BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Boss difficulty

Our group started Salvage when it came out but it stalled fast. We restarted a few weeks ago and it's going well now and more people are interested. In terms of difficulty, if we want to take on a Boss, which should we start with?

I'm looking for an easiest to hardest rating. I appreciate that some of it is down to job balance but tonight we look to have a good set up for a Boss run and I'd like to give it a shot. Usually we just target certain NMs etc but we should take the plunge.

Please feel free to point me at another thread if I've been an idiot...

Re: Boss difficulty

just scroll down little more event strat page and you have a thread for each salvage zone. op gives recap of whole zone and rest of posts are from some of the best people in salvage.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20452

Same page, a few threads down.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Yes I read that and it didn't answer my question. I also have watched this board for a while. I just really haven't got a feel for what's a good boss to start with.

[Edit] I know LBC isn't the best to start with... we're going to have to plunge in somewhere and I just wanted opinions really.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20673

That thread actually has a bit of boss difficulty discussion. You're going to get some different answers, and the answer from people will vary depending upon group size. 6 man groups aren't as reliant upon cells are they are upon just climbing and having a lot of time for the boss. ~12 man groups need to do a lot more cell farming, and will kill faster as they get geared up, but might have more issues with time and will need to kill the boss quickly depending on the zone.

Just with my group's track record: Zhayolm > Silver Seas > Bhaflau > Arrapago. We usually have around 12 people. I'm not sure if we've done any Silver Seas boss runs since they've added the start chest though haha.

It's difficult to say which is easiest because their difficulty for a starting group is inextricably linked to the difficulty of getting to them with sufficient time and cells. For example, for our group which has killed each boss over a half-dozen times, and returns to them on pretty much a weekly basis, I would say the difficulty from easiest to hardest is Zhayolm > Arrapago > Bhaflau = Silver Seas. But starting out, and winning our first time, probably Bhaflau > Silver Seas > Arrapago > Zhayolm from easiest to hardest. That was all pre-patch though (well, Arrapago we got to 1% and timed out pre-patch, but close enough for these purposes lol), so it'd be different if we were starting now, and probably varies from group to group anyway.

I would suggest, since you say you have some experience farming 35s in a few zones, go to the one you have the most experience in. Using your knowledge from 35 farming for what you need to do to get cells, budget yourself enough time to get to the boss with 25-30 min left. That should be ample time for your group to kill, if you're going to kill it at all. Then just use the information in the specific thread for the zone you are going to for how to approach the boss himself.

I recommend starting with the Zhayolm boss. The zone is very static as far as drops go, so there isn't a huge luck factor which means that you can easily see your group getting better as you reach the top faster.

The boss is also the easiest of the 4 in my opinion. Every other boss has Bad Things which can derail an unprepared group extremely fast...done properly, the Zhayolm boss has almost zero chance of actually killing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    I recommend starting with the Zhayolm boss. The zone is very static as far as drops go, so there isn't a huge luck factor which means that you can easily see your group getting better as you reach the top faster.

The boss is also the easiest of the 4 in my opinion. Every other boss has Bad Things which can derail an unprepared group extremely fast...done properly, the Zhayolm boss has almost zero chance of actually killing someone.
    The only reason I wouldn't recommend Zhayolm is because even though the cells are fairly static, you won't get them very quickly without experience in the zone (which they probably don't have, because new groups who "target a few NMs" don't typically do experimental Madame runs). Compound that with having to clear the entire 6th floor, and I foresee them timing out fighting 6th floor chariot, rather than killing boss.

Otherwise I completely agree, which is why I list it as easiest for experienced groups. I just think if they've done a half-dozen runs doing Arrapago NMs for instance, Armored Chariot would probably be a better suggestion, or whatever their 35 zone of choice has been.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

can you post a quick summary of the fight? the zhayolm thread is retardedly long and it's difficult to dig the gold out of that thread

1st floor -> farm necessary cells for each job, port in the northeast
    2nd floor -> clear northeast room, clear enough mobs from the other 3 to get necessary cells
    3rd floor -> kill south mamools until everyone except 3 has HP, and all mages have MP
    4th floor -> kill mamools for 3 of each stat + 3 HP. kill the rampart that corresponds to the day you entered the salvage. fire/earth->1, wind/water->2 ice/thunder->3, light/dark->4.
    5th floor -> train to the porter and go up
    6th floor -> have a sacrificial lamb aggro chariot and die. kill everything on the floor
    7th floor -> boss

Have your 2 tanks stand in the same place. Every else stand 8-9' from the tanks, but over 10' from the boss, and not directly in front. Everyone keep stoneskin/shell4-5 up. When the chariot uses discoid, tanks unlock and turn around until mage group gets fresh stoneskin up.

carby pull the chariot and nobody has to die, usually giving you extra firepower to take out the gears / chariot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory
    carby pull the chariot and nobody has to die, usually giving you extra firepower to take out the gears / chariot faster.
    Fuck up the carby pull and you kill the whole ally. Sacrifice a mans and you will never have the chance to fuck it up.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Well thanks for this guys, we did go with Zhayolm but peeps weren't taking the time constraints seriously and we ran out of time. I think though they got the message and we should do it next time. Prolly back to Silver Seas for a run then back to Zhayolm Boss.

In comparison to LAC and LBC, how is the defense of BCC and AC?
    LAC really squishy, just wondering how other bosses compare to LBC and LAC, because I assume LBC has the highest defense, while LAC the lowest of any boss chariot.

Armored Chariot seems the most resistant to magic damage of all of them. Unless we are lucky enough on cells to where I have some decent gear (read: very rarely lol) I don't even bother trying to damage much anymore as BLM and just support cure/stun. Battleclad Chariot I remember someone posting here that melee damage is lessened? I typically filter others damage and neither of the MNKs we go with are on right now to ask. Even if it is less it doesn't really prove to be a hindrance, that fight is still pretty fast even with only MNK for damage.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Lol i think My grandmother has Higher defense than the LAC =) killed LAc in 12 minutes and some ppl were naked ( or well just me lol ) his defense is really too weak

Everyone should be naked for Battle Clad, other than your two tanks and extra gear you obtain clearing the room you warp up into. Gear your tanks in full, anyone else wearing gear should only have it because extra dropped while you were still gearing your tanks. Your mages do not need gear to get their job done vs. Battle Clad. At most, I'll give the Bard and BLM a weapon, SJ to any mage who gets SS through /WHM and you'll usually get extra body cells while farming for your tanks. What makes it really easy, is to go over things before the run and figure out exactly how many rooms of each wing you have to farm into on the first floor. Just do not pull something retarded like we did one run, and forget to farm a ranged cell for the Bard...

Basically, the only way you can lose this zone is if you're over-gearing or over-farming, as long as you know how to handle Discoid (which has already been described).

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory
    Fuck up the carby pull and you kill the whole ally. Sacrifice a mans and you will never have the chance to fuck it up.
    It seem to only aggro to Magic, and it pop Gears only if you claim it. So just cast something on yourself to aggro it then run to a safe place and delog, or pull it back to camp.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

A nerfed LBC is pretty frigging easy...

i'd say try LBC first.

1. Its drop are the easiest equip to complete out of all the salvage gear.

2. It's probably the only boss you can fight with your members are mostly gear up.

3. If you can handle LBC, you won't be having too many problems of the other bosses. On the other hand, even you can handle the bosses in the other zone, you would probably fail on LBC for a few times before you can beat it.