+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Need help deciding what to get in a laptop

Disclaimer - I couldn't decide if this was better in this forum or in Tech Support. If it's better suited to the other, I apologize, but figured that forum was better suited for "My shit be the broked"

---

Okay, so my girlfriend is looking to get a new laptop (to say her old one is dysfunctional is an understatement), and she's been looking on dell for a new one. I was hesitantly supportive because I know they can be a ripoff outside their accidental damage plans.

She's not a heavy gamer, so she doesn't need something cutting edge. My question - Is there any sort of good deal low-end laptop, a lesser known site that makes nice ones, or is it otherwise possible to build one? Her one request was that if we consider something else, we try to find something with a good number of interchangable parts (Read: Not like HP) so if something does get the broke, we can fix it.

As always, all input is appreciated.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Re: Need help deciding what to get in a laptop

dude, get a dell.

In all seriousness, they make low cost laptops. You could always look on tiger or newegg, and see if you can get a better deal. I'm only a fan of DELL for the cost. I always reformat & put my own um..everything, on it the way I want it. Minus the OS, i usually erase everything & install what I need. So...if you don't mind taking off most of DELL's BS that comes with their PC's, I'd snag one. My only beef with their laptops is their displays, not the best of displays compared to some other monitors out there, as well as some other laptop displays.

Old Merits
    BG Level

http://www.dealcatcher.com/dell-home-coupons

All Dell jokes aside, they really are a great company with solid products. I've had my laptop from them for about 14 months now, no problems whatsoever with the hardware. Check out those coupons and see if anything interests you. Also check out costco.com for their laptops; they generally have pretty solid deals there too.

I know you didn't ask for a desktop, but this is literally the best deal I have ever seen on a computer.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... CEmail_213

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I dunno about Dell. We got a batch of 50 of their newer AMD line, D531s...so far about one in ten of them has had hardware problems out of the box.
    With the right support on 'em, sure, they can be good. A well-cared for laptop should last anyway, the one I have is 6 years old or so and still works fine (Powerbook G4).

Depends on how much you want to spend. A Macbook is decent pick, though even with the ability to run Windows you still have a one-button trackpad. If your girlfriend is just surfing the web and such, OS X would likely save you many virus/spyware removal headaches >_>

Part compatibility is going to be kinda up in the air. IMO, your best off just getting a major brand. Laptops use specialty parts, that's about all there is to it. You've got standard parts- RAM, HDD, that sort of thing. Otherwise, popular models that will be easier to find a compatible battery or drive bay module for down the line...but past that, good luck.

The majority of hardware problems I've seen with laptops are HDD, motherboard, or LCD issues (not like there's that much else in most of 'em). Frankly, if it's one of the latter, and the machine isn't under warranty, you're best off just getting a new one rather than buying parts (or getting another of the same to use for parts). For instance, we have several hundred laptops in service, mostly Dells. If I were to order a motherboard for a 4-5 year old Dell, it'd run me $700 or so. An LCD - about the same. I can buy a better machine from Dell for that much. 'course, the same model could be found on ebay for $300-350...

An extended warranty with accidental damage is a very, very good idea on anything reasonably expensive. For a really cheap laptop, the extra $150-300 might be a significant chunk of just buying a new one.

At the low end, a big thing is size/weight. Most of the $600 or so laptops out there are beasts to lug around.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Toshiba is a pretty solid brand as well. Check around your local best buy and fry's. I ended up getting my dad sold on this toshiba that was centrino dual core, 1gb memory, 15.4inch screen, 100gb hdd, and dvdrw for about 800 + tax around march or so. not a bad deal at all.

evilbau

if you are gonna get a dell, wait for a good deal like this:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/message ... did=747920

that one is dead, but deals pop up every few days

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Going cheap on a laptop is a bad long term investment, imo. You're going to give it a lot more abuse than a desktop will ever see. Invest a few dollars more off the bat (plus extend your warranty) and you'll be much happier.

Over the years I've done IT (it's in double digits) I've consistently had the least trouble with IBM or Toshiba laptops. Toshibas are what I'd go with if you're looking at more of a multimedia oriented system, both of them do excellent business focused laptops.

How much is she looking to spend? Is portability more important than a huge display? Is this going to be her primary computer or just something she totes around to take notes and get online with remotely? Better recommendations will ensue based on her answers.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

The reason I hesitate to get a laptop that costs closer to 2000 dollars is because really I'm shoehorned badly into a model, and once I get it, I'm stuck with those parts.

I may just be neurotic about ever locking down into something since C2D came out all of 1-2 months after I got a laptop with a P4 in it, then the LCD crapped out about 1 month after the warranty did and I can't afford to replace it, so this machine is on the edge of it's last legs only 2 years after buying it. If we do get a machine, though, it'll be with 3 year accidental damage coverage. My one question though, are graphics cards or processors usually interchangable?

Edit - That deal catcher site is awesome. :D

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Get a $500 dell bundle, they take awesome screenshots.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Notebookforumn.com

Thats where I got a 4000$ M1710 for 1600.

Im sure you can get a nice laptop to fit your needs for dirt cheap there.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

for dell you are paying for name get another brand example HP

if you put a dell with same specs as a HP the HP is cheap by 400 USD.
    too dell warranty is kinda good, that if you GF is kinda slopy with the laptop and lose it or something, if not get a HP with a decent warranty.

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I've had my iBook G4 for almost 5 years and its still going strong, though all I use it for is the internet now.. and probably will use it for taking notes when/if I go back to school. Desperately want to upgrade to a Macbook Pro though.

My sister got a Dell a year ago and its been running pretty well. Was like a $3000 laptop for $1200ish after all the coupons/etc.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Why are you so interested in changing the parts out? You stated that your gf just wants a standard laptop. Are you sure you're not "helping" her pick out a laptop that you secretly want so that you can end up using it 90% of the time in 3 months? I know your game.

If you really are helping out her and not yourself then just help her choose from the available upgrade choices given by your PC manufacturer of choice. You can easily configure a laptop that would satisfy 90% of all users AND you don't risk voiding the warranty because you found some omg awesome graphics card ad in a PC magazine.

If you're worried about the value of the laptop in 2 years then get an Apple. They resell very well.

If you are more concerned with cost then go with Dell or HP. They will be as cheap or cheaper than any other comparable laptop on the market. Especially this time of year since they are trying to sell to the back-to-school crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Keno
    I know you didn't ask for a desktop, but this is literally the best deal I have ever seen on a computer.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... CEmail_213

No offence but thats a pretty shitty as deal D:

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

ewwww you are paying like 250 USD on software wich will be useless and also comes with the useless vista XD.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kayu
    ewwww you are paying like 250 USD on software wich will be useless and also comes with the useless vista XD.
    and not that shitty unsless you know how to build one wich is recomended.

My computer i just bought seems much better, for a good amount cheaper.

Inspiron 530,Intel Core2 Duo processor E6550 (2.33GHz 1333FSB) w/Dual Core Technology and 4MB cache

2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

Dell 19 inch E198WFP Flat Panel Analog and Digital (Screen got a little fucked up, should be 20 in'

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT- DDR3

320GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive (7200RPM)

For 750 dollars.
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English

And how have ya been kayu?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Even though Toshiba is my recommended laptop (better components), DELL and HP are a better bargain simply for the extended warranty services you can purchase. You can keep the laptop under warranty for 3-5 years and not have to worry about it.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphise

Inspiron 530,Intel Core2 Duo processor E6550 (2.33GHz 1333FSB) w/Dual Core Technology and 4MB cache

2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

Dell 19 inch E198WFP Flat Panel Analog and Digital (Screen got a little fucked up, should be 20 in'

For 750 dollars.

bored and my new laptop ish goodddddddd
    btw what brand is the motherboard, ram and HD
    i could cut prices on that :X

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphise

2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz

For 750 dollars.

bored and my new laptop ish goodddddddd
    btw what brand is the motherboard, ram and HD
    i could cut prices on that :X
    mmm bought it from dell, And i know, if i would have built mine i could have done better, but i didn't have cash on hand, and dell has better payment options.
    My old computer fried, and i needed one for when school starts next week lol.

How bad is vista for FFXI?