Item Search

BG-Wiki Search

View Poll Results: What would you do with the gil?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it all and buy fireworks to celebrate your winnings

33 27.50%
  • Return 100% since I'm a nice guy

69 57.50%
  • Return a portion to him but keep the rest

18 15.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Auction House mistakes     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Auction House mistakes

The other day, I was on the fortunate end of an auction house mistake. Someone bid $950,000 for a $95,000 listed item. Simple mistake that we've all done, but $855,000 for free is a crapton these days. This was done on my Jeuno mule that logs in about once every 2 days just to list items. I got a JP tell the next time I was logged on that character (obviously telling me the error but since I can't read JP I didn't figure this out). Its a mule, so I won't be hassled by this JP and all his buddies on my main. Return the gil or keep it? I'm pretty ethical irl and its bothering me, I know karma can be a bitch sometimes. Now...what would you do or what have you done in the past?

New Merits
    BG Level

Re: Auction House mistakes

Return it, I say. You would want someone to do the same for you if the situation was reversed.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Return it.

Actually ask around, find out if he is a nice guy.
    If he is, return all - the purchase price.
    If not, black list him.

Other than that i would personally return it either way, my rep is bad enough, i dont need something like that.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

What about the reverse? Someone lists Kraken Club to write their name in the sales history. You win it for 10k. Keep, return, lol at their mistake and make a YTMND?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Were it the other way around, you would want the person to return the money to you. Return the gil to him.

Sagacious Sundi

Return it. Like others have said, chances are someone that keeps it would be all "wah wah wah gimme my gil" (and probably call a GM) if the reverse happened. It's okay to feel sad when you give it up, especially in this economy.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'd have to say depends on whether they be a dick about it or not. If they ask nicely for it back then sure, no reason not to. But if they be a dick about it right off the bat and blame everything on you or some shit like that, then fuck em, they don't deserve it back. And yes, I have heard of people who are dicks like that.

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I have never expected, and never gotten, money back when I overbid.

If it's on a mule and you can't be bugged on a regular basis, I'd say keep it.

Mean and cold, I know!

Quote Originally Posted by solsovly
    What about the reverse? Someone lists Kraken Club to write their name in the sales history. You win it for 10k. Keep, return, lol at their mistake and make a YTMND?
    IMO if you are stupid enough to put an item of that worth on the AH for so little just to have your name up there, you deserve to have someone lot on it and take your stuff for next to nothing. Nothing good can ever come of it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Bxbaby
    Quote Originally Posted by solsovly
    IMO if you are stupid enough to put an item of that worth on the AH for so little just to have your name up there, you deserve to have someone lot on it and take your stuff for next to nothing. Nothing good can ever come of it.
    Someone who is trying to brag or scrub a signature off of an item is a whole different story than someone who just over bit. I would put that in the "Ha ha you deserved it" category.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

If it's a considerable amount of money (open to interpretation) and it looks like an honest mistake, return it.

When my RDM was around 60, I scraped up enough money to buy a Penitent's Rope (around 2 mil at the time) over the course of a few weeks. Finally got 2 mil late one night (around 3am), decided to start bidding a little lower to see if I could snag one for 1.9 or 1.95. My first few low bids didn't go through, so I said fuck it, bid 2 mil and got it! Only to check my inventory and see that I had accidentally hit the right arrow key and bid 2 mil on a Kaiser Belt instead of a Penitent's. I pretty much shit a brick, because I had practically no gil and a 70k belt now. Out of the blue a few days later, the guy who sold the Kaiser Belt walked up to me in Jeuno, hit trade, and gave me 1.93 mil. I had never met him before, he was a JP BST who didn't speak a word of English, but what he did said more than any words could've.

Before that, I might've kept the money if someone had done that to something I sold, afterwards I wouldn't think twice, I'd hunt them down and give it back ASAP. However, "AH braggers" who sell shit to themselves for 1337 gil are fair game.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I have mixed feelings.

I've been on the good end of this 3 times, and have always given the money back. (it was alot, 9mil)

However, every single one of my friends that has accidentally overbid on something asked for the money back, and the JP would either:

1) Put /away up immeadatley
    2) Straight up say no
    3) Repay him about 5% back and say, "I'm sorry"

I really have little faith in JP's nowadays since 90% of them are extremely racist. I bet you if that guy had something you overbid on, he wouldn't pay you back.

If you're bothered about keeping the money, you should return it though. You don't want that hanging over your conscious if it's gonna bother you.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

That's a lot of money these days and to keep it would be pretty lame. JP or not, someone else worked really hard for that money probably and to not care is pretty heartless.

And I've been burned myself with items (bazaared an enhancing earring for 500k when they were going for 5 mil) and I still wouldn't stoop to taking someone else's gil.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Early on id say keep it but now my feelings have changed. I feel majority of the people would not return to you in fact I have over bid on items before due to lag in jeuno and being in a sleepy haze on top of that or once rushing to leave for a party. I got jacked 400k on a 40k item before tried to find person but it took a couple days when I finally saw them online I sent /tells and was ignored over the course of a week or so I sent a /tell or two everytime we were both on since they never responded but nothing ever came of it and sucked it up and took loss.

If it ever happens to me where someone over paid something I sadly keep it and for it being a jp well I think Id be like sorry {English} only {Japanese}{Party}{Thanks for the offer but ill have to pass}

Since I see this on average of 4/5 jps i invite and recently more and more in seacoms

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Missnasty
    That's a lot of money these days and to keep it would be pretty lame. JP or not, someone else worked really hard for that money probably and to not care is pretty heartless.

And I've been burned myself with items (bazaared an enhancing earring for 500k when they were going for 5 mil) and I still wouldn't stoop to taking someone else's gil.
    I remember that. ;o

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Baha
    Quote Originally Posted by Missnasty

I remember that. ;o
    ;_;

since you are tied up on it, obviously you want some of the cash. send back 800k and keep yourself a 55k reward.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

So I contacted him and after a broken English/Autotranslate conversation he seems like a nice enough guy. What ended up happening was actually kinda nice.

I met him and traded him 850k back and hit confirm.
    He took the gil then traded me again.
    I sent him a ? tell.
    Then he puts up 10 million gil in the trade window, smiles, then changes it to 100k and confirms.

So obviously he wasn't really dying over the error but was still grateful and gave me a reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavian
    since you are tied up on it, obviously you want some of the cash. send back 800k and keep yourself a 55k reward.
    A stupid tax, you could say.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'd return it.

I remember saving up 50,000g for the first time back in my newbie days and, thinking I was all badass, I bid it all on a Demon Helm at the Windurst AH. I figured since it was a Lv.70+ item, it must have been worth a hell of a lot more than 50k. I'll never forget that feeling of my heart dropping once I won the bid. I checked for weeks, but never caught the guy that I bought it from online. All I could do was send the helm back to the guy and hope he was a nice guy. He sent the money back like two months later, so it was all good in the end.

Please forgive me, the "ye olde FFXI" has made me nostalgic.