+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ares Body for PLD     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Ares Body for PLD

Am I missing something with this? Is there any reason why a salvage group would give Ares Body to a PLD over a DRK or other melee? I've seen a few of these on my server and to my surprise only one is on a melee; the other ones are all on career PLDs. The stats on Ares that would be any kind of useful to PLD are the 12 VIT, autorefresh, and the 3% HP/MP. Assuming an Elf PLD has 1500hp/350mp, this tranlates into about +45HP and +10MP. Compare this to AF2 Body and you're only gaining about 20 HP, 10MP, the lolVIT, and autorefresh, while losing 4 enmity and the enhanced cover. Speaking as a PLD, the only thing desirable there is the autorefresh, and I'm rarely strapped for MP in any situation enough that I'd be willing to give up the enmity. Do any PLDs have this and feel differently, or am I right in thinking it's a waste for a PLD to upgrade this piece?

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Re: Ares Body for PLD

It's a kbody with 8 less vit but 1 tic of refresh? Ignoring the fact that the enmity is pretty much the only real use out of the valor surcoat other than looks when a wyrm isn't flying, not everyone is lucky enough to score a valor surcoat (or god forbid a hydra body)? Paladins are likely to have another melee leveled that can wear it? Using the same logic why would a melee that isn't a DRG want that bodypiece when an adaberk stomps it? Zip zop zoobity bop?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Ryko
    It's a kbody with 8 less vit but 1 tic of refresh? Ignoring the fact that the enmity is pretty much the only real use out of the valor surcoat other than looks when a wyrm isn't flying, not everyone is lucky enough to score a valor surcoat (or god forbid a hydra body)? Paladins are likely to have another melee leveled that can wear it? Using the same logic why would a melee that isn't a DRG want that bodypiece when an adaberk stomps it? Zip zop zoobity bop?
    My point is that it's not easily obtained, and the people I see with it either don't play the other job that can use it or don't have one at all. I may be overstepping a bit by assuming that other melees who would make better use of it are getting passed up for it, but the point remains (like you said) all it is, is a kbody with less vit/hp but has refresh. I don't have a valor surcoat or hydra body yet, I still use gimp AF1 and I still don't see why I should desire that piece over a melee who could make FAR better use out of its stats.

Not sure why you mentioned the DRG comment, when obviously a DRG cannot use adaberk and should therefore desire the next best thing. Why should a PLD desire Ares when it's (arguably anyway) not any better for his job than AF1?

I think his point was that while Ares Body might not be (arguably) better for PLD than their AF1, it is also (arguably) not better for DRK or WAR either since they both get Hauby line.

23 years old

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    My point is that it's not easily obtained, and the people I see with it either don't play the other job that can use it or don't have one at all. I may be overstepping a bit by assuming that other melees who would make better use of it are getting passed up for it, but the point remains (like you said) all it is, is a kbody with less vit/hp but has refresh. I don't have a valor surcoat or hydra body yet, I still use gimp AF1 and I still don't see why I should desire that piece over a melee who could make FAR better use out of its stats.

Not sure why you mentioned the DRG comment, when obviously a DRG cannot use adaberk and should therefore desire the next best thing. Why should a PLD desire Ares when it's (arguably anyway) not any better for his job than AF1?
    What Delekii said. That was my point, the only DD that can use ares that can't use an adaberk is a DRG. Therefore if we go by what's potentially better out there, the only job that should get "priority" or even want an ares body is a DRG. As for who it should go to, that's up to the people who desire it to decide. I personally don't want to go through the trouble of getting an ares body, but that's mostly because I don't like salvage to begin with. Coupled with our abysmal drop rate in dynamis and the fact that I really wouldn't use a Kbody even if I had one, guess what I'm wearing.

Also: It's entirely more likely that you'll be able to finish an ares body as a PLD and still find some way to make use of it (I mean it's not like more MP a tic is a bad thing, and 2 enmity isn't exactly that huge of a loss in exchange for a better per tic rate of refresh) than it is that you'll luck out and get a valor surcoat when you want it. It either comes abundantly and you have it before you know what to do with it, or you're waiting for your next drop for 8 months. *Shrug* Flip a coin, all in all it's just getting out of that lame AF1 model.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Ah, I understand what you're getting at now. Still, I don't think you'd argue that Valor body/Koenig is more common than E.body for practically everyone; it's like saying if a Juggernaut drops off a KS99, well it should go to a BST because WARs get Ridill and use Maneater with it. Just because they have great gear possibilities it doesn't mean they automatically have it, especially when the main point of salvage is an alternative to camping 3 kings (though at this point I almost prefer 3 kings). Compare this to PLD, when 100% of the population does have AF1 body, and Ares is hardly an improvement over that - you see my point. I guess I'm analyzing this more than I should, but when I see the difference between say - a NQ haubergeon (which every melee who can use should/does have nowadays) and Ares vs a Gallant Surcoat and Ares, that's why I wondered "why bother?"

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I can't imagine using Ares Body over Gem Cuirass, and at least on my server Gem costs less in terms of pure gil (Imperial Wootz Ingots). The only time I would is like... XP. Even then, if I don't need the ACC from haub, I'd just eat meat.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Yutuyu
    I can't imagine using Ares Body over Gem Cuirass, and at least on my server Gem costs less in terms of pure gil (Imperial Wootz Ingots). The only time I would is like... XP. Even then, if I don't need the ACC from haub, I'd just eat meat.
    Your gem body doesn't give you refresh, and that refresh over time will allow you to cure yourself and others more, which in turn, will generate more enmity.

23 years old

BG Level

Edit: Misread.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

1 tick of Refresh really isn't that big of a deal once you get Ethereal Earring.

23 years old

BG Level

1 tick of Refresh really isn't that big of a deal once you get Ethereal Earring.
    Considering I tend to keep shadows up rather well, use sentinel when I know I can't, don't really do TOAU HNMs and wyrms don't exactly hit me hard enough in the air to give me back that MP/tic, the ethereal is starting to look less and less useful by the day, I'd much rather have a 1MP/tic option than the ethereal if it came down to the same slot. This is ignoring that the ethereal earring is entirely a non-sequitur and theyre not exactly mutually exclusive

New Merits
    BG Level

In the last six months my LS has seen 9 Deimos' Cuirass drop, 5 are complete, 2 are missing ingots, and 2 are missing the 25 piece. During this same stretch, I've seen a grand total of 1 Valor Body drop doing 2 or 3 Xarca a month. Personally, I think this piece is best for a DRG and somewhat crap for a WAR or DRK unless they eat sushi, even compared to an NQ Haub but at least is situationally useful for a PLD, I can think of situations where I would rather have the auto-refresh over 4 enmity. In any case I would suggest that Ares' Cuirass is one of the easier body pieces to complete in salvage and isn't worth worrying about job priority over.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

^ I'd say you're probably right (. . )

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Essentially the piece is Koenig + Auto Refresh. For certain styles of play, that Auto Refresh alone is a huge boon, since the only other option is Vermillion Cloak. Even at that, anyone who currently uses Koenig Cuirass over their other options would be better-served by an Ares' Cuirass.

I'd definitely take one over AF1 anyway, Auto Refresh is well worth the loss of 2 Enmity IMO, but like I said, different playstyles require different gear.

Am I missing something with this? Is there any reason why a salvage group would give Ares Body to a PLD over a DRK or other melee? I've seen a few of these on my server and to my surprise only one is on a melee; the other ones are all on career PLDs. The stats on Ares that would be any kind of useful to PLD are the 12 VIT, autorefresh, and the 3% HP/MP. Assuming an Elf PLD has 1500hp/350mp, this tranlates into about +45HP and +10MP. Compare this to AF2 Body and you're only gaining about 20 HP, 10MP, the lolVIT, and autorefresh, while losing 4 enmity and the enhanced cover. Speaking as a PLD, the only thing desirable there is the autorefresh, and I'm rarely strapped for MP in any situation enough that I'd be willing to give up the enmity. Do any PLDs have this and feel differently, or am I right in thinking it's a waste for a PLD to upgrade this piece?

Zild?

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

Considering I tend to keep shadows up rather well, use sentinel when I know I can't, don't really do TOAU HNMs and wyrms don't exactly hit me hard enough in the air to give me back that MP/tic, the ethereal is starting to look less and less useful by the day, I'd much rather have a 1MP/tic option than the ethereal if it came down to the same slot. This is ignoring that the ethereal earring is entirely a non-sequitur and theyre not exactly mutually exclusive
    I'll preface this by saying my PLD is almost completely retired, but I too am actually giving some thought to switch AN earrings. In these days of pussy tanking instead of manly face tanking, seems the Conserve MP could very well return similar MP and be more useful for other jobs.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana

Zild?
    Nah, If I wanted to talk shit about someone in a LS I would just do it. I was just seriously wondering if I had missed something about Ares as a viable tanking piece. If I wanted to start drama I'd have named names, I wanted to get some pure discussion out of this.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It's Auto Refresh on a body piece that still allows you to use a head piece. Also a good substitute for Koenig body.

People who underestimate Auto Refresh are idiots, especially with how much a PLD can stack. You can never have too much MP recovery.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

@ Bagel: What does the Conserve MP work out to? IIRC, the base from the BLM trait averages to 12.5%, but I can't imagine the earring would give you that much. I don't know how reliable the wiki info on Conserve MP is, so if you know any better let me know. Based on that information, Magnetic works out to ~3.5% MP saved, which would likely end up being less than you would get back from Ethereal just from stray hits.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

How many people wear this:

Byrnie
    [Body] All Races