BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

help! need work out tips! (abs)

ok, so i've been doing a lot of cardio recently (running seldomly, mostly playing dance games [yes, its fun and its cardio while i'm having fun]) but my gut really isn't going down, and its starting to bug me, so what are some good ab workouts or better yet, what are the secrets to doing situps to get better results fast and whatnot.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Re: help! need work out tips! (abs)

Do cycles while alternating knees as you crunch. Works out all the ab muscles.

Also, pushups work abs too.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan
    Do cycles while alternating knees as you crunch. Works out all the ab muscles.

Also, pushups work abs too.
    how often should i do this? I highly doubt its a once a night thing >_>

aim for atleast 100 crunches or more. I usually do 40 standard straight crunches, then 30 to hit my obliques, and then I do 30 reverse crunches. to hit lower abs I try to do six inches as well, keep your feet off the ground, hands under your ass or at your side and raise those feet, with your legs straight. you can also pulse your legs up and down, then hold while doing six inches.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

You wanna try to at least work your abs every other day... realistically you should do one ab-workout a day, targeting different areas.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Just a tip, you really can't "get rid" of your stomach by just doing ab exercises. Good start doing cardio. You'll get muscle doing those excercises but will be hidden under a layer of flab unless you get rid of that. Unfortunately getting rid of the belly is more a combination of diet AND exercise.

Yeah crunches and ab workouts alone arn't going to do much for you. You need cardio and healthier diet.

Try 15minutes eliptical, 15minutes treadmill, 15minutes stairmaster or something else to really burn it off FAST!

If you dont have access to a gym running/power walking outside is really the best alternative.

If you want abs you have to get your body fat percentage down, and that requires 90% diet and 10% excercise.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Yeah, you can't 'spot reduce' fat. Doing ab workouts is irrelevant if you have a ton of fat infront of it. You'll build the abdominal muscles underneath the fat, making you look fatter.

It's probably a good idea for you to read up on general diet/excercise. SA has an awesome faq with just about everything you need to know as a beginner here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=2522955

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuki
    ok, so i've been doing a lot of cardio recently (running seldomly, mostly playing dance games [yes, its fun and its cardio while i'm having fun]) but my gut really isn't going down, and its starting to bug me, so what are some good ab workouts or better yet, what are the secrets to doing situps to get better results fast and whatnot.
    Did you used to be heavier? If so, this could be estrogen related fat, which is a total bitch to get rid of without the help of some sort of inhibitor.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Funi
    Yeah, you can't 'spot reduce' fat. Doing ab workouts is irrelevant if you have a ton of fat infront of it. You'll build the abdominal muscles underneath the fat, making you look fatter.

It's probably a good idea for you to read up on general diet/excercise. SA has an awesome faq with just about everything you need to know as a beginner here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=2522955
    ^ What he said.

Your best bet is to build muscle all over your body. The more lean muscle you have, the better metabolism you have. That muscle will continue to help your body metabolize long after you've eaten or are working out, while you are at work resting and such.

So my advice is to take on an entire body workout regimen, including the cardio, to get the abs you want.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I can punch you repeatedly in the stomach. That will beat the fat right off your body. (Or at least provide me with stress relief, one of the two.)

Seriously though, you need to eat healthy and in moderation on top of lots of cardio to get rid of fat. Doing exercises that target the stomach will help to bring definition, but you won't see the definition until the diet and cardio burn enough fat to expose it.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Zylo
    Did you used to be heavier? If so, this could be estrogen related fat, which is a total bitch to get rid of without the help of some sort of inhibitor.
    Yes i used to be heavier, I'm 5'10" and used to be 190 around... sept 2004 at first... I broke up w/ one of my exs at the time, started ffxi, and i skyrocketed to 240+ (Thank you FFXI), i've been like that since 2005, now i'm down to 220, and trying to get back down to at least 200, but i need a more lean torso more than anything else, most of my cardio is from playing dance games at the arcade, and yes i do feel more muscles than what i had before, but the fat is overlapping. So i obviously need to change my diet to work that off. What's an inhibitor? (sorry for the ignorance)

And also thanks a lot for the tips, its making sense to me why i'm not losing weight as fast as before but i'm doing cardio often.

Banned.

BG Level

Didnt see it mentioned, but even with a nice workout and doing it daily or every other day, you will not see improvements on the abs. right away. You will notice improvements in the arms, the chest, and the legs depending on your workout almost instantly (say 2 - 3 weeks of dedicated routine).

Do not let that discourage you though, talking out of my ass here but standard-issue geek should get some "noticeable" improvement in 3-4 months of regular work.

Dont expect to look like the magazine ads though >_>

3-4 months????

If you or anyone works their ass off for 1 month they will see very noticeble changes. Just decide if you want to do it or not. It's a lot of work but it will pay off. 1 month and you will see changes for sure if you work at it. 3-6 months and you could be a whole new person and people will be paying you compliments about how muc you've changed.

New Merits
    BG Level

Yes i used to be heavier, I'm 5'10" and used to be 190 around... sept 2004 at first... I broke up w/ one of my exs at the time, started ffxi, and i skyrocketed to 240+ (Thank you FFXI), i've been like that since 2005, now i'm down to 220, and trying to get back down to at least 200, but i need a more lean torso more than anything else, most of my cardio is from playing dance games at the arcade, and yes i do feel more muscles than what i had before, but the fat is overlapping. So i obviously need to change my diet to work that off. What's an inhibitor? (sorry for the ignorance)

And also thanks a lot for the tips, its making sense to me why i'm not losing weight as fast as before but i'm doing cardio often.
    How old are you (pertains to my theory of estrogen related fat deposits)?

Another tip is while doing your cardio, you can use a heat wrap, warm up your abs and help sweat out some of the water and trim down the layer of fat on them. But to get proper abs you need to either work like a fiend, or exercise moderately and diet properly, choice is yours.

New Merits
    BG Level

I realize this is a necro, but upon reading this thread, I see that I never gave my answer, and that given the facts, the other answers probably won't do anything for you. If you're overweight, by all means, get down to at least 10-12% bodyfat before even considering what I'm going to suggest, but if you're already there and still having the problem, it's probably time to give it a try. Use some sort of topical yohimbine gel (I like Yohimburn ES personally) 30 minutes before you workout; chances are the reason you aren't seeing any improvement to your abdominal area (if you're skinny enough) is that the fat there is A2 rich (very estrogenic, to keep it simple). Such fat is a motherfucking cunt to get rid of and without the use of Yohimbine gels and/or some sort of aromatase inhibitor (but I'd hold off on that), many people never get rid of it. I hope this helps somewhat, and sorry again for the pseudo-necro.

I realize this is a necro, but upon reading this thread, I see that I never gave my answer, and that given the facts, the other answers probably won't do anything for you. If you're overweight, by all means, get down to at least 10-12% bodyfat before even considering what I'm going to suggest, but if you're already there and still having the problem, it's probably time to give it a try. Use some sort of topical yohimbine gel (I like Yohimburn ES personally) 30 minutes before you workout; chances are the reason you aren't seeing any improvement to your abdominal area (if you're skinny enough) is that the fat there is A2 rich (very estrogenic, to keep it simple). Such fat is a motherfucking cunt to get rid of and without the use of Yohimbine gels and/or some sort of aromatase inhibitor (but I'd hold off on that), many people never get rid of it. I hope this helps somewhat, and sorry again for the pseudo-necro.
    I would say, start around 15-18% body fat, If you do it with other stuff. That the most important part. I cant tell you how many Guido faggots i see on the beach with abs of steel and the upper body of a 12 year old girl.

Here was my workout plan for the 3 months before Lacrosse. Run 15-30 min. Arms and shoulders 30 minutes. Chest and Abs - 15 mintutes. Legs 10 minutes. You could do all in one day or rotations. I also dont recomend that you take any supplemnts or anything eles then eating a health meal 1 too 2 hours after. The reason for the no supplements is that your body will piss most of them away because your taking them in higher amounts then you are use to. Also dont worry to much if you do have some amount of fat. The people you see with carved out abs have been 1. Working out a very very long time 2. Use crash dieting 3. Excersize bulimics.

If you look at pro athleats like Hocky, Basket ball, Futball, and Lacrosse, you will see that none of them are really cut but you can see the deffination in there muscels.

I will also try to find the website that had some how to do at home excesizes.

Edit: I'm sorry for my spelling. My computer crashed and i dont know how to get the firefox spell check back on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast