BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Red Mage: A few Questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Red Mage: A few Questions

Hello,

I have looked through a few threads on these subjects, but am looking for a few definitive answers :3

I have recently hit the 70's on my RDM, my first serious mage job (NIN75 ;o) and am wondering:

1) Mistilteinn & Shield... For the +13 MND, knowing that MND affects the Proc / % on Paralyze / Slow, is it worth it more than the +10/15% accuracy bonus than the staves on HNM / Gods? (At the moment it would seem that it would be ok for Meritpo for sure) *Using Mistilteinn as an example, but obviously id be getting Mythic/+1 for the time being*

2) With that said, in a MND build, obviously i understand that Enf Skill shouldnt be overlooked too much, but how much skill would be best in different situations eg. HNM etc~? I am sure that after Merits and capping Enf Skill its around 297~ base skill, would it be best to throw in, for example, the AF body instead of Errant / Mahatma? ( 1.363636.. Skill / 1 MND -Mahatma) Or would that be situational depending on what your casting on ~?

3) I couldnt seem to find the answer to this one, but what is the affect of MND in relation to "white" enfeeble accuracy? (Found out all about potency :3)

4) My Kitten died today, did God kill it because a RDM used full Wise gear?

Sorry for these, I just want to try to be as good as I can be in a job that I have fallen in love with :3

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Re: Red Mage: A few Questions

im pretty casual rdm. only thing i can say for sure is to have all the enfeebling torque and earring. make sure you have your af body. max enfeebling merits. get 2xmnd+5 rings. and use the correct staff on the spell your casting and you SHOULD be fine ithink

and never ever switch out your pimp hat until you get the relic pimp hat.its just too damn cool

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

1) Mistilteinn & Shield... For the +13 MND, knowing that MND affects the Proc / % on Paralyze / Slow, is it worth it more than the +10/15% accuracy bonus than the staves on HNM / Gods? (At the moment it would seem that it would be ok for Meritpo for sure) *Using Mistilteinn as an example, but obviously id be getting Mythic/+1 for the time being*

Yes.

2) With that said, in a MND build, obviously i understand that Enf Skill shouldnt be overlooked too much, but how much skill would be best in different situations eg. HNM etc~? I am sure that after Merits and capping Enf Skill its around 297~ base skill, would it be best to throw in, for example, the AF body instead of Errant / Mahatma? ( 1.363636.. Skill / 1 MND -Mahatma) Or would that be situational depending on what your casting on ~?

Keep as much MND as you can, for most HNMs I found myself debuffing with +60 to +65 MND and about about 315 to 322 enfeebling skill. Increase skill if you're seeing too many resists, but keep as much MND as you possibly can.

3) I couldnt seem to find the answer to this one, but what is the affect of MND in relation to "white" enfeeble accuracy? (Found out all about potency :3)

I've always been under assumption MND only helps potency, not accuracy.

Yes, the only acceptable pieces are head+1 for drain/aspir and feet+1.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

For Slow 2 and Para 2, you shouldn't need much more than ~320 Enfeebling skill to stick it on on most endgame mobs. Fill up the rest of those slots with MND, add more skill if you get resists. As they say, shit is situational.

On any other spell (silence, grav, etc) potency is irrelevant, so simply pile on as much Enfeebling skill as you can carry. While some may disagree, it is mostly an accepted theory that MND (or INT for black magic) does not effect resist rate on enfeebles, so stacking either respective stat would be pointless.

Yes, the only acceptable pieces are head+1 for drain/aspir and feet+1.
    I can't for the life of me imagine what I would use wise feet+1 for. Care to elaborate?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

+5 INT on them, which is the highest amount of INT you'll find for RDM feet gear. Nifty for stuff like Bind, Blind, etc.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I was under the impression that Blind and Bind were static enfeebles, so I never bothered stacking any large sum of INT on them.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I was too for a long time, but lately I've been hearing more and more about increasing their potency and how they're actually not static at all. But I've never gone to test and I expect any tests would be skewed and probably bogus because of no way to measure any difference. But hey, it couldn't hurt if it is true could it? :D

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

If you don't have af2 feet, could use wise +1 for nuking, or toss 'em on for bind/gravity, I just toss int where I can't put enfeebling + for those spells, I notice a lot of times duoing stuff with a blm friend of mine my bind can survive a couple of his nukes before breaking.

I use wand/shield for para / slow and blind if nin doesn't cast.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I used to be ultra-obsessive about stacking MND or INT for all of my spells because I had the "well, it can't possibly hurt can it?" mindset. I used windower macros primarily so that every last enfeeble and cure had as much MND or INT as I could afford.

Then one day I decided it was silly because I was swapping out hundreds of MP, especially if I wanted to cast a spell immediately after converting. So I stopped bothering, with the exception of Para/Slow and nukes of course. I never saw any major decrease in effectiveness for my other spells, but I can't prove anything either way.

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

The great INT debate. Speaking from anecdotal experience, I'd say it effects accuracy at the very least, possibly potency. No pics, so obviously it didn't happen.

Got proof. Possible that it might have been shooped though.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/4061/poidhva0.png

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Cletis
    im pretty casual rdm. only thing i can say for sure is to have all the enfeebling torque and earring. make sure you have your af body. max enfeebling merits. get 2xmnd+5 rings. and use the correct staff on the spell your casting and you SHOULD be fine ithink

and never ever switch out your pimp hat until you get the relic pimp hat.its just too damn cool
    Elite Beret/+1 is acceptable until you have your relic hat. No, I never bothered with it unless it was on endgame mobs, but I did own an elite beret +1 for the better part of a year.

+5 skill is +5 skill, end of story.

And yes, anyone caught in wise hands/legs/body should be shot.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

drain/aspir do not seem to be much effected by int, so, until one gets ones paws on a nice orange body peice w +5 dark skill, using a wise body for drain/aspir doesnt seem like a bad idea if you ask me. >.> but i am an aspirwhore and stack on anrin obi, crim hands, torque, earring, pluto staff, and my orange pants on for drain/aspir in dyna lol.

as for the other questions, i start any situation casting in pure mnd gear + hq staff, then layer back on skill gear a bit at a time if i'm getting resists. occationally i forgo my staves for mythic+1, esp now that i have my hat, but usually i use the staves bonus to accuracy to let me wear mnd almost everywhere else. (well, for ears i stick with enfeebling earring/loq. bc the most mnd you can get in an earring slot is still a negligable amount)

Banned.

BG Level

I'm hijacking your thread:

I'm leveling RDM and have the intention of using it for Salvage. Because of this, I intend to fully merit Phalanx II. Can I get away with no Enhancing Skill merits to hit the cap on it? Could anyone help me out with this?

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    I'm leveling RDM and have the intention of using it for Salvage. Because of this, I intend to fully merit Phalanx II. Can I get away with no Enhancing Skill merits to hit the cap on it? Could anyone help me out with this?
    I could be wrong on this, I'm not a Phalanx-specced RDM (I feel like a fucking WoW'er saying that...), but I was under the impression that there wasn't a cap besides the sheer small amount of +enhancing gear available in game. Let's see...

- AF2 gloves (15)
    - AF pants (15)
    - Enhancing Torque (7)
    - Augmenting Earring (3)
    - Merciful Cape (5)
    - Glamor Jupon (3)

With all that gear, level 3 Phalanx II and no Enhancing merits, you'd get 304 enhancing skill, which would get you -22 damage from Phalanx II. 8 Enhancing merits would raise your skill another 16, which puts you at 320. Not enough to reach 23 damage absorbed. Now, seeing as how you're only going to hit -22 anyways, you can save one inventory space by not carrying the Glamor Jupon or Augmenting Earring and still have -22 with 301 skill, 300 being the minimum required to keep -22 damage Phalanx II. With the more "realistic" gearset of AF pants and torque, you'd get 21 damage absorbed.

Edit: The much simpler way to say it is that you start out with 1 damage absorbed. You get 1 more damage absorbed per 25 Enhancing skill. The thresholds to break are 275 and 300. You get 3 more damage absorbed per level of Phalanx II, including the first. If something won't push you over the next Enhancing skill threshold, it's useless.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

/yawn Wow... I go to sleep and the thread gets hijacked ; ;

Thanks for the replies, it has confirmed that a wand is worth buying~! (With the understanding to keep staves / skill gear around in case resist are lol/cry)

P.S... With regards to Merits, I am strongly leaning towards maxing Convert Recast, and for the remainder, I was thinking 3 Ice / 2 Earth... Or is that a waste of a combination? p.p

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Convert merits are <3. By accuracy, I think by raising your MND/INT to over or close to the mobs MND/INT you will have less resists. If you mean less resist rates as in accuracy then yes.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Yes, i did mean stave accuracy in relation to resists :3
    Regarding monster MND and other stats, is there anywhere that actually has details of what mobs have what stat? o.O; I am sure i have seen people pointing to a site like that in the past ;o

(I guess its time to drag some people to Qulun Dome to camp mr Jingles (Quadav King.. cant spell his name so subbing in something that i can spell <_<)

On the topic of Convert merits, the thing with RDM is that it all depends what you'll be doing with the job. Personally I didn't go for any Convert merits because I wanted a good spread on elemental accuracy. I was usually one of if not the only RDM at LS Events and therefore had to make sure that my enfeebles lasted a long time. I could see how convert merits are good for merit / tp burn / limbus, but for things like Kings I am not too sure how they'd be beneficial.

The problem/great thing about RDM Merits is that they are all good in certain situations, depending on what you do. But this also leads to many arguments about which is better.

Quote Originally Posted by rrynn
    drain/aspir are not at all effected by int
    Fixed this for you.