+ Reply to Thread

Purchasing a new ISP, what's a good choice?

Sooo got a new place, and finally caving in on getting broadband there. Not because of the price (well partially) but just wasn't sure if I wanted the void which is the world wide web sucking me back into its endless blackhole of timeless space. Needless to say I gave in, and Im looking at Verizon now....well because it's the first thing that came up when I typed in Broadband, and Ive had it at my old place and not had issues.

Just curious, they're offering two plans, one thats 768-128kbs for 14.99/month for a year, and another thats 3mbs-768kbs for 19.99/month for the first 6 months then 29.99 for the last 6 months. Its like a $120 difference over the course of the year, which isnt huge, but will the better connection really help as much as it claims? Like will most games (Id only be playing WoW if anything) and websites even be able to take use of the larger download speeds..or is it redundant.

Anyway I figured guys were asking for legal advice here, so I guess this would be the place to ask to get a quick accurate question.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Re: Purchasing a new ISP, what's a good choice?

As long as you don't choose Charter..

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Do you get verizon Fios in your area? It's really damn fast, (check back later) I think is website to check for eligibility.

evilbau

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    Sooo got a new place, and finally caving in on getting broadband there. Not because of the price (well partially) but just wasn't sure if I wanted the void which is the world wide web sucking me back into its endless blackhole of timeless space. Needless to say I gave in, and Im looking at Verizon now....well because it's the first thing that came up when I typed in Broadband, and Ive had it at my old place and not had issues.

Just curious, they're offering two plans, one thats 768-128kbs for 14.99/month for a year, and another thats 3mbs-768kbs for 19.99/month for the first 6 months then 29.99 for the last 6 months. Its like a $120 difference over the course of the year, which isnt huge, but will the better connection really help as much as it claims? Like will most games (Id only be playing WoW if anything) and websites even be able to take use of the larger download speeds..or is it redundant.

Anyway I figured guys were asking for legal advice here, so I guess this would be the place to ask to get a quick accurate question.

i have verizon dsl (no fios avail in my area) and i have the 3 Mbs plan and its decent (internet service itself). I don't like verizon though anymore (the company) because they have occassional outages (which is understandable) and it was a bitch to get them to confirm it (which is unacceptable). couldn't get it naked (no landline) at the time also which pissed me off. its expensive and i consider it inferior to cable. you can get some sweet deals if you choose to not use dsl (paid for by the cable industry lol), especially if you use with directv or other sat. provider. go for as short a contract as possible because the best deals are from new subscribers (switch companies) or through retention policies (threaten to cancel). just my experience with verizon. I haven't switched away because I don't want to get into another contract before moving, although I have been saying that for a year now.

Hey locke, if you have FiOS available in your area; jump on it.

If you are not a big torrent/download freak, you'll be fine with the slower connection. Most games run fine using 56kbps or less, and the lower-priced plan is (theoretically) 768k.

evilbau

keep in mind they quote kilobits not kilobytes if that affects your decision any.

Have you asked around with people you know in the area with the service? Around here your options for broadband are pretty much limited to Verizon DSL or Charter Cable which is rather sad. Everyone I asked in my neighborhood that had Verizon said the connection would just... go out at times which didn't seem all that great to me so I passed. On the other hand Charter is a terrible company but at least the internet works well, amazingly. Cable seems to be the far more reliable option where I live, might want to check out your area . Then again, appearantly my parent's house didn't have wiring that could support a cable tv and a cable internet connection at the same time so they took 3 months to rewire it... freaking Charter. Not to say cable is better than dsl, just happens to be the more reliable option where I live.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Fios is slow compared to optonline, yet they claim they're The fastest, period.

Bullshit!

E. Body
    BG Level

lol, I try to check fios in my area and verizon doesnt recognize my address as..existing. period.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma

Bullshit!
    Oh fucking AMEN to that. I have OptimumOnline and every time I see my torrents hit 1.5 megs/sec and upstream hit 150k/s I cream my pants. I know for a fact FiOS doesn't offer that. (OptimumOnline is fiber optic just like verizon anyways.)

Hell, I could even pay 15 dollars more and be downloading at 3 megs/sec and uploading at 300k/sec.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy

Bullshit!
    Oh fucking AMEN to that. I have OptimumOnline and every time I see my torrents hit 1.5 megs/sec and upstream hit 150k/s I cream my pants. I know for a fact FiOS doesn't offer that. (OptimumOnline is fiber optic just like verizon anyways.)

Hell, I could even pay 15 dollars more and be downloading at 3 megs/sec and uploading at 300k/sec.
    Er, in some areas FiOS offers 30/5, which is roughly 3.5 M/s down and 450K/s up. So technically? It can be faster.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Doesn't optonline cap your upstream once you've uploaded too much? I know there was a huge debacle about it in the past where everyone was complaining about their optonline upstream getting capped to hell once they exceeded the small upload maximum.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lex Luger
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Demon Soul

I've had Verizon DSL, then Optonline for 4 years, and now Verizon FiOS for 3 months. You are kidding yourself if you think Optonline can even hold a candle to FiOS, throw the superior TV service included with the FiOS on top, and its really a no brainer.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Militantx
    I've had Verizon DSL, then Optonline for 4 years, and now Verizon FiOS for 3 months. You are kidding yourself if you think Optonline can even hold a candle to FiOS, throw the superior TV service included with the FiOS on top, and its really a no brainer.

hahaahahahahahhahahahahahaah

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/7793/internetgb3.jpg

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

holy fucking shit zigma, do you have speedbooster package?

Also, elaborate on this upload cap with optimumonline. Is it still in effect?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, I do. As far as the upload cap. I'm not a hardcore uploader but I'm known for uploading huge files from time to time. I've never been capped. I've read on dsl reports that they did away with the upload cap but don't take my word for it.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Yeah, I do. As far as the upload cap. I'm not a hardcore uploader but I'm known for uploading huge files from time to time. I've never been capped. I've read on dsl reports that they did away with the upload cap but don't take my word for it.
    Hmmm, maybe i'll upgrade to SpeedBoost when I get home. I had planned on canceling my family whatever digital cable pack, so i'd be saving like 40 bucks there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag