam Cosciales(NIN)/Adaman Cuisses(WAR)
    -Gallant Leggings +1

Not amazing gear by any means, but I'm pretty happy with it considering I never do Dynamis and am not in a LS that camps Kings or does Bahamut v.II

New Merits
    BG Level

I've gotten my gear pretty much to the point where I don't have to blink in and out to maximize the effectiveness.

Chainsaw/Koenig
    Lamia Bow (NQ ;
    Assjammer Head
    Harmonia's Torque
    Ethereal/Loq Earring
    Valor Surcoat
    Dusk Gloves (Homam soon i hope)
    Herc/Sattva Ring
    Cerberus Mantle
    Swift Belt
    Valor Legs(Homam Soon I hope!)
    Homam Feet.

I only macro in Boxer's/Shield torque for Ichi/Ni casting. Gives me 301 Shield skill when I actually need it and 13% haste + w/e else in enimty full time. Flash/Cures I also macro back in the Harmonia/Cerberus Mantle so that way I have all the areas covered. Only time I actually blink is if I put on Magic-%/MDB gear set. Or if I'm gunna kite something. Which I just manually change it over.

I've found that visible-gear-swapping makes all your support really angry.

I don't gear swap for macros specifically, but I do bring different gear depending on what I'm doing/what my subjob is. It might be worth swapping in non-blinking-equip (Harmonia's Torque and Hercules' Ring come to mind) for JAs though.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blackice
    I blink for almost every single thing I do on PLD/NIN.

Pretty much the same here. But on /war I tend to avoid them best I can.