Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

So I got some Relic armor the other day~

More specifically I got Koga Hatsuburi and Koga Kyahan (on back-to-back dynamis runs, woo) and I was wanting to work on a Ninjutsu damage set, and was curious about what gearr layout I should work on for it...and if it'll work o_O

A quick note, I don't have a EGLS aside from Dynamis (working on that), so some options aren't available

I've seen some screenshot somewhere of someone :San spell tanking Faust, and was curious about what gear equips I should work for...as well as what exactly it'll be useful on...Any thoughts that can help me out here >_>?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Re: So I got some Relic armor the other day~

If you just want to do damage with Elemental Ninjutsu you'll want to use enough Ninjutsu skill gear to land your nukes most of the time, and then pile on INT/MAB gear everywhere to up their damage. If you won't be meleeing with katanas use (preferably HQ) elemental staves. You could also sub RDM or BLM for the MAB trait.

The Yasha set comes immediately to mind as a decent starting point for gear. INT rings, INT earring, and Moldavite Earring for your accessories. Or a Novio earring if you have one. Ninjutsu Torque, INT one, or Uggy Pendant (provided you can activate it) for your neck. Osode would be a good body piece.

I'm not sure what exactly you'd use it for, I don't see many people with :San spells even unlocked.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Pile on the INT and MAB sets that NIN can use. Moldy earring Is awsome for this on top of the yasha set too. I subbed /blm on my NIN (as a taru though) with a INT/MAB set up, I was doing some nice dmg. the HQ staves for the spells are nice also to have If you want them

So far I've got~

Koga Hatsuburi (ninjutsu dmg+5% yay)
    Phantom Tathlum (INT+2)
    Ninjutsu Torque (skill+7)
    Ninjutsu Earring (skill+3)
    Yasha Body/legs/feet (INT+7 or 8 total from this...not sure)
    Koga Kyahan (Skill+10)

Although seeing as each :Ni ninjutsu has :45 base recast, and :San have 1:30 (If I remember Wiki right) Where abouts should I mix Haste/INT instead? Obvious pieces are belt/haidate but others are like...idk o.o

Banned.

BG Level

or you could stay in haste setup, and switch to damage, for when you are nuking.

I was mostly curious about using haste to lower recast timers

Or would haste spell/marches solve that <_<?

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've got all the san spells as well as potency merits (some.. capped subtle blow and then just made due), 4/8 ninjutsu merits, and I can honestly say that I haven't found a single place for nin/mage, aside from doing the CoP Omega/Ultima BC. :/ I've tried it on random kings and gosd and it's just not effective at all. But! As far as gear goes, INT is very nice, but it should almost never take the place of Haste gear unless in large quantities. Haste is what helps you continually roll out your spells, and once you have enough haste that you can throw all 6 sans without having to wait in between, you're good.

On the topic of MAB though, I tend to stay away from it personally. MAB as you know works as a %, right? And since our nukes won't ever be breaking 1k or anything (more like single digits on most big things), it seems kinda moot to bother with MAB. If you're only nuking for 300 damage, 5% of 300 is like... 15. And that's -if- you're unresisted. The koga hat (NQ and HQ) is MAB+5, I think. :/ Also, I think the difference between RDM sub and BLM sub is 4 MAB? So I usually stick with RDM sub for a little more utility and fast cast.

Gear wise, I think my setups were something like this...

meripo (blech! just use some katanas)
    Ele staves
    Phantom Tathlum
    Yasha headthing
    U Pendant (easy to keep yourself under half mp)
    Ninjutsu Earring
    Moldavite Earring
    Osode
    Dusk Gloves (glove selection SUCKS!)
    Int Rings x2
    No idea what cape, was it a fed army mantle? >.>
    Swift/Speed belt
    Haidate
    Fumas/Nin Kyahan +1

In the event that I decided to gear it up again for NMs and things, I'd probably use this most of the time:
    Ele staves
    Tathlum
    Turban or AF mask
    Ninjutsu torque
    NIN earring
    Possibly that ninjutsu earring from ABCs
    Osode
    Dusk Gloves
    INT rings
    The ninjutsu cape from Sea.
    Speed/Swift Belt
    Haidate
    Koga Kyahan

Fairly scatterbrained as I'm tying this up so I hope I answered your questions. All in all NIN/mage is a lot of fun, just haven't ever found a place for it.

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Carnusty
    Ideally you'd have to figure how much haste gear you need to wear to keep your timers up and ready, and just carry the stuff around with you. As long as you own fumas, dusk gloves, and a turban you'll probably be fine in most cases (though the best would be to get your paws on some Haidate, if you don't have em already).

One of the things I was most interested about for ninjutsu spell damage was for mobs that AoE was a heavy problem (I mentioned earlier Faust, I've seen a screenshot -somewhere- of someone :San nuking him for 100-200 damage...don't really remember...it's been so long T_T)

Thanks alot for all of the info about it though :3 It's depressing that with the skill bonuses that I'll still be resisted...I'll try to test it out eventually, I'll be doing trigger mobs soon at least, I'll see how it goes XD

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you've got nothing else to bring to fights like Faust, Olla, maybe even an Ulli kite, Despot.. the more power to ya, it would be a lot of fun I'm sure. You probably wouldn't even get resisted too terribly much on those guys, and they spam TP so much that the 8.whatever you give them per san ain't so bad at all. :3 Good luck an enjoy, see if you can break 400 with an unresisted san on any of those guys. And if you wind up trying it on a god, let me know if you can land anything for more than single digits reliably and how.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Max possible Ninjutsu Skill is 322. Combined with HQ staves, I don't think you will get resisted that much. Unfortunately Ninjutsu Nukes have very limited practical use, due to them giving a mob 10TP for a relative low damage output. You spam the wheel = The mob spams you with TP moves.

Having a good Ninjustu / INT / MAB build is very nice for soloing while you kite.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Michaera
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnusty
    Ideally you'd have to figure how much haste gear you need to wear to keep your timers up and ready, and just carry the stuff around with you. As long as you own fumas, dusk gloves, and a turban you'll probably be fine in most cases (though the best would be to get your paws on some Haidate, if you don't have em already).
    I got to do NIN/RDM while leveling in the 40s and 50s in two parties and with Haste, Fast Cast 1, and Fumas (~19% Haste?) I had around 5-7 seconds recast on my first nuke when I finished the wheel iirc.

Haste, Haidate, Dusk Gloves, and FC2 might be enough to spam Nis nonstop. I don't have all the elemental tools though (or a RDM or WHM friend) to test it myself right now though.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Few easily obtained items:

AF head or +1 version, use koga head only if you get no resist
    Nin torque
    Stealth earring / Moldy or Nin earring(<--- not really worth it if you have merits imo)
    yasha body (Osode if you just want to up dmg, yasha best for most tanking situations).
    dusk gloves
    Astute cape
    byakko
    swift belt
    koga boots
    tamas ring
    another int ring or whatever else, mermaid for tanking
    Phantom throwing thingy
    [Edit]: If you don't plan on getting all staffs, atleast get ice, otherwise get 7 HQ if possible, save the light staff.

This is just what i think would be best, i lean towards all the +skill items because i don't have any ninjutsu merits. Cape can be duo'd easily and stealth earring can be obtained by slowly accruing coins from solo limbus. Or buy them.. dusk gloves are expensive if you don't have it from your melee set, don't bother to buy it unless you have gil pouring out of your ass. tamas ring is easy to get now if you've completely cop since u can just decide to wear one this week, change the next with the new option to change rewards. Best to get the +skill items first.

Haste concept works exactly the same as it does for melee attacks in relation to DoT. Unless you absolutely must see your highest damage ninjutsu on every shot no matter what. Especially important if you want to tank with ninjutsu. 2-3 elemental wheel cycles to test which setup will get you higher damage on a specific mob by switching in / out between +skill and +int/mab gear.

[Edit]: Tanking NM like faust you might want to switch a couple of the items around with Enmity+. Nin earring vs. Eris, Swift belt vs. Warwolf, nin torque vs. harmony, and yasha leg/hand