+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Re: NBA ref gets caught fixing games

Quote Originally Posted by Devek

Let me know why you think violent offenders, drug addicts, and sex offenders should be around kids.
    The majority of the NBA and it's players aren't "violent offenders", "drug addicts", or "sex offenders". Period.You see more of those in the WWE and they don't garner half of the bad press the NBA does.

Given the NBA is nothing compared to the NFL on criminal activity.. it doesn't change anything. All I am asserting is that "role-model" type people should have clean records.
    If a referee fixing games for the freaking mafia doesnt constitute as "criminal activity" then I don't know what does. Right now, the NFL, NBA, and MLB are all dealing with their fair share of problems. But neither should be considered full of "violent offenders", they just get more press because theyre famous and have money.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    If they're paid to do all of that, how exactly is it a donation?

If they go to an elementary school to read a book, its for publicity, which in turn helps their public image, which in turn helps them make more money through endorsements. Don't go handing out girl scout cookies to entertainers for entertaining. Its their job, and they're quite overpaid for it already.
    Why does anyone donate their time and money? To feel good about themselves or to gain good PR/tax rightoffs? Bringing up their incentive to help out is kinda of moot when 9 times out of 10, people don't invest in donations simply out of "the goodness in their hearts."

And another thing that irks me beyond belief is when people say sports players are over payed. If you're willing to pay $60 for a pair of tickets to see Michael Jordan play basketball, then who the fuck is more deserving of the money you spent to watch him? The mascots?

It's like me saying Bungie doesn't deserve to see the majority of the profit made off of Halo. And that all the money should go to Microsoft because they own the bitch.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay

If they go to an elementary school to read a book, its for publicity, which in turn helps their public image, which in turn helps them make more money through endorsements. Don't go handing out girl scout cookies to entertainers for entertaining. Its their job, and they're quite overpaid for it already.
    Why does anyone donate their time and money? To feel good about themselves or to gain good PR/tax rightoffs? Bringing up their incentive to help out is kinda of moot when 9 times out of 10, people don't invest in donations simply out of "the goodness in their hearts."
    WHY DID YOU BRING IT UP IN THE FIRST PLACE THEN

Black Belt
    BG Level

PS: and who got a 16 yr old drunk? lol i didnt hear about that
    Chris Henry.

Given the NBA is nothing compared to the NFL on criminal activity..
    not really relevant but whenever people bring this up, i wonder how many of them realize there are over 1500 active NFL players compared to less than 500 active NBA players. what are the odds that 1500 people commit more crimes than 500 people?

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Intense

WHY DID YOU BRING IT UP IN THE FIRST PLACE THEN
    BCUZ DEVEK WAS TRYING TO COMPARE EVERYDAY OFFICE JOBS TO THAT OF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS PLAYERS. WE ARE FORCED TO RECIEVE BACKGROUND CHECKS BUT THEY (ARE REQUIRED TO) DO OTHER THINGS THAT WE DON'T. (LIKE VISITING SICK KIDS AT HOSPITALS) SO MAKING A COMPARISON LIKE THAT IS STUPID.

MAYBE IF I KEEP WRITING IN CAPS, YOU'LL LEARN A LITTLE READING COMPREHENSION.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Oh, I can read and comprehend what youre saying clearly, but your just spouting out irrelevent shit. Please forgive me if I dont understand what your fucking point is right away.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Not trying to be an ass lol, just don't understand why its so hard for people to accept that not all black athletes are criminals.

My other point is this: no one complains about paying for CD's, movie tickets, or videogames. It was never a bad thing that actors, musicians, and game-makers alike are paid handsomely. But as soon as a little money gets into the black mans hands everyone screams WHYYY OH WHYY R THEY PAYIN THEM SO MUCH?! As if the players aren't deserving to receive the money you spend to see them play. >.>

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

No one said black in this thread except you, they said hoodlum. A hoodlum can be of any race.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by layoneil
    PS: and who got a 16 yr old drunk? lol i didnt hear about that
    Chris Henry.

Given the NBA is nothing compared to the NFL on criminal activity..
    not really relevant but whenever people bring this up, i wonder how many of them realize there are over 1500 active NFL players compared to less than 500 active NBA players. what are the odds that 1500 people commit more crimes than 500 people?

Has nothing to do with the total number of players, but the percentage of player's arrested. I'm trying to find the study, but the NFL had quite a lead on the NBA in the percent of players arrested (It may have been on "Outside the Lines"). Stern has done a remarkable job as of late cleaning things up. Im sure the NFL arrests will go down now since Goodell and the player's union are working together to form probably the strictest conduct policy in pro-sports.

It's not stupid. They don't lose anything by volunteering their time to read books to children, or visit hospitals. It's just more money and fame to do so, like Xavier said. Now, if a middle school teacher took their time out of the day to read books to children in Africa, and do relief work in AIDS-stricking countries, now that would be exceptional, because that would be a no monetary or fame gain sacrifice. Not gonna have any pity for people who make as much money sitting on a bench for 3 hours, as most people make in a year.

Good job on pouncing on the racial issue, though. You do realize 'hoodlum' isn't exclusively a jab at black people, right?
    hood·lum
    Noun
    1. a thug or gangster.
    2. a young street ruffian, esp. one belonging to a gang.

Edit: Intense beat me to it.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Intense
    No one said black in this thread except you, they said hoodlum. A hoodlum can be of any race.
    You can call them whatever you wish. But don't act like those blanket comments aren't racist when 80% of the "hoodlums" playing in the NBA are black. Cue the THATS RACIST kid, lol.

Venture, you can pretend that you're not being a bigot all you want. But we all knew who you were referring to when you made your comment. And i'm willing to bet my left leg that you werent talking about Tony Parker.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Lets be objective here. Your point in saying that the white man is against the black man having money because someone said NBA players are overpaid is racist in itself. You imply that were referring to race, when no one has.

Yes, 80% of the NBA player may be black, but 20% arent. Making a general statement like "they are overpaid" implies that other 20% are overpaid as well and is far from racism.

I never said anything about black people, nor did I even say that all or even most players are criminals.

Even if we assumed for a second that none of them are criminals, they should still have to pass background checks IMHO.

Anyone else that works with children does and even my job which doesn't deal with any children at all requires one.

Professional has a meaning in this world, and I think over time professional sports will becomes more professional.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

You may have mistaken my point. The only person that I was referring being racist was Venture/Karly. The statements about them being overpaid is something that I feel is baseless, because no one complains about the salaries of workers in other forms of entertainment. I'd be wrong to say that you're being racist for believing the players are overpaid to play basketball. But, it is wrong to say "Hahah, as if the NBA didn't have any other problems with the hoodlums they put in uniform." It's not funny, and makes you look like a real asshole.

And you took it as racist because you assumed that since 80% of the NBA was black, that any slight against players in the NBA would be racist against blacks. Even though we've already mentioned that 'hoodlum' isn't a knock against any one race, but one against people who go into the stands to attack fans, kick cameramen, choke their coaches, or brawl on the court during playoffs. I'm not gonna keep playing Tag the Racist, because there's no racism implied, at least on the behalf of the other posters in this thread.

Edit: Had to make mention of who it was racist to at the end of the first sentence to make sure the point of contention was clear.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

You may have mistaken my point. The only person that I was referring being racist was Venture/Karly. The statements about them being overpaid is something that I feel is baseless, because no one complains about the salaries of workers in other forms of entertainment. I'd be wrong to say that you're being racist for believing the players are overpaid to play basketball. But, it is wrong to say "Hahah, as if the NBA didn't have any other problems with the hoodlums they put in uniform." It's not funny, and makes you look like a real asshole.
    But how? Its no secret that a lot of professional sports players are less than reputable people. So he singled out the NBA instead of any other sport, where is this racist?

Well he didn't mention PGA!

Well he didn't mention PGA!
    Careful. You might get him started on all the contributions Tiger Woods has made to golf.

lol, every group of entertainers has people complaining about their salaries. Baseball, football and NBA alike since those are the three major sports in the US. Hell i even hear people complain that actors and tv people get paid to much.

And it's not racist just because he said 'hoodlums' and it doesn't mean it's not true what he said. It's also not limited to just the NBA, 'hoodlums' are ruining the image of a lot of sports.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Venture
    And you took it as racist because you assumed that since 80% of the NBA was black, that any slight against players in the NBA would be racist against blacks. Even though we've already mentioned that 'hoodlum' isn't a knock against any one race, but one against people who go into the stands to attack fans, kick cameramen, choke their coaches, or brawl on the court during playoffs. I'm not gonna keep playing Tag the Racist, because there's no racism implied, at least on the behalf of the other posters in this thread.
    So when theres fighting done in hockey, I assume theyre just being competitive? Is it just a coincidence that 80% of hockey players are white, yet when they get into large brawls no one calls them hoodlums for it? Face it, theres a double standard for the black athlete in America. Chris Benoit kills his family, even has a record of past offenses and still receives a 3 hour tribute show airing on national television. Michael Vick kills 8 dogs and will remain under scrutiny of the public eye untill he either A.) wins a superbowl or B.) finds the cure for aids.

You're right, I did take your statement as racism whehter you meant it that way or not. But looking at the track record of most BG posters, that fact that a player is black is brought up in almost every one of the "new NBA/NFL/MLB scandal" threads.