+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BST Scythe     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

BST Scythe

I decided to pull my BST out for the first time in months. I asked another BST (who was a party leader) if I could join them, and they said sure. Party was NIN, BST, BST, RDM, WHM, BLM. It was a pretty good party, net some nice EXP for the time we were together (1.5 hours).

My BST is 63. We were fighting Processionaires in Boyahda Tree, Ancient Goobbue camp. I had FunguarFamiliar as my pet. The other BST also had FunguarFamiliar. We both had similar gear, I think my I had ACC +37 when I was using Axe and he had ACC +38.

Now I decided to switch to Scythe to see how we would compare. The other BST said to go ahead. I swapped in my Demonslicer (it looks pretty sweet, and its a solid scythe, although A l'outrance is better, I'm not up for camping it). I was BST/WAR. He was BST/NIN. His axes were Wrath Tabar/Viking Axe. In terms of merits, we both had a couple crit+, but that's about it that would help BST.

Overall, I hit much more per hit, averaging about 70 a hit, 90 a hit with Berserk. My crits were usually in the 140-150 area, and my highest crit was for 159. I also tended to TP faster than him, gaining double with my Scythe. I don't think he was a poorly geared BST, but I decided to use Sushi to see how it would take me, so the extra accuracy probably was what was a factor to that. At 100% TP, Vorpal did something like 100 usually, so just a slightly better regular hit. At 200% TP, which is where I sometimes ended up before we SCed (Vorpal -> Rampage), I averaged about 250, with my highest being 347. His Rampages averaged 400, and he averagely hit for 30 a swing with his Wrath and maybe 20 with his Viking. I took some SSes of the log, but I won't post them unless someone is really that interested.

So basically, anyone have any input on this? Should BST consider using Scythe in party/solo more? I won't put my opinion on this just yet, but I want to see what you guys think. In before lolScytheBST.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Re: BST Scythe

A 75 bst friend told me he had tried this and got better results with axes on bst/nin, than scythe on bst/thf or bst/war if that means anything. If bst had access to guillotine or even cross-reaper it would be a lot more viable for party play...

EDIT: He has merits in neither.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Viking Axe at 63?

Scythe is good with 300% TP and /THF and you actually get invited to an ally.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I've been trioing with my BST with a PL. Other members are SAM and BRD. Scythe is a better choice in my opinion at lower levels before rampage in parties. For comparison, I'm doing roughly 50-110 per swing and 70-120 on WS (lolSlice). In comparison, 1h Axe does around 20-30 a swing and 60-80 WS. These are all against IT mobs giving capped exp.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

BST in exp parties is gimp, gtfo.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by superfob
    trainwreck

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Wrath Tabar...ick...such crappy DPS. He shoulda been using Tungi offhand at least, with Sushi he shouldn't need the Viking.

I haven't really seen many results pointing towards Scythe being that good for general purpose DD later on. 100% TP Spiral Hell numbers generally seem worse than Rampage, and Temperance Axe > Bahamut's Zaghnal.

The bigger question for me is why after the no-XP-loss change were neither of you using charmed pets? At 63 you can quite readily find EM pets around in the tree, which woulda been much better damage than the jugs you had.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlesoup
    What great insight, what a stunning contribution.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

And the same mentality as 99% of the playerbase sadly.

For your level, I have no clue, I solo'd and always found axe/shield the best. At level 75 Temp/Man is kick ass, but with this new update.. Im not sure how scythe would fair, with HNMs in our time, havent had the chance to do shit.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

to people saying lolbst in pt, up until 60 or 65 or so, a good BST can easily win parses

I remember exping my bst, usually not even counting my pet I could keep up with wars and mnks pretty well, and when my pet got counted in I usually wrecked everyone.

about axes.. idk, haven't really played much since the patch, and my bst is still only 64 :x

Bring your war, ill bring my bst and then feed you the parse for breakfast lunch dinner and a midnight snack

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Skeetaru
    Bring your war, ill bring my bst and then feed you the parse for breakfast lunch dinner and a midnight snack
    Sorry, I don't have war leveled

I did however, level BST to 75 the REAL way, not by taking the easy way out and gimping it up in exp parties.

Scythe might be better for now with that whole 2h patch. Also if you say bst is a bad DD your fucking retarded. A good bst can top any DD until the 60s. from 60+ there about as good or better than a war varying on bst

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I did however, level BST to 75 the REAL way, not by taking the easy way out and gimping it up in exp parties.
    Is it safe to assume you're one of those retard proponents of "JORB PRIDE" that escaped from AllaK to start posting here?

Just because you fail at bringing out the best of your job in a party setting doesn't mean others can't.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Leveling bst from 25 to 64 in less than 2 weeks was the most awesome thing ever.

I need to get it to 75 so I can use the skadi shoes that I completed a few weeks ago.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition
    Is it safe to assume you're one of those retard proponents of "JORB PRIDE" that escaped from AllaK to start posting here?

Just because you fail at bringing out the best of your job in a party setting doesn't mean others can't.

bst party in boya on gobbue, anyone? That's the only party when a lvl 63(or higher?)~near lvl 69 bst can join party together and watching mandies and rabbits raping those gobbue. And the exp is decent by that time (3-4k per hr?) when average pt exp is like 2.5k per hr... >.>

if anyone ever play bst and don't know about this bst party they have no right to say about bst can't party >.>

well... since after the rmt invading the gobbues...didn't see any bst pt in there already...

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme
    Scythe might be better for now with that whole 2h patch. Also if you say bst is a bad DD your fucking retarded. A good bst can top any DD until the 60s. from 60+ there about as good or better than a war varying on bst
    I tested using Scythe with /THF in boyahda on Goobbues and I can confirm it still sucks as before. The only thing that made it bearable was that I can SA+Spiral Hell and still get full EXP. SE didn't bother to upgrade Spiral Hell, that's why it still sucks.

p.s. I WS in Adaberk, etc, etc.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia
    Wrath Tabar...ick...such crappy DPS. He shoulda been using Tungi offhand at least, with Sushi he shouldn't need the Viking.

I haven't really seen many results pointing towards Scythe being that good for general purpose DD later on. 100% TP Spiral Hell numbers generally seem worse than Rampage, and Temperance Axe > Bahamut's Zaghnal.

The bigger question for me is why after the no-XP-loss change were neither of you using charmed pets? At 63 you can quite readily find EM pets around in the tree, which woulda been much better damage than the jugs you had.
    I don't know, I myself use and will continue to use a Wrath Tabar. I pair it up with Sentinel Shield for good effects, I hit a bit slower, but its not something that makes a huge difference. Higher damage and Rampage, its fine with me.

At any rate, the reason I wasn't using charmed pets was because I left my Apollo's at my Mog House, incidently. I brought an EM Spider with me to use, but when I went to reapply my Charm after a round, it failed, I used Tame, it was gone. So I just pulled out Funguar, which caps at level 65, no? Funguar has always been my pet of choice, probably will be until 66-67, if I can stretch it out that far. Silence Gas and Dark Spore is nothing to scoff at.

I don't know, it seems Scythe could be much better until 55 or 56 or whatever it was until you get Rampage. Nightmare Scythe is actually a decent lower level WS, and the added Blind is nice for soloing too.

Any BST's got /SAM leveled? Maybe it would be worth it to try Hasso?

I could try, if I could convince someone to invite me to a party... but I don't know how some extra acc and haste is going to help if the WS's are lackluster and the dot from regular hits isn't much better than axes.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition

Whatchoo talkin about willis. Zamtard BST are the ones who cried untill jugs were no longer exp leeches so they can exp in parties!