+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dragonball Z Live Action movie

FOX acquired the rights to a live action adaptation of this back in like 2000.

It was just recently anounced to be going into production

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/n ... 2949303ea9

I just saw this while browsing the news over the weekend, and I forgot to post it. there are many more sites referencing it if you do a search.

What do you guys think?

Epic win?

Epic Fail?

The budget is going to be over 100 million dollars, so they have the funds to do what they want.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Re: Dragonball Z Live Action movie

I picture an hour and a half long film with about 45 minutes of it being taken up by them powering up. Atleast there will be pretty colors... Maybe?

I wonder how they are going to do everyone's hair.

It tells the story of an alien sent to destroy Earth, who has a change of heart and decides to join the humans in their fight against various aliens and bad guys.
    Absolutely not, goku lost his memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigor
    I picture an hour and a half long film with about 45 minutes of it being taken up by them powering up.
    I loled

I picture an hour and a half long film with about 45 minutes of it being taken up by them powering up. Atleast there will be pretty colors... Maybe?

Good question,

I think if they actually try to adapt all the quirky characters and jokes from the anime it will be obvioiusly retarded. What works in anime won't necessarily work with real actors lol.

If they change the tone of the story and make it more serious and believable I think they have the potential for another solid XMEN-like franchise.

Keep in mind the DBZ universe is extremely popular worldwide, billion dollar sales on the rehashes episodes and movies annually for FunImation.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

It will be a bunch of cosplay retards shooting cg beams at each other. Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Siniroth
    It tells the story of an alien sent to destroy Earth, who has a change of heart and decides to join the humans in their fight against various aliens and bad guys.
    Absolutely not, goku lost his memory.

Thats what I mean by modernising the story a bit. Goku bonks his head on a rock and loses his memory in the anime, they'll change it to a moral issue that he struggles with. Rumor mill says they have 4 movies being penned, one for each saga, but who knows..

Quote Originally Posted by Kisamoo
    I also read they are changing the costumes as well, like Goku's orange fiasco into a blue outfit. I'm guessing a similar approach to what they did with X-Men and their outfits.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kisamoo
    I also read they are changing the costumes as well, like Goku's orange fiasco into a blue outfit. I'm guessing a similar approach to what they did with X-Men and their outfits.
    You mean purple. 8)

Anyways, X-Men was an American series, so adapting the style wasn't that hard; whereas adapting DBZ's Japanese style may come off as a bit more awkward to American audiences.

For example, Mortal Kombat translated decently into a movie, whereas Dead or Alive became this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOA:_Dead_or_Alive.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I prefer the Chinese real live action version of dragonball.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Epic fail that will lead to jokes about "Imma firin' mah lazur" and "over 9000" reborn.

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Could go either way. I don't see it reaching any sort of middle ground on the "good scale" though. It will either be awesome or awful.

Wow it's gonna suck.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

It will depend on how they do it (obviously), if they do it like Shaolin Soccer but with fighting I think it could turn out to be a decent movie.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The original live action DB rocked yo.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    The original live action DB rocked yo.
    lol @ the cheap "drawn on" effects and roshi's shell

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiseran Gustaberg
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Akama

The movie has to be at least 4 hours long, cuz thats about how long it took for Namek to blow when it was on its five min. cooldown.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I can't see it being good, it's just going to be horribly awkward no matter what. First of all, the story was really simple and doesn't work well if you only take a small segment of it. The likeable character and joke is what made the manga good, and I don't see how it could be done in a live action movie that last 1h30.

The character design is also miles away from anything that inolve live action, unlike X-men. Goku's trademark is the spiky hair that get longer when he turn into a super sayan...stuff like that simply can't work on real actor

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

They could completely ignore the elements of DBZ and make a half-decent movie. I.e. ....nvm I was going to defend it, but I can only see it looking completely retarded.

Banned.

BG Level

It could be pretty decent. I wouldn't mind if they made Goku have a "change of heart" instead of just forgetting everything. They could show his mentor/"grandfather"/"father" show teach him good(until he gets killed by Monkey Goku). I guess they will cut out the entire original DB storyline lol.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Can't really deny that I'd watch it. I mean, I used to love DBZ when it was on Toonami. If only for nostalgia, I'll watch it, and it wouldn't really hurt my feelings if it sucked because I'm just not that kind of person who gets butthurt over things being drastically changed.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Did anyone see Casshern? Cause that's what I keep imagining when I try to picture an attempt at live action DBZ (mostly the weird imitation anime-style hair thing. And the actors taking themselves way to seriously).