E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Why are people still joining the military?

I keep coming across posts (not necessarily in this forum, but plenty of others) and also stories of friends of friends bidding farewell because they're on their way to boot camp. This really boggles my mind. I'm wondering if they're living under a rock and unaware that we're fighting a war that they're almost certain to participate in.

Time for the soapbox here and massive personal opinion. I vehemently disagree with what's going on in Iraq. I think Bush is a complete douche-bag and a moron on top of it. Most of America (according to polls, anyway) views the war in Iraq as a waste of lives and resources. Anyone who thinks that the war in Iraq is preserving freedom for America is delusional in my opinion. Again, most of the US reflects this thinking in poll results. That being said, why in the world would someone go to bat for something that the majority of the US thinks is a massive mistake? Do they not realize the very real possibility that they're going to wind up mentally impacted (PTSD), physically mutilated, or dead? The thing that makes me think "wtf?" the most is supporting Bush's idiocy. Why in the hell would someone follow that retard's stupidity? Are most people doing it because their friends are joining?

Maybe I'm just rambling, but I just don't understand why anyone would think joining the military under the present conditions is a smart move, or necessary. Personally I think it's neither.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Re: Why are people still joining the military?

Well, some people don't really have a choice but to join the military sometimes. You are probably from a wealthy, or, 'decent' family and probably have more options. However, most people join the military/army/airforce for schooling and maybe a good job. Other people that do it just for the hell of it, I don't know.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Do you realize how much money you can make in iraq? Maybe not worth it to some, but friends I have in the military absolutely love it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

its a job that usually promises free schooling,alright pay and no living expenses,whats to not understand

obviously they are doing it to spite you

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

This is not going to end well.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by ozz
    its a job that usually promises free schooling,alright pay and no living expenses,whats to not understand
    You get treated like shit, live in shit conditions, and you might get free schooling. Oh yes, Iraq is fun, very fun.

Not everyone is as close minded as you seem to be and believe in world issues, not just american issues. While this may not be doing shit for america, i'm sure there's a country with quite a few people that'll be glad we're doing what we are. Maybe not now or even in the next 10 years, but when the dust settles this will have been a good thing on a global scale.

I might sound a little jaded. But i'd like to think that something good can come of it. I was all for getting rid of saddam and his kids, but i'm sure we need to get out of there asap as well.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen
    Quote Originally Posted by ozz
    You get treated like shit, live in shit conditions, and you might get free schooling. Oh yes, Iraq is fun, very fun.
    hows that very different than being homeless and jobless here?
    or they want to help their country win by being a part of the war...its not a crime to have a opinion in the minority is it?

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya
    Not everyone is as close minded as you seem to be and believe in world issues, not just american issues. While this may not be doing shit for america, i'm sure there's a country with quite a few people that'll be glad we're doing what we are. Maybe not now or even in the next 10 years, but when the dust settles this will have been a good thing on a global scale.

I might sound a little jaded. But i'd like to think that something good can come of it. I was all for getting rid of saddam and his kids, but i'm sure we need to get out of there asap as well.
    I'd like to know what country this is, cause Iraq sure as hell hasn't been happy about America's continued presence.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If you mean Israel, I doubt they care about the war in Iraq as it doesn't really concern them and hasn't concerned them from day one.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya

We knew saddam would become dictatorial and treat his own ppl like shit, yet our government still installed him back in the early 80s. you hear that right, we supported saddam so that he could come to power. also, how is joining the military and doing this administration's bidding "believing in world issues"? i am having trouble reconciling those two. don't get me wrong, i respect all the soldiers and what they are doing, but you really need to see through that layer of hypocrisy wallowing our foreign policy.

$180,000 a year speaking Arabic. end.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Remembrance
    unless you're gay

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Remembrance
    OH SHI-

i know arabic 1... fuuuuuuck! screw learning Chinese in college, i'm going back to arabic for a gov job... (and they always need foreign linguists...so, job security a.ok)

Tonko

Riiiiiiiiiiight. I'm so sure that keeps people out of the military. You know, because none of my gay friends are in the military "serving" their country. (or at least the lonely soldier boys)

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

it was sarcasm, but i was referring to this >.>

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/ ... 9418.shtml

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    Do you realize how much money you can make in iraq? Maybe not worth it to some, but friends I have in the military absolutely love it.
    Bingo. I know people that go there and come back, then wait and go back again. They can't get enough. They make a ton of money and like what they do. Not everyone is on the front lines shooting and shit. Camps are like cities, cities that need to be taken care of, cleaned, given water, given food. There are tons of things that go on, tons of jobs, and some people really like that. They get to see some really cool places as well - I'd love to see dubai and everyone I know over there has seen it.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

My brother is going through bootcamp right now. He was wanting to go in when he turned 18, but he was young and stupid and ran into some legal problems shortly after his 18th birthday that took about 4 years to clear up. Reason he went in is the benefits. 3.5 year commitment where his meals are provided, his schooling is paid for, will qualify for the GI Housing bill when he's done, bonus points on his competitive testing for any county or government job, as well as a chance to redeem himself in his eyes for all the fuck ups he made as a teenager and young adult. As his brother, I do worry cause of the war in Iraq, but in the end it's his decision and his alone to make in whether or not he wanted to join the military, and in the end, it's that way for anyone who chooses to go. only they can make that decision, and they all have different reasons to.

i'm sure everyone joins the military to become a translator >.>

no one mentioned the shitty VA that they get for two years before being dropped from the program

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast