Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

Overcamping and stealing camps, the new life of merits

So I'm sure that anyone that has tried to party in ToAU has had to deal with overcamping. The biggest targets of course being Caedarve Mire, Mamool Ja Staging Point, and the Greater Colibri camp. I just was wondering what the general consensus about it all. Some usually move as a new party comes in, others try to steamroll existing parties out, and often there's a mad fight for mobs as two or even three parties fight for the same camp. These fights usually wind up with yelling, death, or all around lower exp.

Personally I have had to fight plenty in Caedarve Mire, and once had to fight directly against a merit party as a 71-73 burn party. For whatever reason we actually won that one. I've heard of plenty of times when there are BLMs fighting over the pudding camp, occasionally having to deal with it myself and stunclaiming every pudding we can. KI had a thread where someone came on complaining about an HNMLS party coming in and fighting against them. The poster was subsequently laughed out by said HNMLS, but then some discussion actually began. Not that anything worthwhile came of it like an agreement, just more discussion and argument over things being worthwhile or not.

I also had a good RL friend of mine get camped on like this, by LW and Aurik no less (no, I'm not trying to stir up drama). I'm now in the awkward and annoying position of him being pissy and saying "you associate with Assholes," any time I go to do something with SML, or even bring them up in hoping to join up own LS might be able to do some larger things. But he holds a view of "all endgame players are assholes" because his major experience with any of them is fighting for pops on merit parties.

So, pardoning my emo-out, what's to be done? Will people ever be considerate again? Could things like party leaders claiming camps with a /seacom actually WORK again? Are we doomed to fighting for mobs and camps forever? Do new and "exciting" camps need to be found in places like deep Halvung and Arrapago Reef? Is endgame so flooded with people that we have to play this way?

Edit--fuck, title

Banned.

BG Level

Re: Overcamping and stealing camps, the new life of merit partie

Survival of the fittest man, out pull em till they leave, if you cant, go to sky.

Meh, the only "solution" that will actually be a realistic answer is what you have been doing. Learn to kill faster and claim faster, it's about all you can do. There are a lot of assholes out there and a/seacom isn't going to stop them anymore then them seeing your party there doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by residue
    Survival of the fittest man, out pull em till they leave, if you cant, go to sky.
    I QUOTE MY GOOD FRIEND IN THE NAME OF TRUTH if you cant handle it gtfo! <3 xanthu :D

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Indoor repop times and no sanction? You'll get more exp fighting for mobs than moving to non-ToAU fail exp sky, the groups that go to mire when there's already 60 people there know this.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    It's the god-given right of a superior party to take over a camp and push weaker parties out
    Been said before.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    It's the god-given right of a superior party to take over a camp and push weaker parties out
    Been said before.
    This theory only works when people know what a superior party is. Otherwise you just get the same situation as usual.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ya its fine and dandy that I can be an asshole and smoke out weaker parties. But why create a sometimes counterproductive environment where players are at each other's necks... over exp?

Simple solution, create more exclusive and non-exclusive camps. Exclusive could require a certain level of rank, quest, etc.

I attend to events on a daily basis and generally don't have time to go exp whenever I simply feel like it. The last thing I want to worry about when it comes to something simple as experience points is fighting over camps, getting shitty exp because a stubborn half assed pt is sitting on top of me, or not getting exp at all out of frustration. It all seems terribly unnecessary.

We lose relatively large amounts of exp for death, and are even threatened with de-lvl. Quests in this game give shit for exp. End game events give none. At the very least they need to alleviate the burden of finding a place to relax and exp.

Again let me remind you of my perspective before you respond. Being able to exp whenever I feel like it is not a luxury I have, at all. The best times I have personally are weekend nights, late at night. Which happens to be the server wide worst times to try to exp.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I don't like overcamping other competent parties, but if they're leaving 2/3 of a camp's mobs up or more (especially on 5 min repops) they're asking to be run out. Especially at Nyzul Colibris. If a party full of what look like half-brained DDs and at least 1 BRD is there, it's not worth the hassle of overcamping unless they're embarrassingly bad, but if you see something like PLD, RDM, THF, SAM, SAM, SAM there, they're practically begging to get pushed out.

There are plenty of mediocre camps spread across the game and across ToAU that people in mediocre parties can use without stopping up the few camps that good parties can use. There aren't that many top-notch camps where a good party can really push itself.

It's just as self-centered, in my opinion, to go to what is commonly known as a good camp with a bad party as it is to overcamp a bad party with a better one, because there's plenty of other places that bad party could go and end up getting the same XP, but not block one of the few camps a really good party can use.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm spoiled as hell by good parties, but I really don't like having my own game experience degraded because some joke of a party decides they want to go to one of the highest-traffic merit camps in the game and pull just enough mobs to be an annoyance to another party while leaving nearly every pop untouched because they can't kill fast enough.

Banned.

BG Level

bind mobs on them

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

this shit existed long before toau

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Players on FFXI being self-centered and recognizing it?! Gasp

This isn't a problem that can be addressed with some sort of common resolve that is player created. Its a clear problem and can only be addressed by SE.

There is not much to discuss past that. There needs to be more camps. If at the very least, it helps with traffic control.

Quote Originally Posted by banhero
    this shit existed long before toau
    The number of high level expiers has also grown by a huge percentage as well. Not only that, pre 73 PTs are camping right on top of the same spots. Yes I'm serious. The other day I saw a 70ish PLD/WAR 2melee RDM, BLM, WHM, conventional, SC+MB pt on top of a normally reserved TP burn zone. The overcrowding is caused not only by the larger number of 75s running around getting merits, but the much larger 65-73s trying to level up.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

From BRD65 to BRD75, I made a living stealing camps and casting requiem on sleeping mobs that unclaimed. I've had my party forced out of camp once total, and I left and found an open camp somewhere else and continued my EXP without making an idiot of myself in /say or /tell.

If you're going to take EXP so seriously that you have to curse someone out, go to Dvucca or Halvung or Lufaise or something less crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sendra
    From BRD65 to BRD75, I made a living stealing camps and casting requiem on sleeping mobs that unclaimed. I've had my party forced out of camp once total, and I left and found an open camp somewhere else and continued my EXP without making an idiot of myself in /say or /tell.

If you're going to take EXP so seriously that you have to curse someone out, go to Dvucca or Halvung or Lufaise or something less crowded.
    Whoa, slow down. You mean Requiem actually sticks to TAU mobs?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

The way I see it if the party I am in is better than the one currently in the camp, we'll just chase them out. If they're better than us, I leave them and if a party better than us arrives later and camps on us, I leave asap to find a new camp rather than sit on mediocre exp while we fight a losing battle over it.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

lol, I'm not gonna make an LS merit pt leave the camp just because a party is killing one at the pace of us killing 4.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

When I merited on my NIN alot one of my favorite places was Caedarva Mire, just because of how competitive it would get sometimes lol. Some people would want to move but I would usually try to just make the other people move, that was my goal. Voking peoples slept mobs, running laps around Mire, it was fun. It wasn't so much like that in Thickets but it still was kinda competitive for mobs, but more dangerous. I don't really do that at the Bird camp, if there is a PT at a camp there we just usually move.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

'lolz i get ch 6 just grabbing mob ur pt misses'

Said to me by a solo blm at the infamous pudding camp, last time I went there, who showed up on hour 3 of a exceptionally good manaburn. We have been clearing the area regularly, until he showed up.

I refuse to go to the mire -- nooblets who think its awesome to be 'competitive' about pulling ruin it.

Sure, this nonsense happened before ToAU, but with the influx of noob to lv 75s, its far more prevalent nowadays.

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthu
    others try to steamroll existing parties out, and often there's a mad fight for mobs as two or even three parties fight for the same camp. These fights usually wind up with yelling, death, or all around lower exp.
    That is why I have never accepted, and intend never to accept in the future, invites from randoms wanting to merit. I do not find that described situation fun in any way, shape, or form.

The only time I merit is with LS groups because we damned well won't put ourselves into a situation like that. For a slight bit less XP ('less' assuming there aren't 7598751 parties in the more popular camps) we can merit on trolls.

I'd be willing to take a big, big hit in XP not to have to deal with the situation the OP described.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Midnightjade Eleven
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I don't mind pulling against other parties too much, but a lot of BRDs don't like it. It can get annoying having to compete for pops with two other parties at Mamool Ja staging point. BRDs are really at the sharp end in these situations since we're always the designated pullers.

Way I see it, I think it takes a certain mindset to go to these places, sure you're taking mobs off each other and it can get a bit cutthroat, but everyone needs to understand it's nothing personal. Couple of times I've been at Mamool Ja, when a BRD I've been pulling against leaves we'll swap a couple of /tells, compliment one another's pulling and so on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast