BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

To harass PS2 users or not?

Should we, as members of the FFXI community, pressure PS2 users to upgrade to 360 or PC in order to enable SE to create new content?

Part of me says no, because it'd be a prick thing to do. Obviously the PS2's old and has limitations. SE's probably using the PS2's limitations as an excuse not to make some rather difficult engine/database changes even though the PS2 may handle some of them just fine. They've definitely got a next-gen MMO in the works that may or may not tie into FFXI in some way (keeping users happy by not trashing all the work they've put into their FFXI chars).

But part of me says yes, we should harass these people to upgrade, because there's a possibility that the next-gen MMO won't tie into FFXI and we'd be forced to make a choice between a newer/prettier/whatever game, and a game that we've put a ton of time into over the years and want to see continue.

So what do you think?

- - - - -

Disclosure: I originally started playing when FFXI was released for the PS2. When my PS2 HD died, I stopped playing for a few months before caving and getting a 360. I've since upgraded to a PC and couldn't be happier. Having used each of the 3 platforms for quite some time, I've become biased towards PC.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Re: To harass PS2 users or not?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the PS2 users upgrade to 360 or PC, but hey, If your comfortable playing on PS2, then by all means, stay playing on PS2 ^^ thats their choice.

"Psst...I can see your TP..."

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sevv Zero
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Stonemaul

ill be happy to move from my ps2 to a computer, send me a check for a couple grand and Ill get right on that.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Supposedly a large portion of the JP base still plays on PS2, so there is little to no chance that Square is going to dump development off that system.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by baudelaire
    Should we, as members of the FFXI community, pressure PS2 users to upgrade to 360 or PC in order to enable SE to create new content?

Part of me says no, because it'd be a prick thing to do. Obviously the PS2's old and has limitations. SE's probably using the PS2's limitations as an excuse not to make some rather difficult engine/database changes even though the PS2 may handle some of them just fine. They've definitely got a next-gen MMO in the works that may or may not tie into FFXI in some way (keeping users happy by not trashing all the work they've put into their FFXI chars).

But part of me says yes, we should harass these people to upgrade, because there's a possibility that the next-gen MMO won't tie into FFXI and we'd be forced to make a choice between a newer/prettier/whatever game, and a game that we've put a ton of time into over the years and want to see continue.

So what do you think?

- - - - -

Disclosure: I originally started playing when FFXI was released for the PS2. When my PS2 HD died, I stopped playing for a few months before caving and getting a 360. I've since upgraded to a PC and couldn't be happier. Having used each of the 3 platforms for quite some time, I've become biased towards PC.
    I'm playing on a PS2 right now. Somebody mail my broke, college student ass a pile of money and/or 360 and I'll gladly accept it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Supposedly a large portion of the JP base still plays on PS2, so there is little to no chance that Square is going to dump development off that system.
    Ewww, that's news to me. Though I do remember hearing something about how porting to a native PS3 app would be really difficult/nearly impossible. It begs the further question, how would you even harass a JP player?

Ashira

Mm, guess I'm surprised that you're surprised the JPs are mostly PS2 based (or PS3 now). Being in a principally JP LS, I've just come to accept it as common knowledge, I guess. >.>

Surprising they don't including information on the platforms used to play in the annual census or anything.

Ewww, that's news to me. Though I do remember hearing something about how porting to a native PS3 app would be really difficult/nearly impossible. It begs the further question, how would you even harass a JP player?
    The easiest way is Hiroshima (|Bomb Toss|) (|You can have this|)

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Im pretty sure they said in one of the last major interviews early this year that a lot of the PS2 based in japan had migrated to ps3 or PC. Xbox is a joke over there so they dont think much of it, but the 360 has a package that comes with FFXI so Im sure it got itself a nice boost there from users wanting to upgrade.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Since harrassment can get you banned, it would be like this.

PC user: Upgrade your cheap ass already.
    PS2 user:Hi GM Dave
    GM Dave: PC user, you are banned for harrassment.
    PS2 user: /cheer no more people watching me hold tp over 100%.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Right and then in like a year you will be bitching about x360/ps3 users and their limitations. This is stupid. Some people can't afford shit like some of us, doesn't mean they should be harrassed.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Sev
    ill be happy to move from my ps2 to a computer, send me a check for a couple grand and Ill get right on that.
    how did you post this

They should just plan obsolesence. No PS3/X360/PC? That's fine, you can keep playing, but the New Expansion is only available on those platforms.

As for cost to upgrade, a cheap PC that can run FFXI great is like all of $400 nowadays.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

They should give PS2 users a server to themselves. It would be a win win situation. PS2/3/xbox360 (SE won't go back and increase graphics for a console game they already released) players wont have to worry about bots, ability hacks (although this kinda died down due to bannings I think), and other things PC users brought to the game (tp counter, auto ja use). PC people can do whatever they want on their servers, make mods, run amuck. It would be nice.

Edit: Wii, Dreamcast, and PS3 allow web browsing. Cellphones also. I have a PC but don't like sitting at them. I also don't like playing games, looking at movies, or any entertainment activities via PC. Why would I upgrade a PC for something I can play on PS2? Wasted money, and I hate trying to keep pc's maintained and running well. What they should do, for you guys, is make a ffxi-2. Then have it PC only.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme
    It pisses me off to no end when somebody uses this, as a joke or not.

Thanks, i just had to say it.

You realize that you can hack on the PS2 if you have the proper hardware, right?

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme
    GFG Link

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    You realize that you can hack on the PS2 if you have the proper hardware, right?
    Would be far less hackers.

Same could be said if SE actually enforced their ToS, and that solution would not drastically segregate the game population.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast