FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Is this a real-life 'light saber?'

By Mimi Hall and Eric Moreno, USA TODAY

http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2...berx-large.jpg
    The LED Incapacitator emits a blinking light about as bright as a flashbulb. The colors and rhythm of light are absorbed by the human retina and disorient the brain, which blinds the suspect for several seconds and can also make the person stumble or feel nauseated.

The Homeland Security Department is aiming to arm federal agents with a light-saber-type weapon that emits a dazzling strobe capable of subduing criminals, terrorists and even unruly airline passengers.
    It's the latest government effort to develop a non-lethal weapon — in this case, a powerful beam of light that temporarily blinds anyone who looks into it.

"The light could be used to make a bad guy turn away or shut his eyes, giving authorities enough time to tackle the suspect and apply the cuffs, all while sparing the lives of passersby, hostages or airline passengers," according to a description of the device from the Homeland Security Department's science and technology division.

Program manager Gerald Kirwin says Homeland Security has invested $1 million for testing of the LED (light-emitting diode) Incapacitator. It is being developed by a Torrance, Calif., company, Intelligent Optical Systems, and it will be tested on volunteers at Pennsylvania State University's Institute of Non-Lethal Defense Technologies this fall.

If all goes well, the Homeland Security Department says it "could be in the hands of thousands of policemen, border agents and National Guardsmen" by 2010. Kirwin says it also would be used by air marshals, border patrol agents, other officers with the Transportation Security Administration and customs officers.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Mexico|Homeland Security Department|Homeland Security office

The device works by temporarily blinding and disorienting a person, says Bob Lieberman, president of Intelligent Optical. Once aimed at someone's eyes, a series of light pulses and colors can be triggered and the subject's eyes can't adjust quickly enough to see.

"It's like someone shooting off a flashbulb in your face every few seconds," Lieberman says. "Because of the wavelengths and frequencies we use, there are psychophysical effects — a real disorientation. The reaction can range through vertigo to nausea."

That's why The Register, an irreverent online publication that covers the information technology industry, dubbed it the "puke-ray."

What the flashlight-size device doesn't do, however, is use lasers or permanently blind people, Lieberman says. In 1995, the United States signed on to a United Nations agreement that banned blinding weapons.

"We're taking great care to make sure the intensities we're using fall within eye-safe limit," Lieberman says. "We're doing medically supervised tests."

But some immigration and human rights groups say they're still concerned, particularly with the idea that the devices might be used on illegal immigrants.

"It gives me pause, particularly in regards to Mexico. Mexico is a very important economic partner of ours," says Deborah Notkin, president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

"I would imagine that Mexico wouldn't be particularly happy with us using a device that would be more appropriate for criminals, not just for people trying to get across the border who are looking for better opportunities."

Peter Herby, head of the mines-arms unit's legal division at the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva, says he's not familiar with Homeland Security's new weapon. But he says many of the same issues are likely to crop up as with more dangerous, laser-based blinding weapons — called "dazzlers" because they blind people with intense light.

Among the issues: If the devices are mass-produced and fairly inexpensive, they're likely to be sold on the black market.

"Once they're in the hands of bad guys," Herby asks, "are the police going to have to wear protective gear to prevent them(selves) from being dazzled?"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... lick-refer

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Re: Real Life Light Saber...?

That's so fucking gay lol.

Little Mother
    BG Level

What the fuck is this shit?

As a Star Wars fan, these people should be kicked for calling that a lightsaber

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

"I would imagine that Mexico wouldn't be particularly happy with us using a device that would be more appropriate for criminals, not just for people trying to get across the border who are looking for better opportunities."
    Excuse me? People sneaking across the border are criminals.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Relic Horn
    BG Level

It's more like the sick sticks from Minority Report. I see no reason to compare it to a lightsaber.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

"Please do not close your eyes or move your head while I shine this light in your direction so I can apprehend you."

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay
    That's so fucking gay lol.
    No, this http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_159222541.html is.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Priran
    Excuse me? People sneaking across the border are criminals.
    I had the exact same thought while reading.

Don't they know its a crime to illegally enter the country? I'll never get over the public marches of illegal immigrants demanding rights, while at the same time waving flags of their home countries throughout US streets.

It certainly is a new "safe" weapon to use on people in hazardous areas.

But if it can't burn your arm off in a cantina fight, don't be calling it a lightsaber.

Puke-ray, sure.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I was expecting a hand held laser beam that cuts people in half, thread title is misleading.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Drenden

Is that a real item in the game? That seems too powerful to be real, shopped?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

it's real.. found 2 since reset; traded the other one with lower ED..

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/ ... ords.shtml

Little Mother
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Volken
    I was expecting a hand held laser beam that cuts people in half, thread title is misleading.
    Exactly, big dissapointment

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Change this thread title

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Re: Is this a real-life 'light saber?'

changed the title of the thread to match with the USA today headline.

uncompromising cuntnificence
    buh buh buh browsssssssss

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Man, personally I prefer bullets. Giving our law enforcement this shit is like replacing a club bouncer with a 10 year old girl.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivve
    Man, personally I prefer bullets. Giving our law enforcement this shit is like replacing a club bouncer with a 10 year old girl.
    http://a139.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...6211a0d392.jpg
    Actual Club Bouncer

she's a subsitute worker at my job and also a bouncer at the 400 Bar in Minneapolis. She's 5' 4" and maybe around 100lbs.

uncompromising cuntnificence
    buh buh buh browsssssssss

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivve
    http://a139.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...6211a0d392.jpg
    Actual Club Bouncer

she's a subsitute worker at my job and also a bouncer at the 400 Bar in Minneapolis. She's 5' 4" and maybe around 100lbs.
    Exactly.