Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Elmer's Points in History - Promotional Videos

Sorry, this one's kind of another cock tease. I promise next will be back to normal with Antica!

Anyway, two of the older guides came with DVDs. They have stuff like BCNM guides and area descriptions and CoP sneak peeks (people in full AF fighting in Promyvion) and so on. I want to subtitle the interesting stuff some day, but for now you get these promos.

I thought it was interesting to compare with some of the excitement we get seeing promo material nowadays. Like when Aht Urghan was announced and people were like "Holy crap! That was Odin at the end of the clip, did you see that?" and then started 50-page flame threads on KI about whether it would be summonable.

It's neat seeing those kinds of things from back in the day. Like watching the Dragoon do Wheely Thrust, or Summoner pop out avatars... I wonder how psyched people were for it. Or how much people speculated over the little flash of Dynamis...

The original promo is just funny since the game obviously wasn't even finished at the time.

Original Final Fantasy XI Promo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7kC5Ewst5I
    ---
    Final Fantasy XI: The Rise of Zilart Promo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHhRfyQ_-Y0
    ---

Hopefully, you find these kind of interesting to watch. If not... oops

Re: Elmer's Points in History - Promotional Videos

By the way, I noticed right away and moved the thread! So I don't want to hear anything from the 6 people who viewed it so far

Banned.

BG Level

Interesting, I remember seeing the first one or the clips of it anyway. The large group of people running at the dhalmel got me so excited for the game.

Same here. I want to say I've seen the first video ages ago. God that was a long time ago. On the outside looking in, just waiting for the few importers/japanese players giving their accounts to uh I think it was Square Gamer, or Wandering Flame forums.

I also remember spending a few hours a week watching the boring as snot live feed that was usually pointed right at the sandy town gate in west ron. But it was so awesome when some random character ran by!

At least SE has a nack for making good expansion trailers.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The first Orc is named Opal Quadav. (I am LastNinjaPirate12 )

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pre-Newbie Days
    Holy crap did you see those espers? That looked like Gilgamesh in the video, maybe we'll be able to summon him too.
    Nice videos, those brought back some memories.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Did anyone else notice the orcs in Giddeus and the leather gear manafont?

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

oh thank you for this.. i LOVE promotional trailers (especially the full length ones, like the final ToA trailer, not the teaser ones like the one we got so far from WotG)

I've seen this all before but I liked the quality of the one you're giving us (Are you ready? no LOLOL)

by the way, regarding the discrepancies... all beastmen looked like Orcs in beta apparently, and I'm guessing they didn't tweak the gear allocation for jobs back then, which would explain why BLMs could wear leather (OR that all gear happened to look like leather in beta too)

edit: I thought I'd add a link to this pre-beta FFXI trailer too, this was in the extra DVD that came with FFX: international

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRFHVtViNKQ

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Elmer, you wouldn't happen to have the first POL promo vid would you? I remember seeing it on the old Square site around 2001-02. It was done like a commercial showing japanese teenagers chatting.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Emler can do no wrong

Good quality for youtube, and yea lol@orcs everywhere.
    Also liked how they used the opening video(or what was to become it) interspersed with game play to make it look cooler >.>

Oh, and guess who first response was!(after elmer responded to himself) what a surprise, its BRP! not like he trolls every topic ever made or anything :/

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I miss the green Galkas, and the flying Fafs.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Are you ready!?

No.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Rise of the Zilart looks awesome, screw this WoG crap.

God the original promo vid brings back memories...
    Anyone else remember exping in a party on dhalmels in tahronghi?
    or getting couple blm's and a whm and going to maze?

Sagacious Sundi

Even though I've seen it before, the RotZ promo is my favorite, and now I can easily find it whenever.

I wonder: Were the Orc models just placeholders, or was that what "Beastmen" was originally going to refer to? Maybe Orcs, Quadav, Yagudo, and possibly others (not Gobbies) were just supposed to be different sects/names/tribes/etc.? Would explain the lack of Giants in the intro.

Either way, thanks for posting them! When can we expect ze Antziz? Tomorrow?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Anyone notice that the ninja was tanking for the party in that video?

3 days since sahagin...Im getting the shakes, I'm jonesing for more!

Quote Originally Posted by Sagacious Sundi
    Even though I've seen it before, the RotZ promo is my favorite, and now I can easily find it whenever.

I wonder: Were the Orc models just placeholders, or was that what "Beastmen" was originally going to refer to? Maybe Orcs, Quadav, Yagudo, and possibly others (not Gobbies) were just supposed to be different sects/names/tribes/etc.? Would explain the lack of Giants in the intro.

On some JP timeline (Of since game was betad to present) said that the main beastman all had orc models but names are same i believe

Sagacious Sundi

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme

On some JP timeline (Of since game was betad to present) said that the main beastman all had orc models but names are same i believe
    Yeah, but what I'm wondering if Square was being lazy and was going to keep it that way, or if they were planning to make unique Quad/Yag models.

And Anticaziz where?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's good and all, but I wouldn't say it was the best expansion promo ever...