+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lagging Issue with FFXI.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Lagging Issue with FFXI.

So.. I admit I have a shitty PC and a shitty Video Card but I still like them.

Currently using:
    1gig ram (2x 512)
    nvidia 6200 256mb(i know its a pos...)
    p4 3ghz
    dx9.0c

This card sucks and my setup sucks but it still worked fine when I played WoW. If I leave everything on default settings I can get a constant 30+ FPS except for raids. During that time I would update my drivers for my card (naturally... who wouldn't?)

I re-installed FFXI again (Third time is the charm I think) and now with this card and the most recent ForceWare release I am getting an interesting issue. No matter what screen res/background res I set the game at I get a constant 29FPS (cap iirc?) throughout the game. But if there is more than me and 2 other PC/NPC's/Objects Rendered on the displayed portion of the screen (IE Stuff right behind doesn't count... so not the stuff loaded into memory; just the objects that are displayed on the viewable portion of the screen) my FPS imediately drops down to 4-7FPS. Why? I have no idea.. I've tried the recommended ForceWare that POL Suggests that I use and then tried the 90.xx Version and then the most recent version. All produce the same issue. Once I get back down to me and only 2 other objects it shoops right back up to 29FPS... Looking for ideas/different drivers to try/pretty much anything. It's killing me playing like this and I had less problems with the super POS integrated chip I have on my PC and I know I can get better from a card than you can from integrated.
    Halp.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Haomarush

Re: Lagging Issue with FFXI.

i had exact same problem, i worked on it for 2 months throughout this forum. I upgraded to a 3GHz P4 and that's when my problems started. So i got a new processor, up'd to a C2D 1.8ghz still had problem. Finally after 2months i bought a new video card. (Assuming yours is a PCI geforce 6200 256mb card) I went from a geforce 5500 FX pci card to a ATI Radeon x1650 pro !!!PCI-E!!!! Graphics look w00t now, i run at highest settings with shadows i have 29fps everywhere like i used to and it fixed the same problem your having. My suggestion (since i went through this personally and only got it on wednesday) is to go out and buy a PCI-E card. That is the ONLY thing that fixed it for me. I tried everything for 2months, and that's what finally fixed it. There's nothing else you can do, you could try everything everyone says to try but it won't work. Happened with me.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

One problem: judging by his processor, he does NOT have PCI-express on his motherboard. Install the latest forceware drivers *twice*. Fixed the lag for me (Same graphics card, same processor, yadda yadda)

The one problem with getting a 1650 AGP card... you have to verify your motherboard supports the .8 voltage standard for an AGP card (AGP 3.0) If you don't, read my thread where I asked for help. You'll go through the same ordeal.

EDIT: I also had to set the background resolution in the registry to 1.5x instead of 2x my running resolution, and loading Drawdistance1.2 and setting it to 3 keeps the frame rate up as well o.O

EDIT AGAIN: Oh yeah, I play bard 85% of the time, black mage 5%... no Firaga/Ballad issues

Yea I don't have PCI-e on my board right now.
    I'll try the ForceWare Install 2 times.

I'll probably end up buying a new PC in January but thats still a few months out.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Haomarush

well even without a pci-e im sure an AGP would do the same. PCI is really a piece of crap nowadays.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Some of the older Pentium 4HT processor motherboards don't have true AGP 3.0 compliance. What that means is that the AGP slot can go UP to the 8x speed, however does not have the ability to supply the lower voltage required by more recent cards. The Radeon 1500 and 1600 series gpus do not function in an AGP 2.0 slot. So, the best you can get for such a system is an older X series ATI, the 6200 Geforce, or the Radeon X1050 (budget crap :< )

I have an older ATI Card that I just need to find and plug in. I'll stick with that untill Jan when I can get a new PC from my work.