Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Hard Drives

Anyone have any experience with the Segate Barracuda 7200.10 line of hard drives?

I'll be upgrading my entire PC soon enough but thinking of getting a new hard drive in the interim as mine old one's been seeking pretty slowly.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: Hard Drives

Designing a hard drive with a window is not as easy as you may think.

I have a seagate 320gb 7200.10 16mb and i'm happy with it. it's not loud and it does it's job fast enough.

Don't buy it at a retail store though unless you want a sore ass, order it off a site like newegg or something. Can refer to the other topic on hard drives if you wanna see other good options like samsung spinpoint or the western digi raptor.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Good point Skyylya, I'll go look that thread up.

evilbau

Quote Originally Posted by Elesirdur
    Anyone have any experience with the Segate Barracuda 7200.10 line of hard drives?

I'll be upgrading my entire PC soon enough but thinking of getting a new hard drive in the interim as mine old one's been seeking pretty slowly.
    they are fine drives

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Windred Sayna
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Turalyon

I've had good experiences with WD and Seagate. Bad experiences with Maxor.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I've had good experiences with Seagate in general. It's usually the brand I buy given the choice, but WD is pretty solid as well.

I've had terrible luck with IBM/Hitachi drives, as has most of the interwebs. Not just the Deathstars either, even my old 2GB SCSI from my Powertower Pro (Mac clone for you young'uns).

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm actually on a Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10 right now, and I love it. Only thing I regret is not partitioning my HDD... I just have C:\. =\

You can re-partition it. I don't remember the name of the program, but there is a way to do it without re-installing windows.

And if you don't wanna do that, just back up pertinant files then re-install windows and partition it then.

Doesn't take to long I don't think.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Sorry for the mini-threadjack OP, but if you can give me the name of that program, that would be great. O_O

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Go there, Gparted allows you to create partitions without reformatting and re-installing.

Although, you DEFINITELY want to back up your files before doing this. While it's not a high risk to lose files, it is possible. I don't believe this program can merge partitions or anything, but it should let you create one out of the existing drive.

I've never used it as i partitioned my drives when i first installed XP, so unfortunately I can't give you any input on how to use the program but there should be guides on that site.

Also, xp should have a tool that allows you to create new partitions, but again won't let you merge them or resize them.

If you want to purchase a program you can get Partition magic, it's a good tool and does all your partitioning needs, but it's like a 40 dollar program i think.

If all else fail's you should back-up your important files before trying to create a new partition, and since you need to do that anyway there is no harm in just re-formatting after you've backed up and just doing a fresh re-install and partitioning it from the beginning, assuming you have the discs and regkey's.