+ Reply to Thread

So anyone have/know some one with ADHD?

Very interesting video about ADHD and other types of medication.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9524875493

only about 25 mintues in to it, but it talks about how kids are labeled as ADHD and other things, when kids could just be hyper active in a phase.

Also talks about how common things are considered to be realated to ADHD. Often has trouble organizing activities, Is often easily distracted, often talks excessivelys, often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor"

Re: So anyone have/know some one with ADHD?

< Mis-diagnosed with ADHD as a kid.

Its a common problem. Get smart like I did and store the pill in your mouth then spit the shit out later.

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Hey Koga, wanna ride bikes?

I was 2 when I was diagnosed with ADHD. It kinda just went away about the time I hit 16.

I was diagnosed when I was 4 or so I am told, my father since he is a pediatrician decided he did not want to medicate me and turn me into a zombie, so he had my mom sign me up to swimming, baseball, soccer, and karate, lol. Since I was 4 I remember being involved in so damn many things, that it kept me busy, and helped me become more focused in what I was doing since I enjoyed all those activities (I did get to choose what sports/activities I could do). It was the best thing ever for me, and now with my own kid who is 7, my wife and I are doing the same thing for him (kid is hyper as fuck) and so far is working pretty well, fuck medicating kids.

Quote Originally Posted by thestalkmore
    Hey Koga, wanna ride bikes?
    Hahahahaha

So classic.

I have/was labeled with ADHD a long time ago and have been on meds for a long time. I'm actually throwing them out and not renewing them because they make me like a zombie.

ADHD is the most over/mis-diagnosed fake problem there is. Every psychiatrist out there will tell you it's crap off the record too, but it is a huge source of income for parents giving their kids therapy to get prescriptions and for school psychologists testing kids so it'll never change.

maybe 1 out of every 15 kids that's diagnosed with it might actually have an attention problem and even then it's just cause there is no discipline in the kids life.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I have actual ADD. I stopped taking Ritalin in 4th grade because it made it so I didn't enjoy lunch, and so I got off of it lol. But over the last few years I've wondered if I should go back on medication because I can BS my way through most of school but being unable to focus much in college and studying has probably hurt me. If I return to college I'll probably look for medication to take for it. I truly have problems focusing on something at a time, unless I am really passionate about what I'm doing it takes part of my brainpower to keep myself on task.

Often has trouble organizing activities, Is often easily distracted, often talks excessivelys, often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor"
    Organization has always been a weakness of mine, I am distracted far more often than I'm on task, I talk way more than I should and many people consider me annoying because of it and in high school I rarely just sat around and was constantly "on the go", especially once I began to normally skip class.

Jujubie

My little brother was diaganosed with it in 1st grade. He was also IQ tested just short of "genius". My mom fought to not put him on meds but was forced to do so or he would have been kicked out of school. (Dad was in the AF and we lived overseas so not much choice to go to a different school.) He was on Ritalin and it gave him headaches and nightmares. He stopped taking it I think by 8th grade.

Although I agree that he probably had it, the schools should adapt to help the children learn in non-traditional methods instead of just medicating them to control them in the classroom.

I justfind it funny that the worlds answer to hyper kids is to give them cocaine, the chemical equivalent of ritalin.

Edit: Should clarify, the functional equivalent of cocaine.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya
    I justfind it funny that the worlds answer to hyper kids is to give them cocaine, the chemical equivalent of ritalin.

Is that seriously what they prescribe kids in other parts of the world?

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

ADHD is the most over/mis-diagnosed fake problem there is. Every psychiatrist out there will tell you it's crap off the record too, but it is a huge source of income for parents giving their kids therapy to get prescriptions and for school psychologists testing kids so it'll never change.

maybe 1 out of every 15 kids that's diagnosed with it might actually have an attention problem and even then it's just cause there is no discipline in the kids life.
    QFT.

As a direct result of the rise in liberal parenting (not insulting it) we have children who don't feel compelled to do the things they are supposed to. ADHD is just a fancy way to describe children who have attention problems and are extremely hyper.

My little brother was diagnosed with it but my mother wouldn't ever buy into the medication they try to feed the parent. It's ridiculous, it's so obvious it's a ploy for worried parents who fail at parenting and just want to medicate their child until they think they're fixing the problem. My mother chose to only get natural herbal medicines from this local natural store place, I forget what they're referred to as I was younger when this was going on. He would just eat one or two these little packets of orange goop which had some herbal ingredients which allowed more efficient focusing. He also would get "sensory diets" which was a private session with a professional before his classes; basically she would use this brush on his arms and legs with lots of bristles to stimulate his nerve endings and relax him/bring attention to his nerves so they didn't need to be stimulated later on. Also, little things he would do naturally were cures to his situation his body would do on it's own. For example, he would lean on low counters with his arms almost perpendicular to the surface and press down which stimulated his muscles and joints. As far as I know, he was the only child who had a professional treating his condition in the small school system we went to (he went to the elementary school at the time Kindergarten - 2nd grade maybe about 100 kids). But ya... ADHD isn't something that needs medication, it can be remedied by simple natural solutions. My brother wasn't special ed or anything which it might sound like, he is actually extremely smart, so smart in fact that he finds school boring as he's told me. I think his ADHD might be a misdiagnosed situation of a smart kid with lots of energy bored in school. I'm just glad he wasn't put on the plethora of medication for the situation. I beleive he also took an IQ test sometime during 1st or 2nd grade and he scored abnormally high and since he was the only black boy (One of 5 in our entire town, predominantly white rural town in Connecticut) they demanded a retest, lol.

ADD is Attention Deficit Disorder which is just kids who have trouble focusing (almost every kid has it pretty much). ADHD is Attention Deficit Hyper Disorder which encompasses ADD with the symptoms of hyper activity, this is just what I picked up from my brothers situation and what was explained to me by the doctors and my mother. Don't go pulling out wikipedia and correcting my definitions because they are just what I've learned from experience.

Anyway, the fact is, ADD and ADHD are a load of crap.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Jujubie
    My little brother was diaganosed with it in 1st grade. He was also IQ tested just short of "genius". My mom fought to not put him on meds but was forced to do so or he would have been kicked out of school. (Dad was in the AF and we lived overseas so not much choice to go to a different school.) He was on Ritalin and it gave him headaches and nightmares. He stopped taking it I think by 8th grade.

Although I agree that he probably had it, the schools should adapt to help the children learn in non-traditional methods instead of just medicating them to control them in the classroom.
    lol wow, almost identical to my story, didn't read all the posts before replying.. except for the fact that your brother actually took prescribed medication for it.

But ya, the small town's school my brother went to had alot of money and just hired a professional to deal with his condition. It's a shame all the children (it's rare actually) who have a real form of ADD or ADHD are treated so haphazardly and fed meds.

It's more of a legalized speed in a sense....well adderall is anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Vertabreaker

It's the same thing, cocaine/ritalin and i'm not sure but i think aderall they speed up your system so much that you crash. the desired effect is that during the crash period you don't have the hyper behavior that causes you to lose focus which is why most people on those drugs are like zombies since the effect of feeling crashed lasts a long time.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd imagine it'd be cheaper just to give them Ritalin or Adderall than cocaine or speed, especially if they do the same thing. It just strikes me as odd that some places find it cheaper/easier to use cocaine instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertabreaker

It's the same thing, cocaine/ritalin and i'm not sure but i think aderall they speed up your system so much that you crash. the desired effect is that during the crash period you don't have the hyper behavior that causes you to lose focus which is why most people on those drugs are like zombies since the effect of feeling crashed lasts a long time.
    I'm not familiar with ritalin as much, but I take adderall(have been for a long time). The way addys work is that if you're hyper all the time, it basically over stimulates you so that you "crash" and become more mello. If you take it and are not normally as hyper as someone with ADHD it will make you feel like you're on speed.

The reason I've decided to stop taking it is because of the reason you said. It makes me a zombie. I can focus like no other when I take the meds but it seems like I have no personality. Also, the worst part is it gives you insomnia since it's other application is for narcolepsy(sp?). I havn't had more then 3 hours of sleep a night in I can't even remember how long. Along with that it gives you loss of appetite, possible liver damage(long term. another reason I'm stopping), and a slew of other side effects.

I've learned to deal with my lack of concentration, and I think everyone who's "diagnosed" can do the same. I think the meds while they might help short time are not good to take over a long period of time. I know personally, I hate the side effects more then anything and that's motivation enough for me to stop taking them. I don't usually take my meds past 2PM and anyone around me when they wear off can tell you, when I'm off of them, it's like night and day.

Misdiagnosed ADHD is really just genius

:D

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Elementary teachers are pussies.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was misdiagnosed with ADHD when I was younger. Upon closer examination, further testing and lab results, it turned out it was just the normal attention span and hyperactivity issues common in younger children. For a while, though, they were scared I had contracted ADHD, and would need medication and other treatments. Luckily, that wasn't the case and my family was told that it would just go away on its own as I got older. So no medication or treatment needed.