+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level

"Wow, you never played that?"

Okay. So I'm starting college soon and I don't really think I will want to spend as much time on FFXI as I have been lately. Not so much because the game has lost its entertainment value for me, but because I don't want to have obligations to a game and my linkshell (I know RL > game, but I still feel guilty sometimes, it's just how I am).

I decided I will try to finish the games that I never did (never finished any FF game except for Tactics, not even overhyped FF7), and play games that I never did. That's where I need you, BG! Outside of Final Fantasy series, I never played/looked into/had much interest in other RPGs. I need you to list me any RPG made for PS1/PS2 that would make you say to your friend "Wow, you never played that? What the fuck, why are you not playing it now?"

I don't even really know the names of good RPGs other than what's on the main page of this sub-forum, but for fear of spoiling any potential games, I don't really look into the threads.

Please help me BG, list me those awesome games you wouldn't believe I'd have never played before!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Re: "Wow, you never played that?"

Kingdom Hearts 1/2, Radiata Stories, Xenosaga 1/2/3, .hack//GU 1/2/3. Enjoy.

Grandia 1/2/3

Thank me later.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Betrayl At Krondor (do not play the sequel, I heard it was really really awful, and it also did not have Raymond Feist as a contributor like the original.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betrayal_at_Krondor

Pretty old school, but the story and character development were awesome. Doesn't hurt that it was actually made into a book by Raymond Feist, and the game was based on his Riftwar Saga series. Raymond was also a major contributor, which is why the game was so awesome.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

breath of fire 3 and 4 were fun

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Twentytwo Obv
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie

Fire Emblem and any Castlevania you haven't played especially symphony of the night.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had played Kingdom Hearts, forgot about it (subconsciously grouped it with Final Fantasy for whatever reason), but it was another that I never finished.

And a side note, how's Blue Dragon, Twentytwo (or anyone else who's playing/played it)?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I haven't actually played blue dragon, but from what I've seen so far of it, it seemed to be one of those "meh" games. The kind that isn't really bad enough for you to never play it again or anything, but isn't really good enough to get excited over. It looked kind of underwhelming for something coming from Sakaguchi/Uematsu/Toriyama and some of the characters looked way too uncomfortably similar to Dragon Ball Z characters. I'd probably go for other RPGs first and then, if I still had free time and nothing else to do, pick up blue dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwghads
    Betrayl At Krondor (do not play the sequel, I heard it was really really awful, and it also did not have Raymond Feist as a contributor like the original.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betrayal_at_Krondor

Pretty old school, but the story and character development were awesome. Doesn't hurt that it was actually made into a book by Raymond Feist, and the game was based on his Riftwar Saga series. Raymond was also a major contributor, which is why the game was so awesome.
    OMFG

How the hell did I not know about this game?

Fucking <33333333333 Raymond Feist!

brb searching for it!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bartylby
    breath of fire 3 and 4 were fun
    Never player 4, but I was going to say BoF 3. You mean I get to turn into like 1000s of different dragons and fuck fools up? SOLD.

Tales of Destiny

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Twentytwo Obv
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie

Blue dragon is really mediocre so far (I'm on the 3rd disc 25ish hours in). The battle system is really simple and the spell/abilites you get dont change much from the early ones, same animations for Fire1 and Fire6 so after a while fighting turns into a grind. There is 0 difficulty and I think I've died maybe 1-2 times since I've started. Basically the thing thats keep me playing are watching the many CG cut scenes and I'm pretty close to the end so I can't stop now. Overall its kinda just there as an RPG defiantly not a -must- play but it might be worth a couple hours to see if its your cup of tea or not.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Lufia 2.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Avernum 1/2/3

It's a graphical/engine overhaul of an older RPG series by the same company. It's a tight, fun little PC RPG that can last anywhere from 10-40 hours, depending on how much of a completist you are. At the very least, check out the free demos to see what you think. :3

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Twentytwo Obv
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie

There's also a thread on the BG wow forums just like this called "Recommended games that must be played before death" check it out, there are a lot of good suggestions.

http://www.theorderls.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14134

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Star Ocean 2/3. Lufia 2 first, though.
    edit: how did I forget VP1/2?

As for the Betrayal at Krondor, be careful. Some old games don't like XP/vista for various reasons. And be ready to read long pages of straight text if you want to understand any major events.

As that guy said, Return to Krondor wasn't so good. I got bored after the first chapter.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Tetris Battle Gaiden on the SNES

THE BEST TETRIS GAME EVER

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

My all time favorite are Xenosaga series and Xenogears. Xenogears had awesome story and gameplay, but it's getting pretty old now (10 years old). Still a must play if you like story driven rpg. Xenosaga gameplay kinda sucked, but the story is great.

Star Ocean 2-3 were pretty damn good.

Shadow Heart 2 is one of my favorite rpg as well (1 is suposed to be great too, but I never played it)

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

suikoden I-III, V

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Valkyrie Profile.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

For those that want to give Betrayl At Krondor a shot, here's a link to it. Sierra released it for free when Return To Krondor went live.

http://www.alt-tab.net/games/betrayal-a ... /download/

Keep in mind this game is OLD. You will probably have to tweak it to get it to run properly. Even then, the graphics will look like shit, and since it was CPU-bound, you will run at lightning speed everywhere. There's probably some app out there that can adjust the environment so that old games like this will run properly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast