Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

Would you recommend coming back to FF11?

I'm wondering, basically, if it's still worth playing, and if it's easy to play it casually without the temptation to play more and more. I used to be a hardcore gamer, but I haven't played anything in over a year now. I've been thinking about it a little in the past few days, but I have a lot of apprehension. IRL, I have a gf, job, apartment (and bills to pay), full-time student majoring in math (difficult major), and other lifestyle things that I don't want to suffer (like reading a lot, walking a lot and getting exercise, etc).

I tried coming back a few times before, but it didn't last, so I don't know if it would last this time either. Certain things got better, like more content so the endgame wasn't totally swamped with turbo-voking JPs, but other things got worse, like the economic inflation. Now I haven't seen the game in like 2 years, so I have no idea what it's like.

I'm open to all opinions/advice. Have you quit/returned several times before too? Do you think the game was a waste of time? Is it still fun? Is it possible to play again after leaving for a long time? Have they been better about fixing things, or what stuff have they fixed? Would you recommend staying away, or going for a different game (WoW) maybe?

Should I come back?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Re: Would you recommend coming back to FF11?

If you go back to it, you'll get hooked in again...

If you're already out, stay out.

Old Merits
    BG Level

this calls for the return of our during- maintenance "who's gayer" polls

Relic Shield
    BG Level

oh yeah, one question I forgot:

is it possible to start over at this point or would I just be wayyy too far behind? I don't mean for HNM hunting, but just for playing in general I guess.

edit: didn't read the full first post before nevermind.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Where du u study ur mathz?

Quote Originally Posted by joft
    I'm wondering, basically, if it's still worth playing, and if it's easy to play it casually without the temptation to play more and more. I used to be a hardcore gamer, but I haven't played anything in over a year now. I've been thinking about it a little in the past few days, but I have a lot of apprehension. IRL, I have a gf, job, apartment (and bills to pay), full-time student majoring in math (difficult major), and other lifestyle things that I don't want to suffer (like reading a lot, walking a lot and getting exercise, etc).

I tried coming back a few times before, but it didn't last, so I don't know if it would last this time either. Certain things got better, like more content so the endgame wasn't totally swamped with turbo-voking JPs, but other things got worse, like the economic inflation. Now I haven't seen the game in like 2 years, so I have no idea what it's like.

I'm open to all opinions/advice. Have you quit/returned several times before too? Do you think the game was a waste of time? Is it still fun? Is it possible to play again after leaving for a long time? Have they been better about fixing things, or what stuff have they fixed? Would you recommend staying away, or going for a different game (WoW) maybe?

Should I come back?
    Your real life seems more promising. GF > mithra (because you know it's just a guy behind the character).

Relic Shield
    BG Level

quicklert: wetsern mishigan universiety

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Thank God. Oh, while you're back on the boards, maybe you can explain to BRP why .999 repeating doesn't mean the same thing as 1. 8)

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Quicklet
    Thank God. Oh, while you're back on the boards, maybe you can explain to BRP why .999 repeating doesn't mean the same thing as 1. 8)

Here it comes....

Relic Shield
    BG Level

thank god i'm not in CT anymore?

and i think you're actually wrong, depending on what you mean by "mean the same thing." BRP is right if he says that .999... is mathematically equivalent (equal to) 1, because it is; there are numerous proofs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.999... (might have to enter this URL manually)

and I'm still waiting for serious answers, damnit.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Personally I think it's different for everyone. Some can come back and play casually and some would get hooked again immediately. It might not be helpful, but at least it's serious.

Joft what's your point coming back?

to do things that you accomplished before?

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I would try WoW before I come back to FFXI. The thing I hate most about FF is the fact that its easy to look at a pretty screenshot and say "hey, that looks fun", without taking into account how much time and effort it really takes to max a job from 1-75 and gain access to all the old content like Sky/Sea and etc. However, if you like the level grind and constant looking for help for quests, missions, limit breaks, AF, etc then be my guest.

And what do you mean by casual though? 1-2 hours a day? 3-4 hours a week? Do you feel like putting in the effort to make gil, farm, look for groups, etc with limited playtime?

Honestly, if you want to play any MMO casually, you're going to have a little trouble with FF. If I were you, i'd invest in an MMO that won't take forever to give you some sort of accomplishment. (WoW)

In the end though, play whatever you have the most fun with.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I would not recommend coming back, It seems your real life is good atm. If you play again you will most likely lose your apartment your girl and fail college.

If your looking for a game to play to pass time try some online shooters like Lost planet or gears of war.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

what would make you recommend WoW despite warning against FFXI? is WoW less addictive/consuming?

what shooters would anyone recommend? I really liked Tribes 2.

Demosthenes11

I have played FFXI since NA PC release, and just recently picked up WoW. I have a really random schedule with gaming lately aka I never play at normal times and have no pattern, I simply play when I have time. WoW has been perfect for this, because I don't have to go lfg to level, getting gold is easy if you know economics, and the game is just a lot of fun.

WoW if casual, FFXI if gamer imo

WoW doesn't demand like FFXI does.

Then again, I don't feel like it rewards as much either.

It's a helluva lot easier to play WoW casually than FFXI, because so much of the FFXI content will suck you in and make you WANT to keep going. For days. Weeks. Months. WoW, you can blow through 1-70 like a spring breeze and hardly notice.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I treat FFXI like any other drug addiction (cause it is) if you're out STAY OUT!!!

i would say don't go back. there is no such thing as 'casual gaming' in ffxi. you'll run into friends again who are on all the time and they will ask you to come on at a time that you normally don't play and decide you can sacrifice the time for it.. before you know it bam you're addicted again. one little thing in the game takes at least an hour to do.