+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bard equipment     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Bard equipment

So I have tried different combinations and different ideas and I can’t figure out what are the best rings for a bard?

Suggestions, idea, explanations... GO!

Re: Bard equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Charlemagne
    So I have tried different combinations and different ideas and I can’t figure out what are the best rings for a bard?

Suggestions, idea, explanations... GO!
    i generally prefer MP rings b/c i do a lot of back up curing on brd. if i'm getting knocked around a lot pulling and it's a manaburn where i don't have to cure a lot, sometimes i'll switch to HP rings.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Minstrel+whatever for general singing, CHR x2 for debuffs, troopers+whatever for curing.
    MP rings are nice to have for bcnm's and such I guess, but mine don't see much use at all.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Rings are kind of a weak spot for a BRD it seems. I tend to use Ether/Astral ring for /WHM or Angel Ring x2 or /NIN. For /WHM your MP pool is limited (especially as a Galka), so there is no reason to limit it more without MP rings of some sort. (Especially as a Galka, even with Serket and Vivian rings and you are still around the 1k-1.1k HP range.) Minstrel's Ring would be OK if you can maintain latent, but the 800k price tag (on Bahamut at least) is a bit much for something situational. Short of that, pulling as /NIN you might as well load up on CHR to lower your chances of getting resisted on sleep since nothing else will really help much.

Just my two cents.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm not too fond of Mp rings. I got 8/8 mp merits and including the af2 pants and my earrings (loq. & mag.) I have around 350+ and I rarely run out of mp. Don’t need Hp rings because im a galka and Minstrel rings, meh! I had them, and I didn’t like them... Having to keep my hp low to keep it active while pulling wasn’t fun.

Septimus basically has the full idea here. Personally I don't own a Minstrel's ring, I've never really needed one to keep up pullling in merit (As well s I don't like trying to keep the latent on anyways...I perfer not to take the risk)

/WHM I usually wear MP rings unless I'm getting resisted alot, which case I switch to CHR rings. In HNM situations (Like Fafhogg when you're also a curaga whore) I suggest the Trooper's ring, the ENM- is really nice when you just sit there casting Curaga alot.

Whenever I /WHM I always try to keep some -ENM gear on me in case I need to spam cures of some sort, I don't have Regens or Cure Vs like WHMs do to keep hate low

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

I use Tamas/Dominion for when I have to do curing, Tamas/CHR for debuffing typically.

EDIT: -enm is pretty easy to get on BRD. I really only wear Tamas, AF2 hat, and Novia if I need extra -enm. AF1+1 hands have some -enm, and I macro in AF2+1 for cures for the extra -enm from those, and that's more than enough for anything shy of 6-man Jorm or something ridiculous like that.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I use light/heavens +1. Light because I'm a taru and like having 1k hp, and even with the -mp rarely run out of mana (yea, horn may have something to do with that). I carry tamas for the -emnity, but rarely have an issue, even in long fights. I have a minstrals ring, and use it occasionally, but I hate keeping my hp that low. I mainly wear those rings because my goldsmithing mule signed them and they are pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Viq
    I use Tamas/Dominion for when I have to do curing, Tamas/CHR for debuffing typically.
    I've been trying to find a Dominion ring forever on my server; where does it come from? Initially people said ISNM but I'm guessing its a rare Divisor Ring-esque reward from an assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Allundaria
    I've been trying to find a Dominion ring forever on my server; where does it come from? Initially people said ISNM but I'm guessing its a rare Divisor Ring-esque reward from an assault.
    According to http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Dominion_Ring, it comes from the ISNM Call To Arms.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Usually use Tamas/Minstrel's. I don't bother to keep in latent HP.

If I'm in yellow hp for a minute or so, I get some songs off faster, good for me.

Otherwise I wear Bomb Queen ring. (read: if I forgot my minstrel's in my MH which I usually do)

Like it's been said before, rings are a weak slot for BRD, doesn't really matter what you use.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Astral/Ether is what I use 99% of the time, 'cause usually when I'm curing I cure 'til I'm out of MP. Gear hardly matters on this job, just use whatever you like and whatever you can afford.

The common shitbrd uses morion earrings, sword and shield. Wearing joyeuse and genbu shield doesn't make you a good bard. Wearing a haidate doesn't make you a good bard. Wearing full AF or full AF2 doesn't make you a good brd. Bard gear priority is subdivided into 3 categories(a possible forth category if you like it anal): Resist, speed, mp.

Use skill+, CHR+, and elemental staves for debuffs.

Use fast cast or song time- gear for buffs.

If you pay attention to your job, you'll figure it out.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by klvino
    The common shitbrd uses morion earrings, sword and shield. Wearing joyeuse and genbu shield doesn't make you a good bard. Wearing a haidate doesn't make you a good bard. Wearing full AF or full AF2 doesn't make you a good brd. Bard gear priority is subdivided into 3 categories(a possible forth category if you like it anal): Resist, speed, mp.

did i miss something or do you just really like to rant?

---

i use 2x Heavens most of the time. have an Ether for MP.

Quote Originally Posted by klvino

Pretty sure I've said this before, but

WAY TO ANSWER THE QUESTION THERE, GJ

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

i usually just put on whatever gear is in my inventory from the job i was on before when i change to brd. only thing i make sure i have is the +1 elegy horn haha

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xiona
    i usually just put on whatever gear is in my inventory from the job i was on before when i change to brd. only thing i make sure i have is the +1 elegy horn haha
    I think this is the correct answer.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Allundaria
    I got mine for 100k on the AH

Dang okay, it's never been listed on the AH and it seems pretty rare across most servers according to ffxiah. Maybe I'll give that ISNM a poke or two, thanks! :D

Old Merits
    BG Level

Guess it really depends on what you're doing. If I'm EXPing and /WHM or /RDM, I have minstrel's ring + serket ring. EXP with /NIN I'm usually angel ringx2 or minstrel's+angel if I'm in yellow HP. Minstrel's isn't really needed for me, but meh. More -song spellcasting time can't hurt. In my MP gear set up that I'm usually in, I use Tamas + Serket because as an Elvaan, even with 8/8 MP merits, I still need more MP. I have angel ringx2s in my debuff equip macro. And then for -enmity equip macro I have trooper's/Tamas. But maybe I'm just overdoing it. ;\