Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HQ1, HQ2, HQ3...     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

HQ1, HQ2, HQ3...

Is there any information out there on what determines a HQ1 vs a HQ2/3?

Last night my goldsmithing mule cut colored rocks.

Her level: 88 +3
    Synth level: 20
    Moon: 0% New

95 synths, and she did not get one single HQ3. The vast majority of the HQs were HQ1, with a handful of HQ2s thrown in.

Is it just total random chance? How much above cap (so a level 100 would get more HQ3s on a level 20 synth than a level 95 crafter would)? Something else?

my understanding (Keep in mind its just from my own observations, never read anything about it) is that HQ1 HQ2 HQ3 fall under the same % of a tier. So say the synth is tier 3 to you (50% HQ rate) the HQ3 would then be 10% of the 50% HQs you get. If that makes any sense.

Re: HQ1, HQ2, HQ3...

Seems to be about 12:3:1 hq1/2/3, regardless of teir

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Those rocks suck. At 100 im lucky to HQ3 1-2 out of a batch of 36. People in my ls with gold sub seem to get HQ3 more than I do

Dice and rum

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kilik
    Those rocks suck. At 100 im lucky to HQ3 1-2 out of a batch of 36. People in my ls with gold sub seem to get HQ3 more than I do
    That's another part of this, though I had no "proof" so I didn't want to include it in my post. I swear, I got more HQ3s when at a lower level. The higher I get, the fewer HQ3s I seem to get...

There was another situation like that: Desynthing leather belts (belts? it's been years) for iron ingots. A bunch of us used to stand around in the shop and desynth them for hours. I was in the high 90s at the time, the others were just barely over cap. They kicked my ass on results, day in, day out. It really, really felt like being higher level was hurting on that synth. (Though yeah, desynthing is odd.)

Anyway, this was my second big run of cutting colored rocks (the last was 10 or so levels ago), so i'm going to give up on it. I spent about 230K on the rocks, and I could have bought a bunch of HQ3s at the AH for that money...

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I spent hours and hours cutting colored rocks when I had my gold in the 80's so I could get the HQ3's for the platinum Ring stage in the 90's. At that time it actually was a huge profit for me because things like peridots and garnets sold for 15-20k per stack and painites were 90-100k. Now though, it's still a profit, albeit very very small. Over all that time I averaged about 1 HQ3 rock, 11-14 HQ1 rocks, 2-3 HQ2's and the rest nq's per run of 36 colored rocks, but there were some runs where I'd get a lot of HQ3's and then a bunch of other runs where I'd get 1 or none. I've still got a screenshot of me synthing 4 HQ3's in a row and then turning around and breaking like 5 rocks in a row and losing the materials.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Took me 110 tries to get a Sapphire on 96 gold account...was non on AH and needed for damn manteel.

Fortunately HQed the manteel lol

I used to have horrible luck hqing the rocks too, never as bad as you guys say, i'd usually get at least one hq3 every 24 rocks, usually 2 or 3. Was very very good money when rocks sold for like 1-3k and diamonds for example were 300-350k. Even all the hq2 and hq3's weren't bad cause you could just turn around and make rings out of them for another 60-100k. Rocks used to be an awesome way to make money.

I haven't done synthing in a long while but I doubt it's still the case, for some reason all rocks on gilgamesh just dropped one week, every hq3 was down to like 10k or 30k for the previously 300kish ones. Don't know what provoked the drop, but it happened in about a weeks time if i remember correctly.

A lot of HQ3 rock results have been punished by new desynthesis. For example, spinel comes from soulflayer staves, diamonds from poroggo hats. Add to that a larger base of GS competing for rocks and deflation in general and yes the market is going to suffer.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    That sounds about right from my mini-experiment using Alchemy 60 and a synth-stravaganza I had getting rid of a ton of Ice clusters. I ended up with a very bottom heavy pyramid..tons of 20s, a bunch of 50s, three 99s. I don't know what I did with my notebook when I moved though, so I don't have exact numbers.

I'm also the guy who cuts a Sparkling Stone everytime I get one from Dynamis hoping to HQ3 at Tier 1 with 46 Goldsmithing, so take this with a grain of salt I guess.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

A lot of HQ3 rock results have been punished by new desynthesis. For example, spinel comes from soulflayer staves, diamonds from poroggo hats. Add to that a larger base of GS competing for rocks and deflation in general and yes the market is going to suffer.
    They also come from the ashu talif quests. I dunno how many people still do them but my group spammed those bc's as often as possible for awhile.

Dice and rum

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Theraven
    They also come from the ashu talif quests. I dunno how many people still do them but my group spammed those bc's as often as possible for awhile.
    That's an idea. A group within my LS does that, I'll have to see if they'll sell them directly to me.

Thistle, you still havent said anything about my sig, AMSAD

Dice and rum

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Skeetaru
    Thistle, you still havent said anything about my sig, AMSAD
    My bad. We match now! Hello, sig twin! (And congrats! :D )

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I think the ashu quests are what actually crashed the HQ3 prices in the first place. When they first came out and there was no 1 day wait in between the market got really flooded and then never really recovered since the gems are still 100% drop from some of the crates. Although we always seemed to get the crappy Emeralds and Topazes rather than Diamonds and Sapphires but eh, thems the breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by evilpaul
    I'm also the guy who cuts a Sparkling Stone everytime I get one from Dynamis hoping to HQ3 at Tier 1 with 46 Goldsmithing, so take this with a grain of salt I guess.
    I just crafted a Koh-I-Noor @ 53 GS skill yesterday after dynamis-bastok. Too bad moving it off the AH is going to be a pain I didn't SS (not that I knew how anyway) because I didn't expect to be posting about it or anything, but after reading that I felt obliged.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Not that this topic need any more input but...

I logged the results of 3447 gavial fish synths, here are the results over the course of 35 fishing/crafting sessions:

Fail - 94
    Crit Fail - 89
    NQ - 1637
    HQ1 - 1215
    HQ2 - 312
    HQ3 - 100

Break% - 5.3%
    HQ% - 47.2%

HQ1:HQ2:HQ3 - 12.15:3.12:1

So yeah, 12:3:1 ratio, 5% break%. Once you take the constant 5% break% (for single craft synth), it's about 50% HQ rate.

Quote Originally Posted by detlef

I logged the results of 3447 gavial fish synths, here are the results over the course of 35 fishing/crafting sessions:

Fail - 94
    Crit Fail - 89
    NQ - 1637
    HQ1 - 1215
    HQ2 - 312
    HQ3 - 100

Break% - 5.3%
    HQ% - 47.2%

HQ1:HQ2:HQ3 - 12.15:3.12:1

So yeah, 12:3:1 ratio, 5% break%. Once you take the constant 5% break% (for single craft synth), it's about 50% HQ rate.
    i could hug you for bringing such beautiful numbers to this thread. a well managed, and well planned test putting hard evidence behind a claim. /clap

Dice and rum

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by detlef
    Input like yours is always welcome! Thanks for sharing it!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I was just about to stash that info somewhere I'd be sure to lose it when I thought "Hey, this should go on a wiki or something." The whole crafting subsection is a nice blank canvas. Things to do, things to do...