FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Re: "Minor" details you picked up replaying a RPG.

I never caught on that Laguna was Squalls father either..haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayttt
    Thinking about it, it's obvious. But I'll admit I never caught on when I played...or I never cared.

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Yea, now that I think about it i /facepalm. Thanks to this thread I really wish I never sold my copy for the ps1, I hope the FF8 for PC isnt too glitchy =X

I hope the FF8 for PC isnt too glitchy =X
    I hear it's one of the worst ports ever, actually Though not as bad as FF7.

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Damn..I was playing the demo and it didnt look too bad..seemed playable at least. Guess i better go look for some tweaks or patches before its done dowloading the whole game =/

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Ellone = "sis"
    Raine died after giving birth to someone not too long after Laguna left.
    1+1=2
    There was more hints through the game, but the two I posted above made it painfully obvious.

FF8 did have a few annoying gameplays issue compared to ff7, but I seriously think many people didn't give the story a proper chance. Graphic were good back then, music was awesome, there was a ton of funny scenes and story still had some deep awesome moment. I don't really care if people prefer FF7, 9 or 12 over it, but people who thinks it's the worse rpg ever made are pushing it.

One of the other biggest story issue imo was the lack of backstory. The lunar cry, the first sorcerer, the Lunatic pandora were all pretty, but they were never explained in the game directly. Would be nice if someone at one point had explained the mystery behind the world creation like they did in every other FF. Many sidequests had small details that seemed to hint at something, but I'm never certain if they were suposed to mean anything. For example, the annoyingly long "monkey subquest" ended like this
    Code:
    "Back in the day, south of here, there used to be a small but beautiful village surrounded by deep forests. Everyone lived a happy life there". 

In Centra, there should be a forest with a round grassy clearing in    middle of it. Inspect it, and Squall will mention that there's a lot    of rubble around. Now, the best part of this side quest...   THERE'S NOTHING HERE!!!
    That said,if the whole FF3/FF8 connection is true, it does add a lot of backstory to the game, or at least, enough to satisfy me.

Since the thread is partially about FF8 now >_>, anyone remember why Edea knew she was going to become a sorceress? Is it because Squall warned her in the ending when he went back in time, or is it something else I can't remember?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I remember parts of the backstory are explained in a glossary type thing (a little like SO3) in one of the menus. It talks about Hyne and stuff like how sorceress powers work, and where Cetra continent came from. Maybe they were trying to keep it simple for the people who just wanted a love story while still letting people who wanted to know what was actually going on find out for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Ellone = "sis"
    I thought he just called her "sis" because she was close to him, not that they were actually related.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    I remember parts of the backstory are explained in a glossary type thing (a little like SO3) in one of the menus. It talks about Hyne and stuff like how sorceress powers work, and where Cetra continent came from. Maybe they were trying to keep it simple for the people who just wanted a love story while still letting people who wanted to know what was actually going on find out for themselves.
    Yeah, they had some nice stuff in the database thing, but there was still a lot of mystery left. They should have made it more obvious like the one in XS and SO, didnt notice it on my first time through the game

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    I thought he just called her "sis" because she was close to him, not that they were actually related.
    That's what they make you think at first, but it can hardly be a coincidence when you look back at the sequences of event.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I had a hunch throughout the game that Laguna was Squall's father. I guess not many people went through and explored at the end of the game >_> When you talk to Laguna and crew on the Ragnarok, they tell you that he is Squall's father.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ellone is NOT Laguna's daughter... just wanted to clarify it.

And it's pretty obvious Squall is Laguna's son... it's painfully obvious actually.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Avé
    I had a hunch throughout the game that Laguna was Squall's father. I guess not many people went through and explored at the end of the game >_> When you talk to Laguna and crew on the Ragnarok, they tell you that he is Squall's father.
    They do? I actually don't remember that, and I'm pretty sure I talked to him many time (especially since he got a rare card), but its been so long since I played the game, probably forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Ellone is NOT Laguna's daughter... just wanted to clarify it.And it's pretty obvious Squall is Laguna's son... it's painfully obvious actually.
    Not sure if it was directed at me, but it's obvious she isn't laguna's daughter. She was 10 already when he met Raine. >_>

Btw, is Laguna proposing her in the ending? I always found that sorta disturbing if that's what he did.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura
    Ellone = "sis"
    Just reiterating on this, but it's obvious she's not. That's what I meant.

As for Squall/Laguna, when they land with the Ragnarock and Laguna's crew comes in, Laguna leaves the room and then kiros tells Squall that Ward thinks he looks very similar to his father, or something along those lines.... i'm actually in the moon part of CD3 right now, so i'll tell you exactly what he says later on today when I get there.

And yeah Laguna proposes in the end... but since it seems to be a flashback, I don't know if he wishes he had done it, or whether he was simply reminded of it while standing next to her grave.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

It's pretty common to call a young woman various forms of the words for "sister" in japanese. Likewise with brother (It isn't supposed to sound quite so retarded whenever anyone mentions the character in FFX/X-2. I just imagine they're pronouncing it aniki instead).

EAST BAY JEDI DONT GIVE A FUCK
    BG Level

the ship stuff was always my fav part in the game from what i remember. I guess i need to get the game and play again damn you guys lol.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

And yeah Laguna proposes in the end... but since it seems to be a flashback, I don't know if he wishes he had done it, or whether he was simply reminded of it while standing next to her grave.
    He gave the ring to Ellone (blue dress) in the end, not Raine (white shirt) if I remember correctly. I barely remember that scene tho, so I might be wrong.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

He gave the ring to Ellone (blue dress) in the end, not Raine (white shirt) if I remember correctly. I barely remember that scene tho, so I might be wrong.
    Laguna was in his blue jacket(or maybe he was even in his Galbadian uniform..), giving it to Raine in the white shirt... Ellone wasn't in that scene.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

You're right, just checked on youtube (dont know why I didnt go check there first). I remembered the scene incorectly for some reason.

another bit of maybe obvious info, but Rinoa was the daughter of the pianist who Laguna first fell in love with ;x and the ending scene music is the song the pianist wrote after laguna left

ahh the fates do twist well

also, it is Raine he gives the ring to, not ellone. it's just in a flashback

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The song "Eyes on Me" is the song that Julia wrote based on Laguna. (it plays throughout the entire game though, not just in the end, although in the ending there are actual words..).. when you go up to her room in one of the "dream world" scenes, she keeps telling him how his eyes are telling a story, and she thinks she can put that story into words now and start composing songs.

Laguna then goes off to war and disappears (same war where Ward loses his voice, the one in Lunatic Pandora), while Julia marries General Caraway (who we know is Rinoa's father from the storytelling) and has Rinoa.

It seems like Laguna gets Raine pregnant but doesn't know about it, and then he goes off with Kiros and Ward once again (they never really explain the reasons behind his departure from that village in the beginning of CD2... Winhill is the name I believe.)