Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NIN in salvage     submit to reddit submit to twitter

NIN in salvage

Anyone ever went nin to salvage for mega-boss, we been doing in 6-8 man team and would like if ppl can tell from the experience what nin need to take? We tried wiht 5 min left just ppl to see and i didn´t bring tacos to boost defense so went down pretty fast.

EDIT: think would be better for me to get mnk 75? i heard alot of ppl said they tank wiht mnk (don´t forget i said we small 6-8 ppl maybe mnk would better for such low ppl?) thats why i ask (if mnk > nin for salvage)

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Re: NIN in salvage

NIN is just fine but try to boost your defense to 420 if you think you'll get hit a lot. You don't have the HP buffer that MNK has or the ability to counter some hits. Or, if you think you'll tank it just fine, use attack gear.

Was using merit setup when i tried def is around 331 wiht defender since we never count on killing didn´t brought no food to help

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I say Ninja tanking is good, but you need a lot of support on healers when you are paralyzed, why because you dont have the hp boost the monk have and you can go down in fewer hits.

Yesterday i did Silver Sea megaboss and i was getting hit by 90 dmg 200 critical

I wa son tank gear of course, and he miss liek crazzy with this gera setup.

Head - Arhat´s (-dmg%), optical hat for evasion, walhara turban for ni casting
    NEack - evasion torque and harmonias torque for enmity provoke
    body - arhat´s gi
    legs - af if night and byakkos for ni casting
    rings - agi rings, jelly ring will rock
    feet - i was with ninja boots for runing and haste ones.
    cape - i was with corse cape for evasion
    earrings - bat earrings with blinding potions, this worked for me like MAD, from 10 hits he landed 2 tops.
    waist - warworlf
    Earth Staff or stun katanas
    Tacos for food. I was around on 500 defense or a little more.

with earth staff you will sacrifice a little dmg but the attacks you receive is kinda nice thou very low dmg. compare to a 250 - 500 criticals.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I've tanked a few Chariots on NIN just fine. Never bother with an Earth Staff unless you're kiting or trying to recover. You need to use Katanas to do some damage to hold hate. Just with all the shadow stripping AoEs, you're going to get hit a fair deal, but as long as your support is good, you'll be fine. I wouldn't bother with Tacos on LAC, but it's probably a good idea for LBC. And a Jelly Ring is a bad idea, especially on LBC haha.

MNK just has the slight advantage over NIN because of counter and higher base HP. MNK dmg also seems a bit better on the chariots in general. But a well geared NIN is certainly good enough.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

i agree, maybe the earth staff is not a must but it help my mages cure less, but the dmg sacrifice is bad.

You should really not be taking that many physical hits. If you are, just build a dmg reduction macro set, Rukenshin-style.

Black Belt
    BG Level

For the most part, if you're co-tanking with a MNK, odds are you won't get hate for a good while if the MNK decided to SP the Chariot right off the bat.

At this time, I'd suggest you just stop casting shadow altogether and pop up berserk and wear all DD gears, since until you get hate, recasting utsu is fucking useless and take out from your DoT

After 1 min or so of HF wearing off, the MNK should have taken enough damage along with you doing enough damage to stabilize enmity sharing and you should start recasting shadow at this point, and you should just watch out for AoE, and time your shadows so that you can have shadow up right after an AoE.

I personally don't give a damn about defense or HP. On one mob where HP would matter, body boost are so fucking common that you'd end up with enough for both tanks, and LBC is pretty much a 10 min job unless you fuck up horribly, so the 15 min boost will pretty much last you the entire fight.

For other zones, the mob doesn't hit nearly as hard to worth dedicating a HP/defense set.

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    You should really not be taking that many physical hits. If you are, just build a dmg reduction macro set, Rukenshin-style.

i got macros like that btw my nin stuff is 58/60, def /enmity/tp /ws

My salvage group uses tank pt of Nin, Mnk, Brd, Rdm, Whm, Whm

We have beat each chariot with this setup (8-9man) with not much problem. The Nin needs to wear merit party gear imo to contend with the mnk hate. If hate is not balanced between the tanks is where there is problems. We used to have this issue until the Nin went full DD gear. Cake after that cause they rarely get hit.

Edit - We sometimes use War, Mnk as tanks as well

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    just build a dmg reduction macro set, Rukenshin-style.
    To add a little more on this topic, the damage reduction set works really well on the bosses and mobs in Salvage in general.

On both MNK and SAM, with shit for defense and just macroing in the damage reduction gear, I cut the damage by a pretty considerable amount making it easier to manage when I had to take damage. It's worth bringing the few extra pieces of gear for it if you can.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

i tank all chariots with NIN, our salvage grp is 6-7 people
    except for LBC because too much WS spam and LBC hits hard >.>

for LBC(Weakened) i just go meripo style for 50% (only voke on starting so mages can get enfeebles in and i melee till 50%) then move back because below 50% is where all the WS come in and LBC hits very hard so better for mages to focus on just one person
    for LBC(unweakened) i do the same thing, melee till 50% and fall back(ur mnk should be good in movement so as not to get hit by HM) and then change earth staff and standby IF he/she gets hit with HM then i voke(will get hate since i meleed a bit before 50%) and tank until the MNK gets back hate, move back, rinse and repeat

for LAC i meripo style too but only voke for starting. When LAC turns(like LBC does) it indicated Brainjack inc, so i macro into my gimp weapon(staff cos i only 77 staff skill wtflol) and wait till my charm gone, recast utsusemi, WHM cureV, then i voke back. Usually u should get hate back with 1 voke, if not, warcry and u should be fine, and ur good for another 2-3 mins before next brainjack comes, rinse and repeat.

for other 2 chariot battleclad or armored, go full meripo style lol

Above is provided ur having a co-tank MNK. U should only voke once at beginning and go attack it. If ur damage is good(Average NIN's damage will be sucky compare to a very good MNK), u should be fine with sharing hate with the MNK, if not u will find the MNK getting hit more than u. When this happen u might wanna voke more. For my case hate is fine so i only do starting voke, or when MNK starts to get hit.

if 2 NIN tank and no MNK, well then i dunno good luck lol

ps. i dont bring any damage reduction gear for salvage, i know its good but my moggle is pretty stuffed out >.> damn fishing gears + fishing ring + baits that i buy too much lol

Quote Originally Posted by Arthars
    ps. i dont bring any damage reduction gear for salvage, i know its good but my moggle is pretty stuffed out >.> damn fishing gears + fishing ring + baits that i buy too much lol
    fishing gear > nin damage reduction gear? lol sorry just found that last statement funny

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

yep

i done fishing mini BC and got 5 mercurial kris

i want more kris so fishing gear >>> damage reduction gear

and my perma EVENT grps dont give shits abt damage reduction gear so i am very comfortable with my meripo gears in salvage hehehe

i sold them too cos i am done with HNMs since last year, got all full set of abj (except matrial cos i have no PLD w)

my FFXI life is now attending events like salvage, limbus, dynamis and fishing with my RL wife, who is sooooo into fishing and i am made to go fish with her 24/7

do i still need damage reduction gear for salvage for all zones since its walk in a park for 6-7 people?

well no

it's kinda like saying you can tank anything in the game with no rare/ex and not more than 100k spent on gear from the AH

and like that, you are exactly right lol

You really don't NEED anything in this game besides skill to be successful

Wife fishing... lol Sounds like that is just the begining to getting "hooked"

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

ur freaking right there LOL

before i know her.... my fishing is 0 and i told myself "hack this shit"

now i fish everyday when i am bored for the cheap money, and weekly kris money(well not huge profit if u look at selling marlins, at most u get 1 mil profit from kris. Kris - no.of marlin traded = small profit)

now my fishing is 70 lol and i am so hooked to it and thinking if i should try ebisu lol

Skills wise, yea i think i am doing fine but i dare not say i am the best NIN around

gear wise i am there yeah but it doesnt matter anymore to me cos i quitted HNM events

my current skill and equip should be fine for salvage limbus and dynamis ^^

as for my purpose now in FFXI:
    Ebisu
    usukane gear to test how much haste the set actually provide (2/3 on all pieces now)

lastly
    35 piece drop rate sucks i need pants feet body lol (hand still mystery)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Alcarin
    I wa son tank gear of course, and he miss liek crazzy with this gera setup.
    My eyes. T_T

You guys pointing mnk side tank wiht me, but we only got a war or pld/nin would that still work, and does he need anything in special im counting on merit setup?

If nin + those jobs don´t work i need to go burn mnk to 75 then

EDIT: btw thanks for the replies

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

warrior should be fine

but i recall some of the veterans in the zone strategy threads mention that it is best not to have ridill if ur fighting boss

prob dual axe i think

for LBC 99% both of ur tanks will get a Body Boost just use them at 60-70%

but if ur doing NIN + WAR tank, then best is have NIN stay behind to tank it after 50% and the war goes on standby

if u have heavy curers and NP keeping up MP, both NIN WAR gogogo lol

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arthars
    warrior should be fine

but i recall some of the veterans in the zone strategy threads mention that it is best not to have ridill if ur fighting boss

prob dual axe i think

for LBC 99% both of ur tanks will get a Body Boost just use them at 60-70%

but if ur doing NIN + WAR tank, then best is have NIN stay behind to tank it after 50% and the war goes on standby

if u have heavy curers and NP keeping up MP, both NIN WAR gogogo lol
    Ridill is ok if you have heavy curing but even with 2 WHM 2 RDM BRD and 2 BLMs helping cure, as MNK and Ridill WAR we were running out of MP in the last 10% of LBC. Both RDMs have 2 refresh equipments. So yeah, bad idea without ample curing.