Rith Ridan
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Azjol-Nerub

shaking off the wynavs (Ix'DRG)

Our sea group is relatively new in sea and yesterday when we popped Ix'DRG we wanted to try the trick to split the wynavs from the Ix'DRG for an easier fight.

First pull we had a RDM disband from our group and claim Ix'Aern, unfortunately he died not long after our PLD got Ix'DRG and all the wynavs came straight at us. We weren't really prepared to manage the wynavs and Ix'DRG at the same time and we wiped unfortunately. While keeping Ix'DRG up we had a BLM (who initially forgot to drop from the party pretty much wiping out the people who were raising) casting DoT on it and using the teleporters. This worked perfectly; as expected they deaggroed when using the teleporter. When the alliance was ready to try it again we had the same BLM who was keeping Ix'DRG up through DoT (Bio2,Poison2) Poisonga a Wynav to claim it while keeping Ix'DRG yellow. Now we had a PLD claim Ix'DRG and made him run up the ramp to the alliance. The BLMs waited till Ix'DRG was up on the ramp before using the teleporter to lose hate. As far as I know the wynavs should deaggro and move back to the center of the room, however for some reason the wynavs still went straight for the alliance. This time we were a little bit more prepared (and Ix'DRG was already around 80% HP due to the DoTs) and we got us a nice deed.

Why can't we seem to shake the wynavs from Ix'DRG? Was it because pulling Ix'DRG on the ramp isn't far enough to prevent linking with his wynavs? or is it because we are doing something wrong while splitting Ix'DRG from wynavs?

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Re: shaking off the wynavs (Ix'DRG)

Quote Originally Posted by rithridan
    While keeping Ix'DRG up we had a BLM (who initially forgot to drop from the party pretty much wiping out the people who were raising) casting DoT on it and using the teleporters. This worked perfectly; as expected they deaggroed when using the teleporter.
    Aern/Wyverns have alliance hate. So the above is basically the way to fight it.

Have everyone disband, then Nuke and zone. When it gets low enough, reform the party/alliance and kill.

Basically, you're not going to lose the Wyverns.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I solo that fight! Seriously, no reason to send a whole army up there, just send 3blm and 1 brd or rdm who wants to xp/cape. You can get 7-8k/hours, and the fight is easier than with melee.

Anyway, your mistake was to assume the wyvern are popped NM, when they are considered as "pet". A pet will always go back to its master, while popped NM (usually pop on..pop) like Qn'aern, Yin&Yang or Qn'Ghrah count as indepandant NM that have their homepoint at the location of the "???" where they spawned (Qn'Ghrah shares hate with fortitude, but they aren't "pet" per se). You can always separate popped NM, but you can't separate summon/call pet. There might be an exception or two to that rules pre ToA, but I can't think of any NM that act differently

If you want to hold the wynav badly, your best bet is to run them as far as you can and zone at the teleport/fartest portal. I'm almost certain they would rush back to the alliance after you zone, but it's easy as a blm (or any job) to hold them for a long time. when they come back, someone else can do the same and pull them away again.

Also, to "reset" hate, you need the whole alliance to zone at the teleport at the exact same time (otherwise hate will be saved as long the aern has someone to go after. Your should simply set a time on the ingame clock, and have everyone zone at the same time.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18441&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30
    look for my post in that thread. it talks at great length about how ix'drg's hate works and how zoning at the porters works.

Habitatt Hasher
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyra Ravenlocke
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Indeed, with a little practice you can trio (hell duo, maybe even solo as rdm) ix'drg with very little difficulty.

If you can get the fucking whore to pop that is.

last time my ls did this, i happened to be on war
    i forgot to disband, i dont even think we DID disband alliance
    i provoked one and ran it to a teleporter. zoned through, and it came and followed me through, so i just kept zoning back and forth and it kept following me.
    2 others could do the same thing and you could have a pet-free ix'drg for the rest of your alliance to kill
    if you take an alliance that is. (we were up there doing other crap too, so, we decided to run up there and pop him while we were all together)
    i think we had 3-4 blms and had him down inside 5 minutes. i think i only zoned 5-6 times.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by tyraravenlocke
    Indeed, with a little practice you can trio (hell duo, maybe even solo as rdm) ix'drg with very little difficulty.

If you can get the fucking whore to pop that is.

"Little practice" imply there is even a challenge It's a joke, as long you have someone who know that you cant cast bio over bio (need to wait for the effect to wear off)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rith Ridan
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Azjol-Nerub

Thanks a lot for all the tips, very much appreciated.

When I was holding it as BLM I noticed you have just enough time to keep alternating Bio2 > zone > Poison2 > zone (Bio2 wears off right about then). You just have to hope that nobody happens to stumbles upon you, because they can just claim him whenever they feel like it. (We were incredibly lucky not to have the 35-odd french players who do sea and limbus at the exact same times us come and swipe Ix'DRG while we were holding/recovering after our wipe).

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

When I was holding it as BLM I noticed you have just enough time to keep alternating Bio2 > zone > Poison2 > zone (Bio2 wears off right about then). You just have to hope that nobody happens to stumbles upon you, because they can just claim him whenever they feel like it. (We were incredibly lucky not to have the 35-odd french players who do sea and limbus at the exact same times us come and swipe Ix'DRG while we were holding/recovering after our wipe).
    Not everyone in this game are jerk, and they need quite a bunch of people to steal the nm. People in sea are generaly courteous compared to other place, since there is enough mobs for everyone. Also, the chance of someone walking there is extremly low, no reason to beside mission >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia

Not everyone in this game are jerk, and they need quite a bunch of people to steal the nm. People in sea are generaly courteous compared to other place, since there is enough mobs for everyone. Also, the chance of someone walking there is extremly low, no reason to beside mission >_>
    or going after ix'drg, then preying on it already being up. or cgf hanging out up there like they do (maybe not anymore. haven't been up there for a while.) on our server.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I don't understand why this is so complicated. In my shell we just have the main ally claim Ix'DRG, then I (as a RDM) drop ally and diaga the little wynavs. After that I just run away. It also might be good to note I have crimson pants.

Duo very easy, solo also lol. It'd just be a pain to pop solo, but other then that solo would be nothing more but cast Bio II and Poison II on it, zone, repeat when wear, then at like 5% ES AM2 just to make sure you kill it and thats all there is to it.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi
    Duo very easy, solo also lol. It'd just be a pain to pop solo, but other then that solo would be nothing more but cast Bio II and Poison II on it, zone, repeat when wear, then at like 5% ES AM2 just to make sure you kill it and thats all there is to it.

It's almost impossible to pop solo. I tried many time, and it always end on a double crit or something after 30minutes. Well, it's definitively possible, but I'm calling bs on any BLM who can solo there efficiently, resist are just too random, and constant reraise is time consuming

Sea Torques
    BG Level

If you are far enough from the 'Aern it wont reraise and if it does, you won't have agro.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Ryushii
    I don't understand why this is so complicated. In my shell we just have the main ally claim Ix'DRG, then I (as a RDM) drop ally and diaga the little wynavs. After that I just run away. It also might be good to note I have crimson pants.
    Exactly how we do it, sometimes we'll even use 2 people to alternate Diaga on the wyverns so that they keep their attention long enough for us to kill DRG. Getting disbanded and formed different takes the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by toonces
    If you are far enough from the 'Aern it wont reraise and if it does, you won't have agro.
    You talking about DRK (that RRs) or DRG (that doesn't RR)?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by toonces
    Yes, but it will also unagro and unspawn if you kill it on the ramp, making the whole fight pointless since Ix'drg will only pop when the Aern die for real. If you are killing it downstair, enjoy linking it with other Aern as you fight it.

You talking about DRK (that RRs) or DRG (that doesn't RR)?
    I believe it was a reply to my "and constant reraise is time consuming" comment in the post above. He is talking about Ix'Drg PH.

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Quote Originally Posted by Seditedi

It's almost impossible to pop solo. I tried many time, and it always end on a double crit or something after 30minutes. Well, it's definitively possible, but I'm calling bs on any BLM who can solo there efficiently, resist are just too random, and constant reraise is time consuming
    I've done what Seditedi describes here solo on BLM/RDM. The key for me was choosing the easiest room to do the solos in. Generally you have your pick between the 2 north rooms since that's where the portal where you use that zone/DoT trick is and you want to be close to it. The room on the NE has PLD, SMN, and THF. PLD and THF are just incredibly annoying due to resist gravity trait (THF) and sleep resistance + naturally high magic resist (PLD).

NW room has DRK, NIN, and DRG. NIN likes to stay far away from you and ranged attack, making it pretty easy. DRK casts weak spells (they only get bio II nowadays) and can be aspir'd. DRG pet can be aspir'd, easily slept, and chained. Keep the pet alive upon the first kill and if the DRG reraises it won't call another pet. This job set is much much easier to handle and can be solo'd for some decent EXP chains. It's not amazing EXP, but if you were gunning for that you wouldn't be soloing there. I remember usually getting around chain 2-3 because of the pet Wynav - it's enough to keep the room cleaned easily. It used to be one of my solo spots before ToAU came out due to the slightly higher exp bonus of sea mobs and the fact you were farming at the same time.

Soloing the actual NM is just like everyone else here describes it. Just make sure you kill it claimed and not to DoT, or you don't get anything. It also sucks a ton if you mess up because most likely, one of the pets will finale away any reraise you have.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I know that, I killed a ton solo and managed to get decent chain (best was #5 on SMN killing elemental). I'm talking about the shitty enfeebling rate on those Aerns that will screw you up sooner or later. I have every possible enfeebling gears minus HQ legs/body, and resist rate is still high. Over the span of 30minutes, I will usually get 2-3 double resist , and thing can get messy after. Aern on bracelet mode and can one shot me. If they land an hit, you can try zoning, but there is usually a good chance you end up dead on the other side of the teleport.

Like I said in my 1st post about soloing the PH, I know it can be done, but you will spend 15 hours poppingthem unless you have some serious luck

Yea, its poppable solo for sure, just very time consuming, those aerns aren't very hard to enfeeble now anyways with enfeebling merits. Before w/o them I'd land like... 75% of my spells grav/bind/sleeps unless the mob had a resist trait then I'd say less than 50% lol... Ix'drg can be a huge pain to pop at times and that slow killing rate of soloing will just make things more annoying unless you manage to get lucky.