Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New HNM Strategies     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

New HNM Strategies

Obviously some HNMs like Fortitude will remain unchanged, but with the 2 Hander "fix" a lot of different possibilities are going to open up.

I was thinking about doing Justice with SAMs to clear the babies instead of BLMs (with a couple of SAMs would it be possible to just Meikyo burn him?). TA+WS seems like it'd be insane hate & good damage to boot for just about everything now.

Thoughts?

Ashira

Re: New HNM Strategies

We're (or, rather, Kaeko is) already rethinking and repursuing our 6 man Ultima... Not to mention Bahamut/Ouryu, and we all already saw the damage outputs on Fafnirs yesterday...

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

k... now I think its realy time to buff up blm...

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

3 SAMs already worked on killing ouryu, the only issue becomes the TP moves (and yes, they tend to get really fucking annoying, terrors, roars, etc. Nuking and sleeping on the ground saves everyone a ton of headache, coming from doing it with melees to doing with nuke sleeping). Bahamut meleed down is sort of duh. You could efficiently throw melees at

Fafnir
    KB
    Cerb
    Hydra
    Khim
    Ouryu
    Jorm
    Tiamat
    Bahamut
    Ultima
    Omega

And a partridge in a pear tree and kill it effectively beforehand, this is just gonna make is much faster for those not afraid of the occasional TP move. Nothing's changed though, the reasons you wouldnt throw a melee at a mob before (if your shell is allergic to TP or something) you still wouldn't throw a melee at it now.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Agree with Ryko. If you didn't use melees before due to TP moves or afraid of flail-type moves, you probably won't use them now.

We've used SAMs for just about every mob in the game prior to the update. Our last Tiamat kill was 42 minutes with a 7 SAM rotation on the ground, for example. This update just makes it faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic
    Agree with Ryko. If you didn't use melees before due to TP moves or afraid of flail-type moves, you probably won't use them now.

We've used SAMs for just about every mob in the game prior to the update. Our last Tiamat kill was 42 minutes with a 7 SAM rotation on the ground, for example. This update just makes it faster.
    Or you could make it 25min with a 2 DRK rotation

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

We rotate in all forms of 2h melee users. WARs for Steel Cyclone, DRKs for Spinning Slash, and SAMs for Gekko.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

We rotate in all forms of 2h melee users. WARs for Steel Cyclone, DRKs for Spinning Slash, and SAMs for Gekko.
    Have a sneaking feeling he meant KRAKENINING

bingo. buffing 2 hand damage only increases the speed at which you kill. excluding fights like bahamut, where the goal is to end him as fast as humanly possible, if killing it by hitting it wasn't a good strategy before, killing it by hitting it, even if it's 40% faster maybe, is not going to make it a viable strategy. the reason you didn't hit it before still applies for the remaining 60% of the time you fight it. on the other hand, things that you did fight by hitting it (read 90% of the fights out there) will merely go faster or require less people. very little will change due to this. melees still deal continuous damage, as well as significant impulse damage with a modest downtime between impulses. meanwhile, blm deal significant impulse damage at will, but with a finite restriction on their output, as well as the ability to hit multiple targets at once (this ofc excludes for the sake of this discussion the other critical roles of blm in sleeping, etc.) this will change speed/manpower requirements, not strategies, excepting perhaps, where time is a factor.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl
    I got whooshed. =(

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

How is this going to effect Ultima? My LS is still on training wheels with regards to Limbus, with two Omega kills under our belts, and we've been wary about throwing ourselves at Ultima considering our [comparitively] low BLM count.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl
    SUMMON THE KRAKENS!

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

k... now I think its realy time to buff up blm...
    in order to put back a blm army and let rotate melee ( who never rotate but when they die) ?

Now your turn to rotate...

im agree to give some merit burn pt ability to blm though , like ultra fast cast spell ( fireball , Icicle , etc... ) , i did a pt this morning and we were doing a lot more darkness due to cross reaper , asuran and catastrophe (CR > asuran > cata , cata > CR , asuran > CR ) , i think a pt with a rng gonna do more light SC also , blm could find his place in the exp burn if they add ultra fast cast spell

edit : nvm mob die too fast >.>

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Xno

in order to put back a blm army and let rotate melee ( who never rotate but when they die) ?

im agree to give some merit burn pt ability to blm though , like ultra fast cast spell ( fireball , Icicle , etc... ) , i did a pt this morning and we were doing a lot more darkness due to cross reaper , asuran and catastrophe (CR > asuran > cata , cata > CR , asuran > CR ) , i think a pt with a rng gonna do more light SC also , blm could find his place in the exp burn if they add ultra fast cast spell

I finished my lvl 75 blm 3 months ago. I play since 3 years FFXI, but this 2handed update is about to spoil alot of things in this game that were set in stone. Melees were allready takeing up some fight. zerging bahamut, kirin and the like. all the reports from various places are indicateing that the 2h-weapon buff is way off and has crossed the line too far.

The only thing that keeps blm from being rendered useless now is the TP-friendly dmg spells do.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Damane
    Quote Originally Posted by Xno

I finished my lvl 75 blm 3 months ago. I play since 3 years FFXI, but this 2handed update is about to spoil alot of things in this game that were set in stone. Melees were allready takeing up some fight. zerging bahamut, kirin and the like. all the reports from various places are indicateing that the 2h-weapon buff is way off and has crossed the line too far.

The only thing that keeps blm from being rendered useless now is the TP-friendly dmg spells do.
    A lot of shells embraced the simplicity and level of easiness that meleeburn strats on HNMs bring and all this update did was make that even more easy to put together (and thusly significantly more desireable). I don't think there really is any place for BLM other than a few little spots here and there. We're downright pathetic DD-wise now on HNMs where it really counts

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The size of the group you choose to do certain events with dictates how useful BLM is for you. To call BLM useless on most events compared to melee is pretty narrow minded - there are many ways to do the same thing. I personally love the changes because it adds balance to the choices of DD. Melee ganking was a viable strat before this but it required a larger number of members to perform correctly, whereas "manaburning" typically did not. This is coming from someone who's only 75 is a blm.

Seems to me, it's almost... broken... Can you say Mazurka patch? Whoops Emergency Maintenance...

Last night on LS some of the #'s ppl we're spouting out in ls chat just seemed absurd, almost unbelievable... If it does stay exactly the way it is now, imo it just opens the door for more nubs to move into end game, as if it is not already crowded enough. Who rly cares how good your gear is when you can pull off a 1k gekko nearly naked with no food, brd, cor or anything. Not that the elite players wont do more, but, I see a rush of ppl "zomg my dmg is awesome let's camp abc mob". Meh, Idk...

My LS utilizes BLM's alot, they'd kill me if we didn't T.T - For example on Tiamat, we let 2x SAM TA Frag to constantly pin hate on our 2 tanks with BLM's magic bursted the sc every down, sometimes 2x SC per down. Combine that with some SMN dmg, and a KC for the last 10%, and you have yourself a 30-40 min fight already.

I think they made things to easy really -______-

I'm just hoping that in the new expansion, they will add mobs/fights that will be much harder than what we currently have. Maybe this 2-handed buff is a prelude to a much harder expansion? Doubt it knowing SE, but one can only hope

New strategy: Throw some Maxxans on that shit

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

FFXI is way too hard now guys