Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Triumph or Merman for Jin?

Assuming the rest of my gear is maxed out, (Haub+1, Gorget, Haidate, Tekko+1 etc). What would be the better choice for my earpiece? Triumph or Merman or something else? Would there be little or no difference between the two? (Pixie earring is out of the question)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rith Ridan
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Azjol-Nerub

Re: Triumph or Merman for Jin?

I use Minuet Earring (brutal/minuet), if that's any help. I guess it's all dependant on the way you geared the rest of your NIN though. But I don't think you will see that much difference between any of those 3 equipment pieces (or 4, if you also count Pixie Earring).

Quote Originally Posted by Lawliet
    Assuming the rest of my gear is maxed out, (Haub+1, Gorget, Haidate, Tekko+1 etc). What would be the better choice for my earpiece? Triumph or Merman or something else? Would there be little or no difference between the two? (Pixie earring is out of the question)
    What is your full WS gear set? I go with Brutal / Minuet earring as well but I suppose if I didn't have either of those two I'd go for an attack earring as well. 2 STR won't make a world of difference depending on what else you're wearing.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Brutal / Minuet

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I use Brutal/Minuet but I asked this same exact question and basically got the same exact responses, which was that everyone uses Minuet but no real detailed reason why.

Don't know what to tell you besides the difference is probably really small.

This is something you could probably test on bunnies in Ronfaure to see the maximum difference which would probably favor the Minuet, but that is not even close to the same as an XP party experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree
    I use Brutal/Minuet but I asked this same exact question and basically got the same exact responses, which was that everyone uses Minuet but no real detailed reason why.

Don't know what to tell you besides the difference is probably really small.

This is something you could probably test on bunnies in Ronfaure to see the maximum difference which would probably favor the Minuet, but that is not even close to the same as an XP party experience.
    I choose Minuet mainly because A: I'm always in a merit PT with a BRD that's playing Minuet, and B: apart from the stat + mods (although minimal), the ACC +3 can do nothing but help your overall WS damage.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yar, it's the minuet earring's +3 acc while you have a minuet effect. Since blade:jin is multi-hit it's definitely useful.

Brutal is used because you an extra chance for double attack kicking in, which boosts your damage by 25%.

The other issue is that the minuet earring is by far the cheapest (other than pixie, which is free but annoying to get) of the choices. Last I looked Minuet was about 50k, merman's was about 100k, and triumph was about 800k.

As far as the contributions to stat mods between triumph and minuet: Assuming your blade:jin build is already pimped out, it's reasonable to assume that you've reached the fSTR max for katanas (low damage weapons), so Str and Dex will contribute equally to the 2ndary modifiers, so the +1 str, +1 dex on the minuet will help you as much as the +2 str on the triumph. Additionally, since overloading on dex increases your chance for crit hits, the +1 dex works towards overloading on dex.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Brutal / (Fenrir's | Ethereal)

That's just how I roll.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Brutal / Fenrir | Vampire

Quote Originally Posted by Krystl
    Brutal / Fenrir | Vampire
    WINNER

I usually try to buff ATK moreso than stats sometime on Jins, I get better results with ATK earrings (fenrir/merman) than stat pieces (borrowed a triumph once / merman)

I might be weird, but that worked that way for me for no reason, lol.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I'd say Minuet, with the deciding factor being as others mentioned the +3 acc. I have a lot of ACC in all of my multi-hit WS sets, and for whatever reason even with an abundance of ACC Jin is kinda finicky, so every little extra bit helps.