• Fall 2010

3 3.16%
  • Later

29 30.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level

When do you think SE will start talking about a new MMO?

When do you think SE will reveal their new MMO. (May it be FFXI-2 or otherwise)

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Re: When do you think SE will start talking about a new MMO?

Voted later, because it is the right answer no matter what.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I said Fall 2009, giving WotG a year and a half of full-time coverage. Obviously they'll still have little content updates here and there, but SE will then start mentioning their new MMO to keep carrying the weight from an 8-year-old game.

<Blazer> IMO.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

There are a few ways to look at this:
    1. SE doesn't care about anything besides FF right now, and they don't want to try to make another FF MMO until they fix this one.
    2. SE thinks MMOs are old news now, and they're trying to predict what the next big genre is going to be.
    3. SE realizes they can't compete with Blizzard and is getting out of the MMO business as soon as FFXI subscriptions hit the server closing threshold.

In any case, the important part is I don't see SE making another MMO. Unless you've heard a rumor or something, in which case please share.

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    In any case, the important part is I don't see SE making another MMO. Unless you've heard a rumor or something, in which case please share.
    They're making one, just no details released.

I don't know. I think there's way too much money that can be earned with an MMO compared to a regular RPG...

It'll be after when FFXIII comes out.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

OK, if you have good information that SE is planning on making another MMO someday, here's my speculations:

They announce the title around Summer 2008 and it has nothing to do with FF. That means it's either some sort of spinoff from an Enix universe (too bad all the good ones are owned by Tri-Ace) or completely original. The setting is as far from the traditional swords+magic+monsters setting as they can get, which basically means some sort of combination of Star Ocean, Phantasy Star, and EVE. No matter what, if they have anything at all planned right now, they won't wait much more than a year to announce it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If it's as addicting as FFXI is they can go fuck themselves.

If SE learned anything from FFXI, they'll take most of what Blizzard does with mechanics, player care, and interaction, and wrap it up with SE's always good graphics, music and storytelling. If SE and Blizzard would make a hybrid of their two games, I would pay a hundred bucks, easy, for that MMO.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Venture
    If SE learned anything from FFXI, they'll take most of what Blizzard does with mechanics, player care, and interaction, and wrap it up with SE's always good graphics, music and storytelling, and then gimp it by releasing it on a console and locking later PC adopters into an immutable interface.
    fixed.

SE won't discuss a new MMO until next year at the absolute earliest. The worst thing they could do is offer another entry in a market (online gaming in general) about to be hit by Blizzards next two juggernauts (SC2 and the new WoW expansion).

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

well, all I know is that it is supposed to be a FF MMO located in an already existing FF world [Like, Tactics/XII, or something like that]
    But I could be wrong, it's just rumors.
    But it has been confirmed, for sure, that there are in the midst of developing a new FF MMO [SE even said in a FFXI interview not too long ago if my memory serves me right]
    8)

Relic Horn
    BG Level

The "immutable interface" isn't really the worst part of releasing on a console first. Trying to change around the interface halfway through the game cycle tends to give you a bunch of spaghetti code, making every expansion and patch after the first 2 years or so result in a load of bugs and grief for anyone trying to play it, especially on old hardware. I'm basing this on EQ1, of course, where they actually overhauled the interface and slapped on some "updated" higher-poly player character models at the 3 year mark. Then the next expansion was missing half of its content and they wouldn't admit it, and the game was unplayable for a day or two after every major patch. Compared to that, FFXI's graphics and interface are perfect just the way they are.

The worst mistakes SE made with the original FFXI framework were the stupid network crap they did like unsecured UDP connections and hardcapped throughput. That sort of stuff has less to do with the PS2 specifications than it does with SE not having made an online game before.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The worst mistakes SE made with the original FFXI framework were the stupid network crap they did like unsecured UDP connections and hardcapped throughput. That sort of stuff has less to do with the PS2 specifications than it does with SE not having made an online game before.
    God, they really need to go and rewrite that networking code, no matter how painful it is to code to begin with. Just looking at the number of ports alone they recommend you keep open for the game shows how sloppy the coding is....
    (over NINE THOUSAND! Literally)

But yeah, thanks to their network coding I get to deal with the ITs at my residence I just moved into to try and get the bloody game to not D/C every 5min while everything else runs perfectly fine....

Anyways, new MMO? Won't happen until Windows Vista is the mainstream OS imo, they said themselves their next MMO will be 360/PS3/Vista only for the time, and as it stands, not much profit to be made from Vista users with its current majority userbase consisting of people with laptops with only decent integrated graphics chips.

Winter 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Correct answer. This game sucked up 3 years of my life and I quit cold turkey thankfully. Give me a game that isn't so damn time intensive. I can't compete with jobless losers for a piece of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    Correct answer. This game sucked up 3 years of my life and I quit cold turkey thankfully. Give me a game that isn't so damn time intensive. I can't compete with jobless losers for a piece of gear.
    Although if they make another MMO they'll be stupid if they make it less addicting...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The correct answer to the topic question is: They already have.

They've been talking about an MMO for quite some time now, but usually only when asked in an interview.

They just refuse to give any details, yet.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by octopus
    Although if they make another MMO they'll be stupid if they make it less addicting...
    I had to drop all my r/ex to make sure I could go through the cold turkey (after attempting it twice and ended up coming back..)

I'm sure my ls-mates didn't appreciate me tossing a ridill and an adaberk though... >.> But I wasn't going to hand the char over either, because I knew I would just end up playing the damn thing again somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by octopus
    I had to drop all my r/ex to make sure I could go through the cold turkey (after attempting it twice and ended up coming back..)

I'm sure my ls-mates didn't appreciate me tossing a ridill and an adaberk though... >.> But I wasn't going to hand the char over either, because I knew I would just end up playing the damn thing again somehow.
    It got to the point in my LS where at least 15-20 toons were controlled by 3-4 people...like they were goddamn soul collectors or something just collecting characters.