Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Valor Head/Feet macros; are they worth it?

I was wondering what you guys thought of macro'ing in Valor head for Rampart and Valor Feet for Sentinel. To my understanding, the enhancements on this gear gives you 15 extra seconds on Rampart and some extra defense on Sentinel plus a slight duration increase. The question I'm asking is basically: do you think it is worth it to change gears and 1. blink so that your whm's lose target, 2. have -2 slots in your inventory, and 3. have another annoying macro to worry about, in order to get these small enhancements? Also, do you pld's use these pieces of gear in your macros?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Re: Valor Head/Feet macros; are they worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    blink so that your whm's lose target
    /ma "Cure V" Pacha

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Feet - definitely
    Head - not worth carrying around

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    I was wondering what you guys thought of macro'ing in Valor head for Rampart and Valor Feet for Sentinel. To my understanding, the enhancements on this gear gives you 15 extra seconds on Rampart and some extra defense on Sentinel plus a slight duration increase. The question I'm asking is basically: do you think it is worth it to change gears and 1. blink so that your whm's lose target, 2. have -2 slots in your inventory, and 3. have another annoying macro to worry about, in order to get these small enhancements? Also, do you pld's use these pieces of gear in your macros?
    Maybe it's just me, but a 50% increase in Rampart's duration and 100% damage reduction from Sentinel seem like pretty good reason to blink.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Do you blink out allready or do you try to keep a non-blinking build?

If you blink out like a Christmas tree anyways, and your mages are ok with that, go for it. It's marginal but it's a boon. If your mages miss a cure, reprimand them anyways because it's their job to cope with equip swaps, But you might want to make a non-visible equip swap build if your mages have problems with you.

Inventory isn't a huge problem on PLD [considering I have RDM and BLM, comparitivly, those are much worse inventorywise], and as far as macro space: you should be equip swapping from haste to enmity gear anyways when you hit rampart or sentinal, Just add a /wait with it.

/console exec PLD_Enmity.txt
    /equip feet "Valor Leggings"
    /ja Sentinal <me>
    /wait 2
    /equip feet "Gallant Leggings +1"

assburgers
    BG Level

What is with mages having a problem with blinking tanks/melees lately?

I've got swaps for Counter+ Gear, full TP gear, and my WS/Boost macro which (right now at least) incorporates my AF hand/boost/okotes blinking.

I can only imagine the macro silliness I would have on a full on tank, especially with endgame gear options.

Do people target cures by sight that much?

Are that many other people getting wailed on that they have to constantly tab back and forth?

I had a little taru last night that I've partied with a few times, I love this guy, we had a War/Nin "tanking" at 55-57, with a psycho Drk/War, a Sam/Thf with great gears, and a Mnk/War who insists on Counterstancing (me), and he kept up with all our crazy blinking and random hate sharing, just him and a Cor/Rng.

If he can do that, when any of us four could get hit, why can't Whm's do it later with dedicated tanks?

If it adds enough to an ability to use, I would damn well be blinking it in and out when I activated it.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Blinking is situational. Some healers detest it more than anything, some couldn't care less. You should just ask your healers about it and see if they care. If you want to do it anyway, you could always just put something in your macro like a party line that says you are going to blink.

assburgers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree
    Blinking is situational. Some healers detest it more than anything, some couldn't care less. You should just ask your healers about it and see if they care. If you want to do it anyway, you could always just put something in your macro like a party line that says you are going to blink.
    I tend to put as many equip swaps into one macro as will fit, to avoid having three or four single swaps around.

Adding a line "hey healers, you might lose target on me" would eat up a line, and spam the party ridiculously with text.

Banned.

BG Level

I love that "HAY GUYS I FINALLY COMPLETED VALOR SET BY THE GETTING THE LS'S FIRST SURCOAT, I THINK FOR NOW ON I WON'T TOUCH MY AF+1 BOOTS ^____________^;;" guy. He's my favorite.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

IMO, the Leggings are worth swapping in, the Coronet is okay, but *shrug*. Generally, you're using Rampart either for hate or for a specific ability that's coming within a few seconds. Having it last 45 seconds instead of 30 is nice, but if you're using it for something specific, it will have already worn off by then, and if you're using it for hate, you're served better by an Aegishjalmr or Bahamut's Mask. The extra time is nice to prepare for things like Wings or other AoEs, that don't have a significant enough cast time that you can pop the ability before they go off. Valor Leggings is a no-brainer...having it start at -100% is always welcome.

As for blinking for the two abilities...They're on 5 minute timers. If your mages can't deal with you blinking once or twice every 5 minutes, there's a bigger problem at hand. I have macro sets that blink constantly, and I have sets that don't blink at all, but for a 5-minute ability, you should almost be expected to blink in that piece of AF.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kael'thas

Quote Originally Posted by Ferien
    As for blinking for the two abilities...They're on 5 minute timers. If your mages can't deal with you blinking once or twice every 5 minutes, there's a bigger problem at hand. I have macro sets that blink constantly, and I have sets that don't blink at all, but for a 5-minute ability, you should almost be expected to blink in that piece of AF.
    Cool PLDs have it on 4:10 My take on it: macro in valor feet for sent, valor head is almost worthless.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Max™
    Quote Originally Posted by ringthree
    I tend to put as many equip swaps into one macro as will fit, to avoid having three or four single swaps around.

Adding a line "hey healers, you might lose target on me" would eat up a line, and spam the party ridiculously with text.
    It wouldn't spam if its an ability like Sentinel. Like I said it depends on your healers. My LS uses too many different tanks for the WHM to have macros for all of them for all situations, so we try to keep blinking to a minimum and just say on vent when we are going to blink. Honestly, I think that people that blink all the time for vokes or spells while tanking are doing too much.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It wouldn't really matter to blink on Sentinel, since you wouldn't be taking damage anyway. You will reappear for you next cure way before sentinel wears off.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    I love that "HAY GUYS I FINALLY COMPLETED VALOR SET BY THE GETTING THE LS'S FIRST SURCOAT, I THINK FOR NOW ON I WON'T TOUCH MY AF+1 BOOTS ^____________^;;" guy. He's my favorite.
    That's every single PLD on Bahamut (minus a certain aegis, of course). We also got the Macu/Joyeuse tanks, too.

I swap in my Valor Leggings on Sentinel, but I wouldn't bother with the head on rampart. The defense boost is generally not why you're using the ability, it's either a hate spike or the magic stoneskin, which will probably pop right away if you did it right. However, before I got Homam, I lived in valor when my shadows were up.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Havok Stormblood
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I have the leggings in sentinel macro...but I usually don't find them worth carrying around, I can't say that I actually get hit that often when sentinel is up. I think the coronet is way more worth it. Haven't you ever put up rampart, and had a wing or something hit 2 seconds after it wears off? That extra 15 second duration would have been very nice there.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Havok
    I have the leggings in sentinel macro...but I usually don't find them worth carrying around, I can't say that I actually get hit that often when sentinel is up. I think the coronet is way more worth it. Haven't you ever put up rampart, and had a wing or something hit 2 seconds after it wears off? That extra 15 second duration would have been very nice there.
    Yea...It's happened to me a bunch of times in Xarc against the NIN NM. Use Rampart, wears in 30, Mijin 5 seconds later. That's actually the reason I started carrying the Coronet around with me again. It's worth it when you're using it to guard against something that could happen any time, like Mijin or Wing, but if you're using it for something specific (-ga, GoH, etc) you only really need the effect to last 3 seconds, because the spell will have already gone off by then.

Atlasion

I use to carry round AF2 Head for Rampart, but now I just don't bother. In most cases you can usually time when you think a mob will use a TP move.

As for AF2 Feet, I dunno. If I had them I would probably macro them in for Sentinel. I always seem to be away when my LS does Dynamis Windurst

I don't give a stuff about blinking people - I adopt the same policy I do for all people. I'll try to cast on you 3 times - if you blink and miss all those tries... tough.

Particular culprits are taru blms when you're trying to refresh them - they blink too much they can do without MP that cycle.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Sendra
    Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    That's every single PLD on Bahamut (minus a certain aegis, of course). We also got the Macu/Joyeuse tanks, too.
    I challenge that! Some of us are competent, well, most of the time.

Anyway, everybody else pretty much got it right. There are a lot of good options for the feet slot, blinking depends on your mages, shit is situational, etc. etc. But Coronet is for inventory-1 (and showing off the beard on Hume 7A. 8) )

I will actually wear Valor Cornet full time on some mobs, has hp and +3 enemity on it. I don't have th agisjamer (what?) or Bahamut mask, just Koenig, homam and Valor.