+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nvidia 8600GT ffxi problems

I just got this computer yesterday with this card, and every 2-3 seconds while playing ffxi i hit a lag spike, this happens not only in areas like whitegate, but in moghouse, while typing, or at an empty khimaira camp. Any way to fix it?

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Re: Nvidia 8600GT ffxi problems

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphise
    I just got this computer yesterday with this card, and every 2-3 seconds while playing ffxi i hit a lag spike, this happens not only in areas like whitegate, but in moghouse, while typing, or at an empty khimaira camp. Any way to fix it?
    Nvidia cards and FFXI aren't best friends, I know all too well.

Quote Originally Posted by thestalkmore
    Nvidia cards and FFXI aren't best friends, I know all too well.
    Know all to well how to fix it?

What OS are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcross
    What OS are you using?
    I'm going to guess he's using Vista.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Vertabreaker
    What OS are you using?
    I'm going to guess he's using Vista.
    me too, especially since he got his pc yesterday, or 2 days ago whenver this was posted... and its vista's problem, upgrade to XP... problem solved

vista 32 bit, and going to xp is out of the question D:

vista 32 bit, and going to xp is out of the question D:
    I have the same problem on my new PC. Only solution right now is to upgrade to XP. I've heard that the problem might be fixed when WotG comes out.

Anyone know of any guides on how to set up XP to dual boot on a computer with preinstalled Vista?

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

there's a guide, im at work so i cant look it up atm, check back this thread later after 2am EST or so and ill update it if no one else has yet

Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I have this card and windows vista. I don't have any problems with it at all, it's actually better than the 7600GT I was using (before I returned it) and bought the 8600GT for practically the same price. What kind of system are you running?

Vista 32 bit Home Premium

I have a 8800 GTX with a C2D Q6600 running @ 300Ghz. FFXI runs like poo on it with Vista (x64). Whitegate = barely playable. Outside of whitegate, it runs only OK with FPS going as low as 9-10 intermittantly. If there like 4-5 people on my screen, it also drops down to barely playable levels. With Windows XP, FFXI runs perfectly, it barely goes under 25 fps with all settings to the max.

I think the problem is a combination of Vista, Nvidia 8xxx series cards/drivers, and the fact that FFXI is an old, poorly coded DX8 game. Basically the only solution to getting FFXI working 100% as of now, is to dual boot XP.

I have a 8800 GTX with a C2D Q6600 running @ 300Ghz. FFXI runs like poo on it with Vista (x64). Whitegate = barely playable. Outside of whitegate, it runs only OK with FPS going as low as 9-10 intermittantly. If there like 4-5 people on my screen, it also drops down to barely playable levels. With Windows XP, FFXI runs perfectly, it barely goes under 25 fps with all settings to the max.

I think the problem is a combination of Vista, Nvidia 8xxx series cards/drivers, and the fact that FFXI is an old, poorly coded DX8 game. Basically the only solution to getting FFXI working 100% as of now, is to dual boot XP.
    It's pretty much just vista, why people get it is beyond me. What's so great about it? It's got loads of problems and there's nothing wrong with xp.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

I started off my new PC with Vista and the same video card you have.

What did I do?

I went out and bought Windows XP and installed it what happened?

What happened?

The game became the most beautiful, smooth, and crisp it has ever been, especially when you do your own registry tweaks.

Most Vista drivers for Nvidia are still in beta, and to be honest they aren't going to be fixed any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya

It's pretty much just vista, why people get it is beyond me. What's so great about it? It's got loads of problems and there's nothing wrong with xp.
    I'm pretty sure its the Vista + Nvidia combination in specific. I've seen one person manage to get FFXI working properly with a 8800GTS and Vista x64 (posted a 23+ fps screens-hot at the whitegate auction house with people loaded). I've tried several different drivers on x32 to no avail. Until there's a solution to the 8800+FFXI+Vista fps issue I've been using my ATI x1800 (which will die anytime now since I keep seeing more and more graphical artifacts). My ATI card in Vista gets 25+FPS at the whitegate auction house and capped fps anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan

What did I do?

What happened?

The game became the most beautiful, smooth, and crisp it has ever been, especially when you do your own registry tweaks.

Most Vista drivers for Nvidia are still in beta, and to be honest they aren't going to be fixed any time soon.
    I would do this but it would just be a massive hassle and i really am enjoying vista. Its really nice for what I do. That dual xp and vista may be nice, but its not like FFXI is like FFXI was before, its only a hour or two of play nowadays.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan

What did I do?

What happened?

I would do this but it would just be a massive hassle and i really am enjoying vista. Its really nice for what I do. That dual xp and vista may be nice, but its not like FFXI is like FFXI was before, its only a hour or two of play nowadays.
    depends on the person

There isn't really anyway to fix it then. You can try constantly checking for updated drivers and when they actually do release updated drivers, hope they fix your problem. It's highly unlikely though.

Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Ok new dilema, I switched to an Intel system.

Windows Vista Basic
    nVidia nForce4 Motherboard
    nVidia Geforce 8600GT Graphics card
    AMD Athlon 5000+ Dual Core 2.6
    Seagate 7200RPM HD 160GB
    2GB PC6400 Patriot Memory Dual Channel

Game could run in Dynamis at full settings no lag. I even played it at 2048x2048 in Dynamis without getting lag the card did get kinda hot though.

Windows Vista Basic
    Foxconn/Intel Socket LGA775 G33 Motherboard
    nVidia Geforce 8600GT Graphics card
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13Ghz
    Seagate 7200RPM HD 160GB
    2GB PC6400 Patriot Memory Dual Channel

Game lags when other characters are around.... Dynamis lags even at 512x512 settings.

Prey ran at full settings with no lag at all.

I have seen some people say that they have experienced the same problems when they are using Windows Vista on their Intel Machines with FFXI. I have spoke to others and they said the game runs much better on XP with that similar card still using the Intel processor.

Could it be Vista is better with AMD processors or is it the motherboard/card combo on the AMD system?

I would really like to find out before I go out and buy a copy of Windows XP and find out that's not what the problem is.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

could be that intel sucks for gaming as i've said in the past?

that and ALL things with anything foxconn on it need to be shot and killed. HP products suck, burn them with fire