BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Re: 6 nukes fly over the US unnoticed

Im surprized they wernt 'mistakenly' dropped.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

seriously how does something like that happen? it's like a series of "accidents", somewhere along the line someone shoulda stopped it from happening.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I'm getting real tired of US bullshit... I know whats going to happen next and it isn't going to be pretty me thinks! Ugh... I think I need to move to Canada or something.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Disturbing.

It's troublesome enough that there is always the threat of an outside attack of some sort. I'm sure nuclear warheads are transported a lot, but the fact that they didn't even know is just...sick.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Illidan

Wow, that is disturbing...

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Im surprized they wernt 'mistakenly' dropped.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Hans Brix, oh no!

Odds were it was going to happen sometime. Tens of thousands of flights with or without dozens of different warheads over the US by every branch of the US armed services. You've prolly had at, at one point in your life, a ton or more of deadly warheads over your head that you didn't even know about. They've been doing these kind of things with and without accidents for decades. As disturbing as one foul-up is, statistically, someone, somewhere was going to make the kind of logistical or mental error that would lead to this kind of thing.

Pity whoever is ultimately responsible. Kiss your career good-bye, if they don't choose as well to make you serve time for it.

Edit: Jeezus F. Science, I cannot spell this morning.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, since the plane went over mid-western states people may be able to focus for more than the usual 3 second attention span.

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Can think of a few places where I wouldn't have minded......

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Apparently somebody did notice.

I'll have to read the article now to see if 6 nukes flew over the US via transport as cargo, or if they were launched and nobody noticed 6 warheads flying overhead when they looked up (as the title implies).

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin

I'll have to read the article now to see if 6 nukes flew over the US via transport as cargo, or if they were launched and nobody noticed 6 warheads flying overhead when they looked up (as the title implies).
    The title didn't imply anything. You did.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by thestalkmore
    Can think of a few places where I wouldn't have minded......

Don't exactly dumb drop a nuclear warhead on someone and have it explode. Things aren't designed to explode on the ground, anyhow. You have to arm them and prep them to airburst over targets so the blast pretty much flattens everything below it. They were carrying it on their wings, so if it fell of or released, it would have been about as effective as one-ton sack of rocks landing wherever it landed. You'd have to be sheer more magnitudes of stupid on the ground crew to not notice the difference between arming a conventional bomb, and a nuclear one. Imagine if they had tried to arm it, we wouldn't have heard about it, because the mistake would have became obvious.

People get their panties in a wad anytime you say 'nuclear' and 'America'. It's pretty typical American ignorance on any subject to react to a flashy headline. Especially those that have political slander, or center around a hotbed issue of the time. You want some really kooky logistics and security issues pertaining to nuclear weapons handling? Travel to Russia. Half the time we're not even sure their government is in control of their military, much less their nuclear arsenal. Compared to them, our shit smells like cologne.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Venture
    Don't exactly dumb drop a nuclear warhead on someone and have it explode. Things aren't designed to explode on the ground, anyhow. You have to arm them and prep them to airburst over targets so the blast pretty much flattens everything below it. They were carrying it on their wings, so if it fell of or released, it would have been about as effective as one-ton sack of rocks landing wherever it landed. You'd have to be sheer more magnitudes of stupid on the ground crew to not notice the difference between arming a conventional bomb, and a nuclear one. Imagine if they had tried to arm it, we wouldn't have heard about it, because the mistake would have became obvious.

People get their panties in a wad anytime you say 'nuclear' and 'America'. It's pretty typical American ignorance on any subject to react to a flashy headline. Especially those that have political slander, or center around a hotbed issue of the time. You want some really kooky logistics and security issues pertaining to nuclear weapons handling? Travel to Russia. Half the time we're not even sure their government is in control of their military, much less their nuclear arsenal. Compared to them, our shit smells like cologne.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Summary just in case anyone didn't want to read all that:
    nukes do not work that way.

edit: wordfilters are fun!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco
    Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin

The title didn't imply anything. You did.
    I don't know, without reading the article, I think the title does imply 6 nuclear warheads were launched and flew over US soil and nobody looked up. It'd be like if I wrote an article titled "6 chicken nuggets fly over the US unnoticed". People's first vision would be of 6 chicken nuggets in the air and nobody looking, rather the nuggets being tucked away on a plane (or under its wings).

Banned.
    Account locked at request of user.

BG Level

OPE

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Venture beat me to it. Even "fat man" blew up above the [Nagasaki] city (I didn't wiki, just remembered) before turning it into dust.

Besides, haven't you guys seen movies where you have to input codes and turn two keys at the same time etc. to activate the warheads? The thing won't just blow up even if it's dropped <_<;