Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level

FFXI in HD? (XBOX360 question)

Hiya, I've got a question for anyone who plays on Xbox with a HD TV, I was just wondering if anyone could post any pics of the gameplay, because I'm getting a HD TV in the coming weeks, and I just wanted to see what was in store!

Not sure if I posted this in the right place, but it says Screenshots!!

Thanks in advance ^-')b

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Re: FFXI in HD? (XBOX360 question)

its nothing special, its not really in HD, its just everything is slightly smoother and less choppy like on other systems, but you can probably get just as good or better looking on a PC.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Anything would be an improvement to what I use now ;;

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by xerodok
    its nothing special, its not really in HD, its just everything is slightly smoother and less choppy like on other systems, but you can probably get just as good or better looking on a PC.

if your computer is that bad, build yourself a nice new computer then buy an HDTV.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Don't camp hnms on 360, you'll rip your eyes out at the 2fps goodness.

Even on an HDTV, its not that impressive, the game still runs like garbage. PS2 runs better than 360, 360 just looks like a mid-high end pc on an HDTV.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Thing is, I don't lag at all at HNMs, only very rarely like if I am using my laptop at the same time.

I can't afford to buy a PC, I'm only buying a TV because I don't have one in the first place, so it's not just for xbox, it'll be for my PS2 and other things too.

Just wanted to know what to expect =(

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Cadence
    Thing is, I don't lag at all at HNMs, only very rarely like if I am using my laptop at the same time.

I can't afford to buy a PC, I'm only buying a TV because I don't have one in the first place, so it's not just for xbox, it'll be for my PS2 and other things too.

Just wanted to know what to expect =(
    System lag and network lag are different.

My Xbox 360 lags a ton at camps - but it's not network lag, it's system lag. Rotating the camera is like 5 FPS, moving across the Aery is like 3 FPS, etc. I still see Fafnir pop on the radar at the same time as everybody else because my network isn't lagging, but that doesn't mean I actually see him render until it's already purple.

Xbox 360 has a ton of system lag because it's graphic settings are set to a high standard for the system itself - it has trouble handling that kind of traffic in a high-density area like Dragon's Aery.

yeah, at camps xbox360 can be a killer.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I want to scream trying to play on my 360 compared to my PS2. They ported it so bad, it's sad. (Poet and didn't know it!)

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I can only echo what they are saying. I played on the 360 for awhile before I got my laptop. I tended to relog to my ps2 while camping HNMs....

I started on PS2, than after two years of that I purchased the Xbox 360 version. I lied to myself and said it was "better," but PS2 still performed a bit smoother. Purchased a PS3 and have been playing on that, obviously similar to how it ran on PS2. I play on computer now due to the incredibly handy and fun windower and screenshot availability. Honestly, I'd say buy an awesome computer and skip out on the HD TV.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

When I bought my 360 I bought FFXI with it. The next day I sat there with the game in my hand wondering why the hell I bought it seeing as I'll only ever want to play it on the PC. I went to EB to sell it, and they don't accept MMOs. =(

http://watersecretsblog.com/archives...he%20drain.jpg

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Hey it was worth the 20 points for "Relic Achievement"

ffxi won't run in true HD on 360. it's just scaled up pixels with a blur filter over everything on a 720 by ??? widescreen res.

the part i HATE the most is that you don't get as many configuration options as the pc version gets. you can't turn off shadows, foot prints weather, etc. as everyone said, the default settings leave the game running very laggy. prepare to be disappointed if you get the 360 version

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mist Monster
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I guess I'll go against the trend here and say that I love my x-box 360 + 50inch plasma setup. I do have a nice computer with ffxi on it as well so I know the difference. While you won't be claiming things as others have said. For casual play, xp'ing and so forth I have never had a problem on it. I have also fought most hnms on it and not had too many problems, other than them showing up too late to claim, that I can blame on the x-box.

I sit on a computer all day at work so doing that at home was annoying and I do think the graphics looks great, esp with the newer x-boxes (yes I have 2 x-boxes lol >.>)

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

PC > 360 > PS2 pretties wise. Others have chimed in about playability, so i'll mention something no one else has.

The surprise for the 360 is probably something most people don't run across, and it depends on what kind of TV your getting. My first HD TV was a 32". In order to get FFXI to run 'pretty' (does not look like PS2 +1) you have to set the 360 itself to run at 720p or greater. I'm not sure if they have changed it in the last year, but that means your going to be stuck in widescreen mode. So if you have a small TV, imagine your chat log in a size 4 font, with huge black bars above and below with no way to change it whatsoever.

If your set is 40" or greater then don't worry about it, just be ready for lag every time you party with a bard/mage

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I was always reading that the PC version is better if you have a good machine. That and you can also play around with the model viewer (downloaded separately) and dat altering if you're into that sort of thing.

I never liked the 360 version. The graphics aren't really any better than 1024x768, as 720p is actually less vertical lines. When I soloed sharks in sea on my black mage, there was a weird lag where spells wouldn't display until a ~half second after they actually landed, so there was this weird discontinuity and the shark would wake up before I even saw the spell land. After a few of those I went back to the PC full time.