+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Schwarzenegger Offered One Billion Dollars... from marijuana

Not too old but I haven't seen this on here yet and I just found out about this from a friend. I'd be really interested in seeing how this story unfolds seeing how Schwarzenegger didn't immediately say no and turn the offer down right away.

http://liberalcandy.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... llion.html

Tuesday, August 07, 2007
    Schwarzenegger Offered One Billion Dollars

Currently, the state of California has a budget crisis. To try and balance the budget out, legislators are bickering over which social services should be cut. This isn't fair. It isn't even right. People need those social services. There is a hero in this story, however. Well, heroes is more like it. Many, many heroes! They call themselves Let Us Pay Taxes.

The Let Us Pay Taxes group has offered Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger one billion dollars to be put toward the budget crisis. The thing is; this money will be coming from a coalition of California marijuana growers and dealers. Whats the Terminator to do? Terminate the crisis with taxes that taxpayers would actually be willing to pay!

David Guard of StopTheDrugWar.org writes that regulation and taxation of marijuana could produce up to six billion dollars in additional tax revenue, according to economic studies linked from their web site LetUsPayTaxes.com. In addition, it could save up to ten billion dollars in enforcement costs. “That is a conservative estimate,” said Schaffer, spokesman for Let Us Pay Taxes. “By other estimates, the revenues could be five times that. The economists are with us all the way on this one. Marijuana prohibition is an economic disaster.”

So, what's the problem? The problem began with Reefer Madness and marijuana tax stamps in the earlier part of last century. The Drug Czar John Walters continually states that money from marijuana transaction goes into the hands of terrorists and criminals. Is this guy for real? Of course it is! I mean, in terms of anyone who touches marijuana is a criminal! (ok, that may have been a small exaggeration). But, the prohibition Walters is supporting creates the monetary flow from good, hard working citizens who just want to relax, or escape disease-related pain to black market criminals who, in a lot of cases, will do anything to make a buck.

I believe this is where the belief that marijuana is a gateway drug comes from. I mean, where marijuana is outlawed, good people must look toward the streets for relief, because they know that marijuana is not bad. But, a lot of these street dealers are only capitalizing on these people, and introducing them to their other 'wares', so they make more money!

I truly think that if people were able to grow their own cannabis, or buy it from regulated dealers, they would be extremely happy! And, the possibility of the marijuana being 'laced' with other potentially hazardous substances, such as cocaine, would be slim to none. AND the country would have much more coming in from taxes to be applied to other things. Well, maybe we should wait until after Bush is out of office, then it would go toward causes for the people, of the people, and by the people.

Let Us Pay Taxes calls upon all US citizens to sign their petition at their web site LetUsPayTaxes.com and press the issue with their lawmakers. “Take the money, please,” said Schaffer. “These people want to contribute. Now it is up to our politicians to tell us why they want to send those billions to foreign criminal gangs rather than to their own voters."
    Come on California! Pave the way for the rest of us!

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Re: Schwarzenegger Offered One Billion Dollars... from marijuana

Just try to keep this in mind during the forthcoming drug debate. It works there, therefore it might just work here too.

Also,
    <- Californian.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well, its not as if the marijuana growers who offered him the check for $1 billion stipulated that marijuana must be legalized to cash the check.

He could still accept the money, and just not legalize marijuana. It seems implied they wanted it legalized, but nowhere do they say they explicitly asked for it in exchange for the money.

Although, if marijuana was legalized, he'd not only have the $1 billion, but also all the tax revenue generated by it.

So I guess its either $1 billion and don't legalize, or $1 billion + tax revenue and legalize.

Or instead of worry about legalizing and taxing marijuana, we could just pass the FairTax Bill. (http://www.FairTax.org)

If the government took money from consumer goods instead of income taxes then all the people selling marijuana would pay their taxes when they buy stuff whether the marijuana is taxed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by simozene
    Or instead of worry about legalizing and taxing marijuana, we could just pass the FairTax Bill. (http://www.FairTax.org)

If the government took money from consumer goods instead of income taxes then all the people selling marijuana would pay their taxes when they buy stuff whether the marijuana is taxed or not.

Ya, because cutting the spending power of the average person on everything they buy will just rock the economy back into shape . I sometimes wonder if people understand basic math, let alone complex economic theory.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Oh man its sooooo good to see someone else is familiar with the FairTax Bill. I honestly don't think we'll ever see it passed though

Quote Originally Posted by SwampdonkeyPLD

Oh man its sooooo good to see someone else is familiar with the FairTax Bill. I honestly don't think we'll ever see it passed though
    Because the only thing fair about it is its name?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Wasn't this announced last week?

evilbau

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra

You are so right. Sales taxes as the primary method for revenue is pretty regressive. Those with lower income spend a proportionally higher amount of their incomes. Even with the proposed tax credit to those groups, they are also less likely to be savvy enough to maximize their tax credits.

And that tax isn't going to hit the people who supply the drugs, unless they happen to live and spend their money in the US. Hardly a comprehensive solution.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Tuesday August 7, like it says at the top of the article.

So fair tax = flat tax? Cause that's the closest thing I've heard of to what you're describing.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I always thought the problem with a tax on consumer goods was that upper class people don't buy as much consumer goods as lower/middle class people, thus rich get richer and poor get poorer. Hello, trickle-down economics.

Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Fryte
    I always thought the problem with a tax on consumer goods was that upper class people don't buy as much consumer goods as lower/middle class people, thus rich get richer and poor get poorer. Hello, trickle-down economics.

Fail.

Ya, the "fair tax" plan breaks down upon examination for the fraud it is. Its quite possibly the worst economic proposal ive heard in a long time.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by evilbau

You are so right. Sales taxes as the primary method for revenue is pretty regressive. Those with lower income spend a proportionally higher amount of their incomes. Even with the proposed tax credit to those groups, they are also less likely to be savvy enough to maximize their tax credits.

And that tax isn't going to hit the people who supply the drugs, unless they happen to live and spend their money in the US. Hardly a comprehensive solution.
    The reason they spend a proportionally higher amount seems like common sense to me. Rich and poor people alike need the same amount of money to get by, the difference is poor people spend their money from a much smaller pool of money, so OF COURSE they spend a higher proportion of their incomes. They don't have as much room to save.

If they aren't likely to be savvy enough to maximize their tax credits so what? What does that have to do with the Fairtax being less viable?

evilbau

The reason they spend a proportionally higher amount seems like common sense to me. Rich and poor people alike need the same amount of money to get by, the difference is poor people spend their money from a much smaller pool of money, so OF COURSE they spend a higher proportion of their incomes. They don't have as much room to save.

If they aren't likely to be savvy enough to maximize their tax credits so what? What does that have to do with the Fairtax being less viable?
    i understand the reason, i just didn't explain it which you did nicely. the whole point of the tax credit is to make it less regressive. the group which is least tax savvy. you are effectively taxing the poor and ignorant.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

No, your taxing everyone. The poor people along with the rich get a PRE-BATE on the necessities of life. Food, clothing, etc. Therefore your helping the poor.

The rich will be taxed more because they spend more. I.e. yachts, beamers, houses, etc.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

The premise of a progressive tax code (that's the opposite of regressive, and it's what we use now theoretically) is that everyone has to make the same level of sacrifice. Because 1% of a person's income means more to them if the have a lower income, and less if they have a higher income, the person with higher income is taxed at a higher percentage. This theoretically results in both people making a roughly equal sacrifice for the sake of the nation. Now, under a flat tax, which would charge everyone the same percentage, the people with less money would end up making a greater sacrifice. This is a Bad_Thing in several ways to a lot of people, and what's more, it would most likely end up making the rich richer and the non-rich less rich.

Unless I'm misreading something and "fair tax" isn't reallly just a new label they slapped on because "flat tax" was never popular at all.

tl:dr - the rich spend more $s, but the non-rich spend more %s. Therefore, universal sales tax would be regressive.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I could be wrong but I think people are misunderstanding the Fairtax. It is a consumption tax, a flat tax on the sale of all new goods and services. It is NOT an income tax.

evilbau

I could be wrong but I think people are misunderstanding the Fairtax. It is a consumption tax, a flat tax on the sale of all new goods and services. It is NOT an income tax.
    i know exactly what you are talking about. its a sales tax. it really is a regressive tax. it may appeal to YOUR sense of 'fairness' but it really isn't.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

i know exactly what you are talking about. its a sales tax. it really is a regressive tax. it may appeal to YOUR sense of 'fairness' but it really isn't.
    I'm not going to argue fairness, there will always be detractors, but how much better the Fairtax is better than what we have now, that to me is undeniable.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Well, its not as if the marijuana growers who offered him the check for $1 billion stipulated that marijuana must be legalized to cash the check.

He could still accept the money, and just not legalize marijuana. It seems implied they wanted it legalized, but nowhere do they say they explicitly asked for it in exchange for the money.

Although, if marijuana was legalized, he'd not only have the $1 billion, but also all the tax revenue generated by it.

So I guess its either $1 billion and don't legalize, or $1 billion + tax revenue and legalize.

They're not sitting there with a billion dollars cash going "lol hay here's a billion bucks legalize weeeed!"

The billions of dollars they're referring to *ARE* the taxes on legalized weed.

Like alcohol and tobacco.