BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

End of the internet nearing?

This is something thats been going on for a while but lately it hasn't been going as well. The Justice Department seems to be against net neutrality and it's not looking too good.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2180557,00.asp

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: End of the internet nearing?

*Gasp*

The government favoring the wealthy over the rest of us! What an astonishing and wholly unpredictable turn of events!

I need money. STAT

I will start a riot in the streets if tiered internet legislation passes.

Like, pitchforks and Molotov cocktails.

Fuck that shit.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Didn't Janet Reno try to do this before?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Kiss BG website goodbye if this passes. I mean, it'll still exist, but you won't be able to get to it, or it will run about as fast as KI.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Question:

Can we start a second internet of our own? Like an internet2 or something.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Question:

The second version of the Internet/WWW is actually already up and running, albeit not publicly.

http://www.internet2.edu/

Uses fiber optics and new protocols as far as I know. I think we need to focus on getting the legislation for net neutrality set in stone as opposed to trying to create another Internet. It would only be a matter of time before the government would step in if there's a precedent set with what's happening now.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwghads
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Question:

The second version of the Internet/WWW is actually already up and running, albeit not publicly.

http://www.internet2.edu/

Uses fiber optics and new protocols as far as I know. I think we need to focus on getting the legislation for net neutrality set in stone as opposed to trying to create another Internet. It would only be a matter of time before the government would step in if there's a precedent set with what's happening now.
    Damn your logic. I guess making an internet3 then won't work. :/

And I don't have the power to stop money hungry politicians. I think if they do ban it they will probably repeal it though. I mean the internet is super popular, if something like this goes through I can imagine lots of protests/internet use decline or something.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

There is no "tiered internet legislation", the legislation is over whether net neutrality should be the law or just the more or less tradition that it has been for the last 40 years. The Justice Department probably just doesn't understand the problems with creating a tiered internet, or the massive resistance any ISP would be looking at if they tried.

Unless I paid even less attention in networking class than I though, there's no way an ISP could prevent someone who knows what they're doing from getting around any tier setup. Short of actually building new wires or trying to design a new protocol at least.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I saw something like this a long time ago. I think its kinda pathetic the way things are going, we are bringing back the old systems of "if your rich your endowed and if your poor your worthless". I thought the whole concept of democracy was to bring each person into equality, I guess I was wrong.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by sephir
    I saw something like this a long time ago. I think its kinda pathetic the way things are going, we are bringing back the old systems of "if your rich your endowed and if your poor your worthless". I thought the whole concept of democracy was to bring each person into equality, I guess I was wrong.
    Needs moar Communism imo.

netz

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    There is no "tiered internet legislation", the legislation is over whether net neutrality should be the law or just the more or less tradition that it has been for the last 40 years. The Justice Department probably just doesn't understand the problems with creating a tiered internet, or the massive resistance any ISP would be looking at if they tried.

Unless I paid even less attention in networking class than I though, there's no way an ISP could prevent someone who knows what they're doing from getting around any tier setup. Short of actually building new wires or trying to design a new protocol at least.
    They can packet shape your connection into something utterly worthless for anything interactive, regardless of which protocol you use, or which hosts you access.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

im not suggesting communism in any way, I think that if theres any lesson to be learned from the Soviet Union its that it doesnt work. Im just saying that in several aspects of services there are becoming 2 tiers and they are getting further and further apart; Healthcare, Schools etc. Call me liberal but I just think that anyone living within a a nation thats as wealthy as the ones we live in should have access to to fair and equitable treatment regardless of financial standing.

Banned.

BG Level

capitalism =/= democracy.

Building a city out in international waters and making my own ISP. WHO'S WITH ME? we cud b lyk stargate atlantis ^- ^

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro
    Building a city out in international waters and making my own ISP. WHO'S WITH ME? we cud b lyk stargate atlantis ^- ^
    Temping... With or without the Wraith?

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I wanted to ask. Are we (US) not on the bottom of the bucket when it comes to speed/availability/reliability/quality over price when it comes to internet service worldwide?

We would be the joke of the entire world if the government did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwelch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiro
    Tempting... With or without the Wraith?

I'll toss in a few now and then, of course they'll probably just be disgruntled asian teenagers dressed up as Wraith. After all our majestic city will need cheap and reliable power! And what better resource is there than shitty ricer vehicle engines to run our generators? They are plentiful thanks to the efforts of The Fast & The Furious! It's an almost unlimited supply of powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. BWAAHRBRSBjcxzczxgag